All reviewsthe cottagessunny covebagels and cream cheesenice deckmini kitchencontinental breakfastpatio furniturehome away from homebeach accessbed was very comfortablenice staycapitolaunitboardwalkmotelproximitycliffs
Reviewed June 18, 2013

The good:
Very cute, and nicely maintained from the street. Loved the swing on the front lawn, you can see the ocean from the swing.

We paid a total of $272.00, which included the $25.00 per night dog fee.

What did we get for almost 300 bucks on a Monday night?

1. Cottage number 10. Looks like a little gingerbread/light house....sadly the side yard was disgusting...mostly dead plants, and weeds growing everywhere....lots of spider webs on the wall, glass table filthy, mis matched chairs, one lounge chair with old dirty cushion. The barbecue still had old corn husks in it and garbage stacked underneath in the overflow bin. Pretty clean in doors, however...the walls in the bathroom had hair stuck to it...so disgusting. The kitchen, musty smelling, old, and mis matchedd....I LOVE vintage things, so I am not being snotty about mis matched things...this was just dirty old stuff in a room.

We all stubbed our toes on the step down into the main living room area that had futon for our son.

Upstairs was the hardest bed I have ever slept on in my life...like concrete. The TV was teeny tiny. The blinds bent and dirty.

This place has SOOOO much potential, I love little inn's with sweet owners who love to have guests over. The owners were nice enough to come and clean out the BBQ...thank you for that...however at almost 300 bucks...NEVER gonna go back.

We are AVID travelers to SC and REALLY wanted to review this place as our new home away from home.....sadly we feel taken advantage of.

BTW your housekeepers were drinking beer in their car and when they left, the guy housekeeper took his beer and drove away :(...aweful!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MissGoldenPoppy
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry you were disappointed in your stay. If only we could please everyone . . . .

About the yard - the yard has been weeded and the two small dead plants have been removed. Since this cottage is dog-friendly, it's tough to keep the grass green for obvious reasons. If anyone can tell us way to keep the spiders at bay, we're all ears!!

We're sorry you stubbed your toe on the step - that is frustrating! Not sure how we can fix that. We're open to suggestions!

As for your accusation of our housekeepers drinking and driving - all I can say is NO WAY!! Our housekeepers have been with us for eight years. We know their character, and honestly we find it offensive that you would publicly slander them in this manner. If you think you saw someone drinking and driving it would have been more appropriate for you to have reported it to the police.

We have surveillance cameras all over our property to ensure our guests' safety.

Our property is not your average cookie-cutter hotel, and obviously not for everyone. We hope you can find your ideal Santa Cruz "home away from home". Sorry it's not us.

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 days while I ran a half marathon in Capitola. This place is so cute and quaint! I wasn't expecting it to be so well maintained considering how old it is but I was pleasantly surprised. The view is amazing and my husband and I loved the main deck because it looked out to the beach and ocean and allowed us to soak up some much needed sunshine and just relax!

The room and bedding were clean and the shower had great water pressure! My only complaint is the mattress was really hard and not comfortable at all. The pillows were very soft and comfy though!
We will definitely stay at Ocean Echo next time we are in Santa Cruz!! :)

• Stayed: May 2013
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thanks so much for your review! See you next time!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

the 'cottage' we stayed at was clean but rather small for 4 people, (one bedroom and a trundle bed in an adjoining space separated by a curtain)especially at $250 a night (sat night anyway). The proprietors were friendly and helpful however. The breakfast included is pretty minimal (yoghurt, some fruit and bagels). Coffee is only available in the room.

Not much within walking distance except for the cove and beach. There is a sitting area outside. Otherwise you will want to get in your car and head north or south to Santa Cruz or

Room Tip: ask for square footage of the room before booking.
Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're sorry about your disappointment - unfortunately there isn't too much we can do about the layout of the cottage. One of the great things about our facility is all our cottages are different (no cookie-cutter rooms here!). About the continental breakfast - please provide any suggestions to improve it - we value our guest feedback!

Reviewed April 25, 2013

The good part is that there is a tiny view of the ocean but only in specific rooms. I also unlike some like the fact that it is an old building with floors that lean in different directions. The problem I had was the management. We had a TV in the bedroom and in the living room, only the living room worked. The one in the bedroom had a problem and when we reported it the owner not just someone who worked there but the actual owner she acted like we were crazy and it was clear she thought we didn't know what we were talking about. She reluctantly had her husband come and check it and he supposedly fixed it. When we returned to the room that evening we checked and it seemed to work so we went about our way and when it was time to go to bed the TV came on but it was very fuzzy and the remote wouldn't control the TV. When we checked out again we told the guy at the counter (now a worker not the owner) and he said he would pass on the message but seemed to also be very disinterested. While driving home I received a voicemail from the owner telling me we had it on radio and not TV so that was the problem (calling me a liar or an idiot not sure which). I left another message for the owner and as yet have not heard back from her. Also the parking was not great. I would not go back again nor recommend this place because the cost was way too high for what you get.

Room Tip: Do not bring a lot of stuff, you will likely have to carry it (and not easliy roll it).
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank lisa e
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

We're sorry you were dissatisfied in your stay. We have fixed the television issue. Our property is definitely not your average "cookie-cutter" hotel!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

Everything about this place is AMAZING! We loved the private little cottage like rooms, which were equipped with literally everything you could need. Great location, close to the boardwalk and Capitola, very nice owners, right by the beach... I mean what more could you ask for? Our only wish was that we had a few more days to spend there.

Room Tip: I can't imagine that there would be a bad room here.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenniffer R

Thanks so much for your review! Next time stay a little longer!