“I would go again but it has its ups and downs”
Review of Assembly

Assembly
Ranked #65 of 380 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Went to Assembly on a busy Santa Cruz (UCSC graduation) weekend night. We had a reservation and they honored it quickly - even letting drop ins wait (which I know is the right thing to do but many restaurants do not do this well). Our group of 4 tried items from across the menu - starting with some good craft beers and salads. Even though it was very busy, the staff was very attentive (although not as outwardly friendly as one usually gets in Santa Cruz - but it was a very busy evening). Two of us ordered the short ribs and the flavor was very good. It was an appropriately sized portion and what I expected - and the flavoring was wondrous and the meat was tender. Sop why did I give it only a '4' rating? There are a lot of community tables and apparently when you reserve a table you need to specify that in advance (I was going for the first time so I didn't know that and they did not ask me so even with open non-community tables, we couldn't sit at one); the menu is not extensive - so I suggest you review it before making your reservation. And, by Santa Cruz standards, the price was slightly higher than the other nice restaurants I've gone to. All in though, I would go to Assembly again.

1  Thank jeffreyjfred

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Super quality, relatively new downtown restaurant offering excellent food at decent prices, Hard to describe the type of food but its more of a European style than American
Well cooked food using fresh ingredients was beautifully presented by knowledgeable staff, the wine list was well chosen and we were able to taste before making our bottle choice and the home made bread was to die for

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stopped by a few months after this restaurant opened figuring they had worked the bugs out with wait times and service. I put my phone on the table with the timer running. After waiting 45 minutes for a table (we didn't have reservations), we waited another 30 minutes before the waiter came by and he asked if the timer was for him. Dud! We were given water and bread. It was another 45 minutes before our food was served. Some of the food was cold and we had to send it back. Food was decent, but atmosphere with deer antlers didn't match the menu. Will go back in a few more months to see if service improves. By the way this is family style seating and you maybe sitting with other parties.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

A new gem in the downtown area, which was SO needed on Pacific Ave. If you care at all about the quality of ingredients, locally supported small scale farming, good prices and a lively/positive atmosphere...this place is a must. Can get really busy, so if you're looking for a quiet, intimate dinner, best to go early or avoid Thurs - Sat nights. Have been numerous times to sample the entire menu, and can honestly say I've yet to be disappointed. Staff seem to all enjoy working together and the owners always have a presence. Good people, good food....top notch.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

We were all excited here in Santa Cruz when the owners of Penny Ice Creamery and Picnic Basket opened this new venture so expectations were high. I've only been once but I was a little disappointed. The hamburger was good but a little small and over cooked, the fries were ordinary and the acoustics with a full house made it to hard to hear my partner talking, the waiter had to shout as well. I may give it another chance because I want to see it succeed.