“Beware bed bugs!”
Review of Coastview Inn

Coastview Inn
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Awoke the first night to find bites all over my hands and arms. Wasn't until after I left, and more bites kept appearing, that I googled bed begs, and figured it out. I am now washing all my clothes and thoroughly scouring my lugge. What a great way to end my vacation. Unless you happen to like parasitic, microscopic vermin, stay away from this dive. Sketchy characters hanging out, too. "Funky" is one thing, but this was downright gnarly skid row. Thanks for the sceebs!

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank colosurfer

Reviewed June 8, 2010

A nice motel on a lovely beach!
Paul, the manager was great, he upgraded our room from a standard king to an ocean view king. Very nice.
The room was a bit smelly, though not overly so, we only noticed it for the 1st 30 seconds or so. Leaving the window open for an hour resolved that.
The plastic mattress cover left much to be desired... nothing like that squeaking when turning over. Other than that, we enjoyed our 1 night stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I was visiting Santa Cruz but didn't have a car. This was a great location because it was right next to the beach and a fairly easy walk into town to shop and eat.
It was way over priced for the quality of accommodation. You are paying for the location only. The parking was extremely limited so my friends had trouble picking me up.
The room wasn't cleaned properly but the manager was very pleasant and sent someone in the next day to vacuum better and fix something that was broken. He had given me a 'quiet' room on the second floor away from the stairs as I had requested. Even so, there was plenty of noise when other guests and their children walked right past the window. The bed wasn't comfortable especially since there weren't fitted sheets so the mattress pad was exposed where the sheet didn't quite cover.
The continental breakfast was inadequate and there didn't seem to be any restaurants around that were open early in the morning either.
The manager did let me leave my luggage in the storage room after check-out time since my ride wasn't coming until the afternoon and I wanted to spend the day at the beach. It was nicer than staying at a camp ground but a heck of a lot more expensive.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2009

We stayed in Santa Cruz for a few days and found the Coastview Inn to be a very good value. Our room (209) had a bit of a beach and pier view. The bath and dressing area looked recently done over and very clean. The bedroom furniture (king bed) was very nice looking. The only criticism we had about the room was that the rug could have used a shampoo. Although there was a pool, we did not use it. Because if its proximity to the boardwalk, I can see how the location could be noisy in season, but we didn't have any problem in November. As noted in other reviews, Paul, at the front desk, is very helpful.
The Coastview is not a resort, it's a motel, and with that in mind, it's a good place to sleep while enjoying the area.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2009

This is your basic motel with an excellent location next to the Boardwalk. The room was clean, the staff friendly. Dissappointed they took the coffee out of the room, but they did have it in the lobby. No complaints and I have stayed here 5 times. Never a problem

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I've stayed in several hotels in Santa Cruz, and they are usually the higher end ones, so my review my be partial. I'll first list the good things about the place: friendly staff, right across the street from the beach and the Boardwalk (can't go wrong there), and the price was right.
The bad things about this place: it has a slightly 'seedy' feel to it, there was a blood stain on one of my pillow cases that I didn't notice until the next morning, there was a used bar of soap left in the shower from the previous guest.
Despite those disgusting things, I would stay here again if it was going to just be overnight. The location is unbeatable for the price, just thoroughly check your room when you check in so that you can be moved or get a discount for anything the maid may have neglected to do.
If you're looking for a romantic destination, this is not it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We just needed a quick one night escape from San Francisco and chose Santa Cruz. We picked the best deal on Hotwire and it turned out to be this little beach motel. It was all we needed and it was across the street from the giant Beach Boardwalk Arcade and Mini Golf. The service was very friendly when we checked in. The room was nice. Nothing fancy. It had a mini fridge and a microwave which we would have used if we stayed longer than one night. The bathroom was very clean and the bed and sheets were comfortable. It was just right of an inexpensive 2 star hotel...though Hotwire says it's 2.5 stars. For breakfast we drove 1 mile to Linda's Seabreeze Cafe which you should seek out. It was the best breakfast I've had in years. Order a cinnamon roll instead of toast. It is to die for.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple