“Best Spot in Santa Cruz”

West Cliff Inn, a Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I were on a 4 day driving trip down the Pacific Coast Highway and made a point to stop in Santa Cruz. We chose the West Cliff for the price and views and we were not disappointed. This was by far the best spot we stayed out of 4 inn/B&B's along the way. We stayed in room #4 which looked out onto the beach and pier and a commanding view of Santa Cruz life. Right outside our window was a large wrap around deck with plenty of seating, we never saw anyone out there and used it in the early evening and later before bed. The Inn has nice robes for after a shower and the bed was heavenly. I wish we lived closer by this beautiful Inn as we would surely go several times a year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ThatsAGiven

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I don't like having to write this review, but I want to warn others so they do not have the same experience. I had such high hopes for the West Cliff Inn. A few months ago, based on reviews from tripadvisor, I booked a room (for two nights) for my husband and I to visit this past weekend. Based on the room type we booked, we knew we would have either Room 5, 7 or 9. When I booked it, I knew I could have any one of those rooms. A few weeks before our trip, we decided to email the inn and see if we could choose which room we would have. Based on lots of research regarding the rooms, we sent an email and requested either room 5 or room 9 -- we specifically asked not to have room 7. If the inn had told us at that point that we could not state a preference in advance of arriving, I would have understood. Instead, we were quite pleased when we received an email back the same day informing us that we were in room 5. I responded and thanked the inn and proceeded to get excited about our room. Seriously excited -- it was something we talked about multiple times leading up to the the trip. Because room 5 had a private balcony with a hot tub (the only room with an outside hot tub), I packed several swim suits and my husband and I purchased wine and cheese on the drive there to enjoy on the balcony upon our arrival. After a three-hour drive, we finally arrived at 6:00 p.m. The entire way, we kept talking about how excited we were for the hot tub. We even left work a few hours early so we could enjoy the evening on the balcony. Unfortunately, when we got to the front desk, the clerk (who was nice and not to blame) informed us that we were in room 7. When we told her we had an email saying we were in room 5, she said someone who checked in before us asked to switch to room 5 so now we were in room 7 -- the one room we did not want. What?! We tried to not be upset and not let it ruin the weekend, but when we got up to the room, we were shocked by how blah room 7 was. Even more disappointing was the fact that our only window looked out to the balcony with room 5's hot tub (literally feet away from the window). So, not only would we not get the room we had been promised with the hot tub, but we would get to hear the people who switched into the room enjoy it when we opened the window for fresh air. In the end, we decided to leave and stay at the Dream Inn across the street. Although it was not the B&B we had hoped for, it did have a hot tub, it had a great restaurant, and . . . more importantly . . . the hotel was completely honest from beginning to end. We had a great time there and were very impressed with the staff and our ocean-view room (where we could hear the waves instead of someone in a hot tub). The next day, we decided to drive down to Carmel to have a true B&B experience and ended up staying in one of the most amazing places I've ever stayed -- the Cypress Inn (highly recommend it -- per our review there). If there is anything I can say positive about the West Cliff Inn, it would be that it forced us to travel an hour south and stay in a much better place than we would have experienced if we stayed at the West Cliff Inn.

The bottom line for my review is that the common area for West Cliff Inn was nice. Although room 7 was blah, it would have been fine (and would not have resulted in either a good or bad review). But, the dishonesty in telling us one thing (I still have the email) and then switching it up was more than disappointing. I wanted to write this review to warn others not to set expectations on what the inn tells you. Then you might not be as disappointed as we were. Because I do not like dishonesty, I will never stay at the West Cliff Inn. I will, however, definitely go back to the Cypress Inn in Carmel. If we end up going back to Santa Cruz at some point, we would stay at the Dream Inn.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank PiperPea
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We only had 1 night here but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was lovely, with a very luxurious marble bathroom. The afternoon cookies and evening wine and nibbles were both great touches which we thoroughly enjoyed. We had high expectations for breakfast, but to be honest we were a little disappointed. We had timed it a little wrong and the hot stuff had run out and we'd made do with toast by time a fresh supply arrived (so our fault for not being patient!). But we had a lovely stay, it was a nice place to relax after the beach or busyness of the boardwalk. Quite pricey but worth it for a nice treat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in room #3 for one night around the end of June, The inn was lovely, we arrived early so they held on to some things we didn't want to leave in the car and walked to the Wharf and then to the boardwalk which is a short distance from the Inn. We then walked to the downtown area, which was the highlight of our short stay. I feel I have to note, for those interested in going downtown, there is a trolley that goes from the front of the wharf to downtown for 25 cents each way.

We arrived back to our Inn just before 6pm to check in our room. The room was a king bed, very spacious with an awesome bathroom, a jacuzzi on one end and a nice shower on the other end. There was no bottled water in the room, there was a pitcher in the dining room of water with some very tiny water glasses. The one thing that ruined my stay here was the room was like a furnace! The thermostat actually said 78 degrees & had a note taped to it warning of action against you if you tried to adjust it from the inside.

In the morning, the temp was then 80 degrees, was cooler outside than inside the room! I could not wait to get out of there. Breakfast was... slightly on the disappointing side. It was mini bagels, a bowl of mixed fruit, a granola dish with milk topped with fruit and on a hot plate there were potatoes and some type of egg quiche but the only thing in it was egg so not sure what it was supposed to be.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for three days. Needless to say we did not want to leave. The staff are fantastic and the location is absolutely perfect. Walk to restaurants as well as the beaches. We stayed in the Superior King room. It was one of the nicest rooms we ever stayed in. Small windows overlooking the ocean but still a fantastic view. The bathroom was fit for a king and queen. We enjoyed our stay so much we booked the same room for next year. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. If your looking for a very cute romantic getaway weekend I highly recommend this cute bed and breakfast. This will be one of our favorite vacation spots for many years to come. I would like to thank the staff for a amazing weekend.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and were driving up the coast and decided to stop in Santa Cruz for a night and spend some time at the beach enjoying the boardwalk. Imagine our disappointment when the weather was rainy and cold. However, when we arrived at the West Cliff Inn, my mood instantly improved. The staff was great and upgraded us because they were not full and put us in room 1 with a partial view of the ocean. The room was large, and decorated beautifully and the bathroom was even more amazing with beautiful marble and granite throughout. We arrived just in time for their wine/appetizer hour from 4-6. We sat in the grand living room looking out at the ocean and enjoying some lovely wine and cheese. The next morning we were even more surprised by the breakfast that was served, everything was amazing. Our only regret was that we were only staying there one night.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with a view of the ocean, it's worth it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebecca V
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I felt overwhelmed when I was given the best room with a million dollar view in such a beautiful Victorian house! It was the day of my birthday, a getaway from the heat wave in the Central Valley, to enjoy the cool weather in Santa Cruz. It was simply perfect! Sitting on the chair by the bay windows, sipping my favorite wine, taking in the view of the ocean, watching the hustle n bustle of the boardwalk and the wharf, all from the relaxing comforts of the room on the 2nd floor! The wine reception was really nice! After dinner in downtown (within walking distance) I enjoyed the evening in the jetted bath. Breakfast was awesome! I stayed in the room enjoying the view until it was time to check out. I didn't want to leave! I'm definitely coming back!

By the way, the staff of West Cliff Inn are so cordial! THANK YOU for such a perfect day to celebrate my birthday!!! :)

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple