“nice stay but it wasn't as great as reviews made it out to be”
Review of Redwood Croft

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz
Redwood Croft
Ranked #6 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We booked this B&B because it is rated #2 out of the 15 B&Bs and Inns in Santa Cruz on this site and highly rated on other sites. We went with high expectations because of this. We stayed in the East Room which has skylights looking out at the redwood trees.

Pros: Sitah was nice, they are very dog friendly, breakfast was simple but good, the location was peaceful and beautiful, they have wifi, small refrigerator in room

Cons: a large patch of paint was peeling right next to one of the skylights, cobwebs around the beams, a ball of dog hair in the corner of the room, the soaking tub was practically unusable because in order to get over the 4' high wall you had to use step stools and it wasn't comfy once you got in, they don't take credit cards, toilet was in a room the size of a small closet

Also we saw the "private" hot tub for the Garden Room from our room and from along the trail that anyone can walk on, so not as private as you would think.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Penny510
sitah c, Owner at Redwood Croft, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Guest - We are so disappointed that your expectations of RC and your experience here didn't match up. I gave your review my best consideration because our aim is to accommodate guests with a comfortable and peaceful environment, attention to individual needs, and delicious custom breakfasts. I thought about your objection to our use of the word "private" in conjunction with the outdoor jacuzzi spa -- and realized that when I use that description, I mean Exclusive to the guests staying in the Garden room. The tub is surrounded by an enclosure and foliage we feel provides enough "privacy," and fortunately, no one has ever mentioned feeling watched or seen by other guests - again that goes to our commitment to comfort even in a natural, woodsy setting. I can see, though, that "private" can also connote hidden or invisible to others, so I think I might change that word at our upcoming website update. You can be sure that I will show your comments to my crew for consideration, and hopefully as a motivator to keep ahead of those corners and the cobwebs, so prolific in these rural parts! Thanks for your comments. If there is something additional we can do to address them, please let us know.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

This is a small B&B, only three rooms. It is a bit more expensive than we usually pay, but I really wanted to stay in the redwoods I learned to love as a child. After exploring the grounds and seeing the room, I can easily say it is worth every penny. The Redwood Croft is converted from a private home. We have what was once the master bedroom, the West room, it has its own kitchenette, balcony, large bedroom and a large bath with a huge shower. From every window you see the redwood trees, birds, and critters. The grounds are a little less than acre, but the vegetation is so dense you can barely find the fence. It is fully fenced and our dog was allowed to run anywhere she wanted. I kept a fairly close on eye on her and read outside to supervise her and relax. She found the scents took her everywhere. Usually she stays close to me, but here she couldn't stand it and followed her nose everywhere. There are tiny paths to hidden chairs, benches, a ping pong table, even a trampoline hidden in the trees for visitors to check out. The first morning we made our dog stay on the balcony (it has a gate) while we went down for breakfast, but the owner, Seta, insisted she be let out to join us in the downstairs breakfast area. They also have a dog, a terrier. (They had a German Shepherd for a long time, so the property is fenced for both small and large dogs.)

Breakfast was wonderful and not repeated in the three days we were there. My favorite was the pancakes with poached pears.

Every detail at this place, from the food to the decorations in the room to the clever landscaping additions of benches and artwork, is delightful to discover. As we read on the deck we heard light jazz playing in the background. It was easy to relax and forget the world we had left behind for the three nights we enjoyed at this B&B. I would love to return someday.

Room Tip: We loved the West room, but I would think any of the three would be wonderful.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
sitah c, Owner at Redwood Croft, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thanks so much for your beautifully expressed review. It captured so many nice details -- and your photos are great, taken from perspectives I hadn't seen before. We're so glad you had a relaxing and enjoyable visit - that means so very much to us at RC.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

One of the best hidden retreats surrounded by a huge redwood trees! The front yard is tiny so tight parking was the only issue that we had at this place. It was one of the best stays that we had. Our room was very clean and nicely furnished with antiques. It had a separate entrance from the outside and our private hot tub! Very quiet at night. Owners were welcoming. Food was served a bit latter than we are used too, but it was great quality! My hubby loved the well made ready to light fire wood! He was admiring how skilful it was done and how easy it was to light it! Will be back!

Room Tip: remember how the entrance gate looks from the photo, it's not easy to find.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 121Traveler
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here recently with 2 teen girls on our way from Los Angles to San Francisco. So glad we did! Very beautiful, peaceful bed and breakfast in Santa Cruz. Our small group stayed in the bigger room to accommodate 3 people. We enjoyed the hot tub on the cool February night. Sitah and her family provided a delicious homemade breakfast in the morning before we went to see some local Redwoods. I highly recommend staying here if you are planning alone, as a couple or a small group of adults or adults with older children.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We went to this lovely bed and breakfast and just fell in love with it! The attention to detail was excellent you really felt at home and the breakfast were to die for every morning we would play a game in what was Citah going to cook for us and it was always better than we imagined.
The very best part was they were so nice to my old dog Minnie May she was able to come sit by the wood stove fire place or hang out in the kitchen with Citah. We would travel to various sites and when ever we got back my dog would go on the porch and check how Citah and Spinner (there dog) were doing. The big surprise is how we got to unwind and play a game of ping/pong take a spa and then eat cookies while watching the fire place in our room.
I highly recommend this bed and breakfast

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I can't say enouhg good things about Redwood Croft. The Inn is actually the long time home of the owners, and it is apparent that they raised their family in this lovely place. It is filled with love. We went in to Santa Cruz to see a show and decided to spend the weekend doing some hiking as well and wanted to bring the dogs. When looking up where we could stay that was dog friendly, we found Redwood Croft. Upon arrivng with our very excited Golden Retrievers, we were greeted warmly and immediately shown to the beautiful upstairs suite. It had its own private deck which also had a gate so the dogs could meander safely. It was a vista overlooking the Redwood Forest. So amazing. Inside the suite we found a beautiful bedroom with King Bed, cozy comforter and even a couple of thick blankets for the pups on the floor. The kitchenette was unneeded, however it was really nice and served as a place to put our dogs crate, and had it out of the way. The bathroom was the best part. Large and spacious, with a double sink, awesome lighting, a bidet (!) and an amazing two shower tiled area that felt like a Grecian experience, with a live plant hanging right in the shower. The water pressure was perfect, there were two plush robes for us, and very lovely toiletries of the natural kind. I loved it at Redwood Croft and would go back in a heartbeat if ever staying in Santa Cruz, with or without the dogs. Breakfast was also tremendous, healthy and delicious and very ample!!

Room Tip: The West Room....love it!
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at the Redwood Croft for one night in the "Garden" room. This room has a fire place and an outside jacuzzi (wasn't sure whether the jacuzzi was just for this room or for all of them). The room itself was clean and I liked the old style interior. The fire place was all set to go and worked perfectly fine. This room also had an "upstairs" area with two beds, so would also be suitable for a family. The only downside of this room is that the bathroom is open/has no ceiling and that the toilet flush is super loud. Since the Redwood Croft is hidden in the woods and therefore (apparently) very safe, the room doors are not locked and you will not get a key.
The breakfast was made with love and really good.
The short stay was overall nice but we were asked to not use the upstairs area of the room as they didn't want to re-do the beds as the room was booked by 4 pax the next day. That was not really the way to go!
And last a few admin inputs: they only accept cash and you pay when you get there. You will not receive a receipt nor will you be shown the calculated final price (incl. taxes). There are parking spots available. The gate is automatic should you wonder what to do when you get to it. And there is a nice little winery with a shop on the way up there should you wish to buy some good wine (p.s. try their dark chocolate with salt and hickory smoked bacon) to complete your romantic getaway (glasses and a bottle opener can be found in the room).

Room Tip: The "Garden" room has a fire place (which was all set to go and worked just fine) and an o...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
sitah c, Owner at Redwood Croft, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

We thank Anja for her positive review. I'll just to correct an impression she received, regarding method of payment, receipts and itemized tax. We make up a contact sheet for all of our guests, which includes useful information for us (how to reach guests en route, balance due, special dietary needs) and for our guests (deposit received, balance due with tax). This sheet also serves as a receipt for payment, which we indicate by simply writing "paid." I regret that Anja came away believing that a receipt would not be provided. We do not accept credit card payment, though, which is probably less convenient for some travelers.

On a "lighter" note, we call that old-style gravity wood-covered toilet tank in the Garden Room "Moby Dick," and I imagine that for someone using the pull-chain flush mechanism it may not be so funny while someone else in the room is sleeping. But that toilet just keeps on working -- I don't think it's ever going to die - they don't make 'em like they used to.

Anja, I want you to know that I scolded Dale when he told me he had asked you not to use the loft. True, It was already made up for a family coming in the next day when you called, but I agree it was very "uncool" for him to say that, and it goes against our clear design that every guest feel completely comfortable at our place. ...And anyway, I don't think Dale was the one who made up those extra beds in the loft!! :)

Glad you enjoyed you stay for the most part, and you're right, I do put a lot of care and love into those breakfasts!
Best Regards,