“Simple but convenient.”
Review of Coastview Inn

Coastview Inn
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are simple but the location can't be beat. It is located right across the street from the beach and a short wall to the pier and the boardwalk. The Firefish Grill was wonderful. The mini golf across the street was quite inexpensive at $5 for 18 holes. The pool was dirty and never used. This was not a big deal as the beach was across the street. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We originally made reservations for the paradise inn accross the street because it was cheaper. Little did we know we would be running in the opposite direction as soon as we got there. We came here and they were so friendly and the room we stayed in was great. We didn't even have reservations and we were able to get a room for two nights. It's clean and well updated. Everything works great in the room and we are literally across the street from the beach and boardwalk.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Christen6
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here in August, from the UK. This place had a great location in the middle of the main strip. The staff were friendly and rooms were clean. Amenities were basic and the breakfast was average but if you relate this to the price I think it was more than a good deal. Overall, I would happily recommend and stay here again

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We only stopped for one night but it was a very pleasant stay,
Young man at the front desk was helpful, parking is good and no problem for me but have seen a few reviews about being a bit tight so just depends on your driving skills proberly not a problem for european guests, Non-Smoking our room was ok but big cigarette trays outside each room door smell a bit every time you pass them,
would I stay here again Yes

Watch out for the roundabout in Santa Cruz (didn't think they had them in the US)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I'm not going to try to be negative about this review because I don't like being negative but I will simply give facts.
-Nonsmoking room smell clearly of cigarette smoke during whole stay
-mattress stiff
-hotel on boardwalk
-beach is literally right there
-parking lot awkward and hazardous
-underground packing lot leaks
-staff friendly, helpful, nice
-continental breakfast coffee & cold cereal
-you are next to a bowling alley and can hear the pins knocking crystal clearly in the parking lots
-walls paper thin. Heard the man next door brushing his teeth in the morning (not electric brush)
-heater worked :) (winter vacationer)
-sketchy neighborhood behind hotel
-screaming sounds all night, kept waking up to all the neighborhood sounds
- local surfers use hotel parking for their day use
- maybe 11 hotel parking spots and 2 handicap
-clean
-appliances in great condition

Room Tip: I would pay the extra for a beach view room. ASK FOR CORNER ROOM so there is a possibility of better...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Adl2614
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The location is unbeatable, as you can keep your car in the motel lot and simply walk one block to the beach and boardwalk. Our room was very small, but well furnished and clean. It was a bit noisy... we were on the second floor, but people down by the pool were clearly audible, as were people talking next door. But the value was very good. Middling continental breakfast is included. Coffee was decent. WiFi was free and easy. If you stay and have noisy neighbors, you might play a "white noise" video on YouTube on your mobile device when you're ready to sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This motel has the potential of being a great asset to the local tourism scene, being a profitable enterprise and offering a premier product, but clearly there are management issues that need to be attended to before it can claim to be anything but a basic motel.

On arrival the welcome was very cold. Not even a hello. I settled into my room, which I must say was very clean and had all the facilities that you would need for a comfortable stay. The only thing which was missing was a coffee machine which was stated on the booking agent’s web site. Only a minor thing and not a big issue because I always carry a travel kettle with me for the early morning cuppa.

Later I tried to switch on the TV, following the instructions left in the room. Alas I could not get it to work. I went to speak to the receptionist who agreed to come up to my room and help, only to be told “there is no satellite box, so your TV will not work”. He went away to speak to the manager and returned to tell me that it would be several days before a satellite box would be available. The hotel was full so there were no other rooms to move to. After a little negotiation I was told that they would offer a refund on the room for not having TV.

The next day I went out and on returning to my room to find the electronic key would not work. I went to the reception and asked why. With no emotion was expressed as the key was reprogrammed. At least they could have said sorry.

Later that day I returned to my room to discover that it had not been cleaned. I enquired why my room had not been made up, only to be asked “did you put the card on your door asking for maid service”. What card? There was no card in the room and no instructions anywhere stating this was the procedure. The receptionist said he would try and find the maid to visit the room before she went home. It then became obvious that there was only one maid to clean all of the rooms.

On one of my many visits to the reception I noticed some younger customers were being refused a room because they wanted to pay cash. “We do not accept cash” was the response from the staff member on duty. An odd way to do business!
At the front of the motel there were hand written posters advertising for staff. Clearly they motel had staffing issues.

The exterior corridors and communal areas needed to be cleaned. There were obvious drink stains, overflowing bins and ashtrays full of cigarette butts.

Because of my frequent visits to reception, I got to know the young receptionist quite well. He became very likeable but it was clear however he had little knowledge of the hotel and hospitality sector and was probably just carrying out the orders from management. I have in the past offered advice to business such as this one, and would gladly work with them to help turn the business around, if they were interested.

On the positive side, the rooms were large, clean and comfortable. The bed was just right for me to get a good night’s sleep. Free parking is offered which is an added bonus for staying in the beach area. Breakfast is average American motel style but enough to set you up for a day. The motel is situated right on the beach and within steps of the Broadwalk amusement area. There are many restaurants nearby. It is also within walking distance of downtown. There is a shuttle bus nearby which takes you downtown for just 25 cents.

The choice is obviously yours. The motel is clean and comfortable, but unless the attitude of management changes, you might encounter problems.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo