“Good Location and Walking Distance to the Wharf”

Howard Johnson Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Ranked #40 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Had a Great Stay and very good Staff

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed October 26, 2007

We stayed here for a long weekend in October. The room wasn't too bad, pretty small but had all the amenities- mini fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, hair dryer and iron. The decor was dated and the linens were not anything I would want at home. The wallpaper was peeling and the room in general just needs to be redone. What I did like was the little "porch" we had in front of our room with a little table and chairs, with a view of the ocean it was wonderful to sit and drink a beer. The location couldn't be better, about 2 blocks from the boardwalk and the pier, there's a lot to do within walking distance. The free breakfast is the standard stale packaged pastries, plus some corn flakes and apples. I've definitley paid less and gotten more at other motels, but this wasn't so bad that I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2007

We have been staying at the Ramada for many years every time we visit Santa Cruz. It is always clean, convenient, great location, good continental breakfast and warm reception from the Managers and Owner. Santa Cruz is a very relaxed beach town and this Ramada keeps that relaxation feel during your stay. The Managers are excellent and not only attend to your needs but also keep the place quiet and orderly for its guests. That will be to the dismay of "partiers" and those that want to disrupt other guests. But it makes this place the best for guests that want a relaxed and welcome vacation.

We will continue to stay and recommend this Ramada because of great Managers and Owner.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2007

Don't Stay At this Hotel!!!!!I just tried to book a room and when I questioned the woman on the phone about the roomsaver coupon they offer, which did not agree with what she was telling me, she hung up. When I called back they refused to answer the phone and after the third time a man (claiming to be the general manager) answered and when I asked whether there was a woman also answering the phone he said in very angry tone "not a woman a lady" and he proceeded to scream at me and told me never to call again. These people are rude and liars. I can only imagine what the hotel must be like. I have also filed a report with Ramada Inc.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank wowinca
Reviewed July 24, 2007

At first the Ramada santa cruz fishermans wharf seemed nice, but after the first night we went to the beach and when we came back to the room after maid service, I found my hair conditioner (Joico) gone and a pair of jeans were missing too. I believe they were stolen out of our room!
Then, we were checking out and the owner (an arab man) came to the room with a camera and said "I'm taking pictures to document the filth." Now, for $300.00 a night, I think you can leave some chips on the floor and empty bottles on the desk!!!!
I was appaulled at the way we were treated. Then when my husband went in to try and work it all out, the man said we owed $150.00 extra. Then he said he was calling the cops! I would NEVER stay at the Ramada again anywhere. I do NOT recommed it at all.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank muwaaaa
Reviewed September 8, 2006

My husband and two teenage girls and I stayed here for 5 days in August. We had heard really bad and some okay reviews about this place. Here are the good and bad:

Good - Location - short block walk to the pier. Very close for surf lessons from Ed's. Skatepark next door provided hours of free entertainment for my girls. We felt safe there at all times. We were on the first floor but the hotel is up on a little hill, so no problems there.
Good - room size - the room was decent sized and we had a walk in closet - not fancy mind you - but big enough to put our stuff out of the way so we weren't always tripping on it.
Good - it was clean. The outside halls were clean, the hot tub was clean (and very hot) the office was clean, the breakfast area was clean, and the parking lot outside areas were clean. The maids did a good job at cleaning our rooms everyday - got rid of all the sand from the beach, clean sheets, fresh towels.
Good - price was right. 115 during the weekdays and I thing 169 on the weekends.
Good - plenty of parking. We didn't drive much - mostly walked to the beach, pier, boardwalk.
Room had a fridge and microwave. Good pressure in the shower - but we had to run the water for a while for it to get hot.
Beds were very comfortable.

Now for the just 'okay' and not so okay...... The air conditioning worked to block out noises of the nearby streets, but it didn't get cold. It was comfortable though, we were never hot ---- but it didn't seem to get all the moisture out of the air. Now, that being said, I think it is always humid near the ocean so it may have been just me. But there was a definite musty smell under our bathroom cabinet. I just didn't put anything under there.
And the couple that run the place - he is as pleasant and good natured as can be - very nice guy. She is not friendly at all. She answered questions when asked, but not a friendly person. As for breakfast, it is sparse but there is food: frosted flakes, regular corn flakes, apples, packaged rolls, coffee, orange juice. It was enough to get our day started. We bought other items and kept them in our room.

Some reviews have said this place is run down - I didn't find that to be so. I didn't see any peeling paint, wallpaper, etc. It was basic and clean. No fancy extras, but hey, we didn't come to California to sit in our room! (although one night we were very sunburned and did sit in our room and enjoy the cable television :-)

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank Julie D
Reviewed August 1, 2006

Stay away from this dishonest establishment! I booked a two night stay there last week because the prices seemed reasonable for the area, despite the fact that the property looked pretty dumpy in the photos provided on the website. When we had to rearrange our trip, I called the hotel directly (prior to the 72 hour cancellation deadline) and cancelled my reservations. The friendly lady at the desk said no problem, that we were all set, and that they would see us another time. She did not, however, offer a cancellation number, and I didn't think to ask for one. Big mistake!!

However, I just received a letter in the mail saying that they charged us anyway, and that we were considered a "No Show." I immediately called the hotel again to question this. The same woman answered, said she remembered me, said that their records showed that I cancelled, and that she would try to get to the bottom of why I was charged.

I then received a phone message from the manager (owner?) who stated that in order to cancel reservations you have to call the 800 number, and that the hotel directly does not accept cancellations. Again, I called back and spoke to the same woman, who then denied ever having told me that she had a record of my cancellation. After a very heated and angry exchange, the manager refused to refund my money and told me to take it up with my credit card company, which I did. What a nightmare!

Please do not stay at this hotel. They are in the business of trying to swindle travelers out of a quick $200! I have traveled all over the world and have never come across a more dishonest property who would lie so blatently to make a quick buck.. They are currently being investigated by my credit card company and I have reported them to Ramada Limited as well. Do yourself a favor and stay away!

Stayed: July 2006