“Delicious and Gluten free”

Johnny's Harborside
Ranked #20 of 374 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Eaton St
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Great place to eat if you are gluten free. I have celiac disease and this place worked out great. Nice view of the harbor. We watched fishing boats pull up and weight their catch. Saw someone cart off a large squid. The food as great. My husband had the fish and chips with garlic. He said it was the best. I had grilled chicken sandwich on GF bun. Very good.

There are newer reviews for Johnny's Harborside

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Wonderful amazing food at a locally owned restaurant that specializes in good seafood! The food was beautiful prepared and came piping hot - we both had the Alaskan Salmon prepared Caribbean style which was excellent. We followed this with a trio of chocolate cake, ice cream and a pudding - all for $8 - all very good! - We plan on returning later this year to eat again at this wonderful place!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Passing through Santa Cruz from SF to Monterey, we stopped here for lunch due to the good TA reviews. The setting is pretty nice in the harbour which we overlooked from our window table. Much to our amusement there were sea lions playing in the water.

I had the $10 daily special which was a tostada ceviche with side salad (leaves, spiced walnuts and red grapes) and a small chowder soup. This was pretty tasty and fresh tasting for something this cheap. There is a fair amount to eat here. I didn't think the soup went with the rest of the meal - ceviche is a cold, zesty light thing accompanied with fresh leaves. A dense hot soup doesn't quite match but on its own it was pretty good. I can't complain especially for $10.

My dad had the fish and chips - there's a quite a lot of it which was nice and he didn't finish it due to the quantity.

We both had diet cokes so the bill came to $30 with tip. Given the setting, the speedy and friendly service I thought it was pretty good value for money. I would definitely return if passing through the area again. The parking is also plentiful in the area and cheap ($1 an hour).

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Despite the day I visited being a little grey and damp, the view down the marina from the restaurant was delightful and I can only imagine how busy they will be on a sunny day in the summer.

The restaurant wasn't busy, and service was swift. The fish and chips that I chose was delicious, the batter was crisp and the chips were perfect. Would quite happily return for more.

After your meal take a wander down the opposite side of the marina to the lighthouse and views over the ocean. Perfect.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great selection of really fresh fish and your choice of several prep styles. I like a restaurant that has delicious vegetable sides - and these folks get that so right. Staff is friendly and efficient. Atmosphere is relaxed and upbeat. View of the boats adds so much interest.