“Wish we could stay longer...but watch the stairs” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hinds Victorian Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz
Hinds Victorian Guest House
Seattle
“Wish we could stay longer...but watch the stairs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2007

I'm looking to avoid repeats of previous postings so I'll just do pros and cons. Don't forget that this place is for extended stays - not overnite options. However, the price per week is so fabulous that you'll want to stay the week.

Pros:
1. We stayed over the Xmas holidays and were very sad to leave. To quote an earlier Japanese resident, this house has good karma - a really good feel to it. I've always liked Santa Cruz and this was such a treat. I've stayed in many places but this is the one place I'd really like to come back to.

2. Incredibly and totally unbelievably comfortable beds, Victorian furnishings, multiple full bathrooms scattered throughout the house, well-equipped kitchen for cooking, well marked cabinets and fridges per room, washer/dryer on premises with complimentary washing powder, parking permits for on-stret parking etc., given to you on arrival. There are three first-come, first serve parking spots behind the house and on-street parking (which we did not have any problems finding). Think a hostel for grownups - very lovely, comfortable with the ease of coming and going as you like. Very clean!

3. Great location (4 blocks west of Pacific Avenue that has all sorts of places to eat plus a New Leaf grocery store in the old Bank of Italy building if you prefer to cook). We recommend Sitar if you like Indian food and for girly hand creams, candles, and makeup, I recommend Farmacy located across the street from Hoffmann's Bakery (which is also yummy). Everything is within walking distance although West Cliff Drive is further out. I'd suggest driving out there, parking and then doing the 6 mile round trip walk along the coast. You can hole up in your room (which is great for writing/research purposes) as they have desks and WiFi or you can mingle downstairs in one of the 2 drawing rooms, dining room or kitchen.

Cons:
1. We booked a large room with private bath not realizing it was a bathtub/toilet combo with no venting vs the typical shower/toilet combo. Our fault for not reading closely enough. We never did use the tub although the private toilet was nice. However, there are 2 full bathrooms with showers on the 3rd floor, a full bathroom with tub on 2nd floor and a full bathroom with tub on 1st floor off the kitchen. All rooms have their own sink (if not reserving one of the two private bath facilities). If you book off season, I recommend taking the shared bathroom option as there was no problems in finding access times to it. Plus, the shared option is considerably cheaper.

2. Stairs. This is what gives Hinds House the 4 star rating instead of the 5 star rating - at least until some protection is added on. There are grand stairs here in this house and most of them are wide enough for easy navigation. However, the problem is the second set of 8-10 stairs leading from the third story on down to the second story level. Be very careful on them as it is exceptionally easy to slip and fall (which I did). Even though there is a bannister (which I was holding onto) the stairs are much more narrow with downward sloping edges from years of people walking on them compared to the other sections in the house. Plus the carpet is that slippery, Victorian style which helps eliminate traction. The owner needs to put some sort of rubber backing on the edges for additional safety, especially if older parents are staying here.

• Liked — Comfortable beds and overstuffed furniture
  • Disliked — the narrow, old stairs on the second floor landing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank Scree

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Virginia Beach, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2007

I had the pleasure of staying in Hinds House this past October, and it was beautiful. The weekly rates are more than reasonable. The accommodation's were adequate for a long stay. They had everything we needed. I will go there again.

• Liked — They had everything we needed
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jumpster85
Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2007

My husband was attending the Pickwick Universe at the university this summer and we found the Hinds House to be an excellent place for both of us. I wandered the shops and relaxed and he was able to get to the university by bus every day at the end of the road.
We had a small "blip" with our booking but they sorted that out with a quick telephone call and their arrrival on site.
It is an amazing property full of charm and character and your every need is catered for. So close to the town centre, walk everywhere and a great peaceful karma when you are inside your room.
You don't need to bring anything I can't recommend it enough.

• Liked — We had our own space
  • Disliked — The blip at checkin
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank MissElainey
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2006

In the first two weeks of January I was contracted to work at a medical clinic in Santa Cruz. I wanted to stay somewhere furnished where I could have a kitchen. I was hoping to find someplace interesting and not too instututional like a standard hotel. A friend told me about the Hinds House. My stay was better than I could have ever imagined.

This place is a beautifully maintained 1888 Victorian mansion with all the original woodwork and materials intact. There are 10 guest rooms on two floors, some with shared baths (that's what I chose) and some with private baths. The whole ground floor is divoted to common rooms where guests can lounge around in the parlor, play the grand piano in the sitting room or eat in the ornate dining room. The main floor has a full kitchen that is equipped with everything down to baking supplies and salad spinners. Each guest has designated space in a cupboard for food storage and space in one of three refrigerators. The management has thought of everything: there is free wireless DSL, computer workstation, free laundry, full basement for bicycle and surfboard storage, private mailboxes and parking. My room (#5) was beautiful and came with all that I needed including a VCR, CD player and work desk.

The folks who own this place also run a B&B a few blocks away called the Adobe on Green Street and their experience at making places comfortable really shows. My mattress was the most comfortable I have ever slept on. Two of the best things about staying there were the location and the pricing. Being on the corner of Church and Chestnut Streets, I was three blocks from the center of downtown. I didn't have a car and I could walk to everything. I never felt isolated or cut off from whatever I needed. The prices are reasonable. My room was $360 per week. There are some rooms that are $300 per week. The catch is there are no overnight stays. All rates are by the week only. All in all this was a special and rare place to be for a couple of weeks. I just wish there were more places like this in other cities.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business