“Great hotel for the price”

Howard Johnson Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Ranked #40 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We just spent 2 nights here and have nothing but good things to say. The location was great (walking distance to wharf and boardwalk), the room was VERY clean and also quiet. Bathroom had plenty of towels and I LOVED the powerful shower head! The rooms don't have a lot of extra room; but since we only used the room for sleeping, it was just fine.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank StocktonEar

Reviewed July 31, 2012

The kitchen in the room we stayed in smelled horribly of stale bacon grease. It was totally overwhelming and gross. Thankfully there was a door to close to the kitchen. The table and chairs in the kitchen look like they belong in a halfway house. I was put-off by the notice that the "guest" must not only clean the kitchen if they use it (something common in rentals, but not in hotels I've stayed in), but also take the garbage to the dumpster themselves.

Saving grace was it's proximity to the Boardwalk. I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2012

While Hojo's don't have the greatest reputation, I couldn't pas up the relatively low rate for a busy weekend visit to Santa Cruz. Rooms were plain but clean and nicely-appointed and continentla breakfast left something to be desired. The location is stellar, however with views of the ocean and the boardwalk, walking distance to the beach, boardwalk, downtown. Car not needed during stay! Yark at the front desk was very nice and the whole experience was great!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bingenheimer
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed in quite a few motels like this one on our recent trip to America. The Howard Johnson was everything that it promised...clean, comfortable and close to Fishermans Wharf. The breakfast is fine, its the usual American motel breakfast; there were lots of towels and toilettries and the shower was amazing! We did get woken up in the middle of night by some idiot arriving back at the motel in his convertable with stereo on full blast, however we did have our window open! Other than that we had a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank newhubclan
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We just happened to be checking into this hotel when the complainant was on the phone having the conversation with the front desk about not allowing the 18 year-old daughter to check in. We can attest that the front desk staff, Christina was not being rude but just trying to explain over and over to the caller that policy did not allow an 18 year-old to check in and that there was nothing she could do about that. Christina was polite, did not get angry but the caller was obviously not listening and kept redialing, even apparently threatening to get a lawyer if they didn't get their way. Our sympathies were with the hotel staff. How awful to have to put up with unreasonable guests who seem incapable of understanding standard hotel operating policies.
Our experience of this hotel and staff was all positive. A lovely place to stay at a reasonable price. John and Gill

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gillian G
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I booked the room on Expedia for my 18yr old daughter. I found out that you had to be 21 to check into this hotel. I called to ask them about it and the lady, Christina, was very rude and hung up on me. I called back and said no problem that since I booked the room and it was non-refundable I said my wife and I would stay in the room and find another place for my daughter. She started yelling at me and said I was trying to scam them and hung up on me again. I called back again and asked to speak to the manager. A male got on the phone and started yelling and cursing at me. He then said that he cancelled my reservation and I would not get my money back. Every time I called back to resolve the issue he would yell at me and hang the phone up.

I ended up getting my money back from Expedia only after he yelled and cursed at the operator from Expedia who was helping me. It's unbelievable that this place even operates and the Expedia uses them. I did speak to one lady at the desk who was nice and apologized for the Managers attitude. Don't ever go this place it is very low class..

Darren

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2012

The Howard Johnson has a great location, but the Continental Breakfast is awful. Terrible coffee, corn flakes, frosted flakes, milk (good), grocery Danish (ugh), Wonder Bread style brown bread, Peter Pan Creamy peanut butter, margarine, apples, a few jams. Period!

The WiFi was fine. We had a view of some of the town. But, the building is very old and there is wood rot. Lots of towels and bathroom supplies. Nice people. But, the breakfast offerings kill it for us. Why pay for breakfast and then have to go out to a restaurant for a decent one?

Room Tip: Ask for a spacious room (some are tiny) on the ground floor.