“4 Adults + 1 room = Great family vacation!”
Review of Babbling Brook Inn

Ranked #1 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 17, 2013

It's very difficult to find a place where we can stay with our two adult children and all be comfortable. I was so excited to see that they had a room with 2 queen beds. It is the Contessa room, and yes, it is close to the street, but we always travel with a white noise machine for sleeping, so traffic noise wasn't a problem at all. The beds were very comfortable, and the room is spacious enough that we weren't bumping into each other all the time. Plus, there are so many lovely outdoor sitting places to read or chat - not to mention the cozy breakfast area which has comfy couches and a nice fire going in the fireplace all day long. We were so impressed with the high quality food and wine served at the evening wine reception. Such a perfect way to wind down after a day of sightseeing. And the breakfasts are tasty and filling, with an egg dish and fresh fruit served every morning along with assorted breads and cereals.

If you are a stickler about things being new and in prime condition, this room may not be the place for you. But if you love comfort, hospitality, clean rooms, helpful staff and a beautiful garden setting, then I highly recommend this place! Oh, and because I had stayed at one of their other inns a few years back and put my name on their email list, I knew about a mid-week special they were offering and was able to book our room at a great discount!

Room Tip: Contessa has the most traffic noise, but if you bring a white noise machine, it's not a problem...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent Valentine's weekend in Santa Cruz, and decided to stay at the Babbling Brook. What a lovely place! It's like a hidden forest retreat in the middle of town. Our room was cozy and romantic. There was even a fireplace that warmed the room nicely. The staff is professional and friendly. We're planning to make this an annual trip, and the Babbling Brook is our first choice to stay at!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My college-age daughter and I spent a long weekend at the Babbling Brook Inn in late March. Great location: woodsy setting within walking distance of downtown, yet easy access to 101. Breakfast generous and tasty; evening wine and snacks a special treat, especially outside on one of the many decks. We had the Contessa Room, which has 2 beds, which is difficult to find at B&Bs. (Why the assumption at so many places that two people travelling are necessarily a couple? I also note the choices below for what sorts of trip: a family doesn't necessarily mean little kids....so I'll click on the "Friends" option.) The room was beautifully appointed, the bathroom well equipped and the beds as comfortable as any I've ever slept in. Room is noisy due to the street outside the window, but the Inn is very honest about this on its website. My daughter not bothered by the noise, but I don't like traffic noise. The staff was friendly and helpful without being intrusive. We got some good advice about restaurants and walking/hiking routes.

Room Tip: Probably the farther in from the street the quieter the room. Contessa Room close to street but beau...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My husband and I went for our one year anniversary, we couldn't have picked a better place! It was so romantic and great location!!I would renew our vows there that's how beautiful it is in person!I'd go back every time I go to Santa Cruz!!! :-)

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We were traveling the Pacific Hwy on our 10 year wedding anniversary and we started in San Francisco with no plans, 9 days and a flight out of LA. We decided to stop in Santa Cruz for 1 night. We stayed at the Babbling Brook Inn- hotel selection is fairly limited in Santa Cruz. Cheese & wine reception nice, staff helpful, beds amazing- décor really needs updating.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank graceleigh
Inns by the Sea C, Operations Manager at Babbling Brook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for the lovely review! I'm happy to say we're in the process of updating our rooms and just finished a remodel of the Tennyson Suite and Artist's Retreat. I hope we'll see you again in Santa Cruz.

Happy Travels!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I came here so I could run the Santa Cruz 1/2 Marathon. We loved that the Inn was a 15 minute walk down to the boardwalk, and not right in the craziness. The beds were so comfortable, and the brook "babbled" us to sleep both nights. The snacks and wine in the evening were great. The staff was SO wonderful, yet chill and didn't bother us too much...We will come here again and again!

Room Tip: If you want to hear the brook, select Sicily. If you want a bit more privacy from people walking th...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alisondra1
Inns by the Sea C, Operations Manager at Babbling Brook Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thanks so much for your kind words, we love being at the Babbling Brook Inn and I'm so glad you did too. I hope we can welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The Babbling Brook Inn is conveniently located close to downtown Santa Cruz and to the boardwalk. Drawback: the street it's on is very busy, even at night, and traffic can be disturbing for those light sleepers looking for calm..
Otherwise, the Inn has a very nice setting, the rooms -most of them looking more like small cabins- immaculate and cozy and front-desk service sweet and efficient.
Breakfast offers a good choice of cold items, and is served in a nice-looking lounge where late afternoon wine and cheese can be enjoyed.
Although nothing stands out of the ordinary for that price range, the place certainly has its quaint charm. It's a welcoming B & B, where you feel good and wish to return to. A very good option in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back side are quieter
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank frequent_dinerParis

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I appreciate your balanced reviews and your feedback gives us valuable tips on how to improve. I hope we will see you again!