“Location and Price = Great stay!”

Howard Johnson Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Los Angeles
“Location and Price = Great stay!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

While Hojo's don't have the greatest reputation, I couldn't pas up the relatively low rate for a busy weekend visit to Santa Cruz. Rooms were plain but clean and nicely-appointed and continentla breakfast left something to be desired. The location is stellar, however with views of the ocean and the boardwalk, walking distance to the beach, boardwalk, downtown. Car not needed during stay! Yark at the front desk was very nice and the whole experience was great!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bingenheimer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We stayed in quite a few motels like this one on our recent trip to America. The Howard Johnson was everything that it promised...clean, comfortable and close to Fishermans Wharf. The breakfast is fine, its the usual American motel breakfast; there were lots of towels and toilettries and the shower was amazing! We did get woken up in the middle of night by some idiot arriving back at the motel in his convertable with stereo on full blast, however we did have our window open! Other than that we had a good nights sleep.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank newhubclan
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We just happened to be checking into this hotel when the complainant was on the phone having the conversation with the front desk about not allowing the 18 year-old daughter to check in. We can attest that the front desk staff, Christina was not being rude but just trying to explain over and over to the caller that policy did not allow an 18 year-old to check in and that there was nothing she could do about that. Christina was polite, did not get angry but the caller was obviously not listening and kept redialing, even apparently threatening to get a lawyer if they didn't get their way. Our sympathies were with the hotel staff. How awful to have to put up with unreasonable guests who seem incapable of understanding standard hotel operating policies.
Our experience of this hotel and staff was all positive. A lovely place to stay at a reasonable price. John and Gill

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gillian G
Vacaville, California
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I booked the room on Expedia for my 18yr old daughter. I found out that you had to be 21 to check into this hotel. I called to ask them about it and the lady, Christina, was very rude and hung up on me. I called back and said no problem that since I booked the room and it was non-refundable I said my wife and I would stay in the room and find another place for my daughter. She started yelling at me and said I was trying to scam them and hung up on me again. I called back again and asked to speak to the manager. A male got on the phone and started yelling and cursing at me. He then said that he cancelled my reservation and I would not get my money back. Every time I called back to resolve the issue he would yell at me and hang the phone up.

I ended up getting my money back from Expedia only after he yelled and cursed at the operator from Expedia who was helping me. It's unbelievable that this place even operates and the Expedia uses them. I did speak to one lady at the desk who was nice and apologized for the Managers attitude. Don't ever go this place it is very low class..

Darren

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Willits, CA
Reviewed January 9, 2012

The Howard Johnson has a great location, but the Continental Breakfast is awful. Terrible coffee, corn flakes, frosted flakes, milk (good), grocery Danish (ugh), Wonder Bread style brown bread, Peter Pan Creamy peanut butter, margarine, apples, a few jams. Period!

The WiFi was fine. We had a view of some of the town. But, the building is very old and there is wood rot. Lots of towels and bathroom supplies. Nice people. But, the breakfast offerings kill it for us. Why pay for breakfast and then have to go out to a restaurant for a decent one?

Room Tip: Ask for a spacious room (some are tiny) on the ground floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Modesto, California
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Looking to re-charge our internal batteries and cleanse ourselves of the day to day drama we chose this property,the Website is very accurate and the "Off the beaten Path" location made it nice yet it was close enough to stroll to our destinations,Probably our favorite part of the property was our own private deck overlooking the Wharf area,we used the Micro to heat some snacks and the Fridge to keep our Adult Beverages cool and enjoyed the view...The staff was both friendly and helpful,property clean and the rooms were small but fit our needs..We'll be back

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the balcony !
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BAD92HD
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 7, 2011

My family (2 adults and 4 high school/college age kids) stayed here for 2 nights. The location is fantastic - literally across the street from the beach, Fisherman's Wharf, and the Boardwalk.

We had 3 rooms and all were clean and comfortable. No issues with street noise, AC/Heater, or weird smells that other reviewers have reported. It was a perfect beachside motel and even had a deck/patio for each room to sit out and enjoy the ocean view or hang up sandy/wet beach clothes. Ask for a room with an ocean view!

Breakfast was very simple - coffee, tea, oatmeal, cereal, and pastries - but we didn't expect much else from a motel.

Room Tip: AAA discount was substantial; ask for a beach view room that faces the wharf
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family