Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages
Beach Street Inn and Suites(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$169
Dream Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$287
$239
  • Pool
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$162
$132
Hilton.com
Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$120
$100
ComfortInn
West Cliff Inn, a Four Sisters Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$229
$179
$174
Hotels.com
Quality Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$90
$81
QualityInn
Hampton Inn Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$230
$179
Hampton.com
Best Western Plus All Suites Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$119
$104
BestWestern.com
Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
$117
$108
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe cottagesbagels and cream cheesesunny coveprivate beachnice deckfull kitchenpatio furniturecontinental breakfastsmall kitchenhome away from homebed was very comfortablecapitolaunitboardwalkpulloutmotelproximity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Like many other reviewers, I really wanted to like this place. We reserved cottage # 1 for our little family to stay New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. The photos online looked like it would be perhaps a little quirky, but quaint and charming too. When we drove up the place did look cute and cozy. The woman owner who checked us in was very hospitable and friendly. She showed us to cottage #1, and wished us a pleasant stay. From the moment we entered the cottage, we weren't happy. Cottage 1 is just odd--the floor plan of the space is awkward and strange, and the rooms are very uncomfortable, with no place to sit except at the kitchen table and on the beds--there is not another chair in the place. The bathroom was tiny with no place to put anything. The cable on the TV was sketchy. The owner had fairly warned us that the Wi-Fi in unit 1 was iffy, but in fact it didn't work at all. The main heater was in the bedroom with a small wall vent blowing air into the living room/kitchen area. We could tell that it would likely get very warm in the bedroom, but not so much in the main room. We were really unhappy with the thought of paying $160 a night for this. So I mustered my courage and went back to the office to see about switching rooms. The owner was more than accommodating and immediately showed us room 11 in the main building, the only other room available with two beds. We liked it much better than cottage 1, so we switched. Honestly, the owner deserves 5 stars for service. She is very nice and gracious! So I wish my review ended here, but unfortunately, there's more.
At first we were pleased with room 11, until we started noticing things. The hot water in the bathroom sink literally comes out at a trickle when the faucet is turned up all the way, and it takes a good five minutes to get hot. The shower worked fine, although it was mounted quite low on the wall. I am a 5 feet, 6 inches tall woman, and I had to crouch somewhat in the shower. There are no tissues in the bathroom or anywhere, only toilet paper. The fixtures are very outdated. There are no plastic laundry bags at all.
In the bedrooms, the room with the sliding glass door has a screen door as well, but it seems literally about to fall out of its mounting. Good thing it was winter, so we didn't need to use it. Also in that bedroom, one of the bedside table lamps doesn't work at all because the plug is missing entirely. This made the room too dark for our 7-year old daughter, so we ended up switching the lamp with one in the other room. And speaking of the lamps, the bases as well as the shades are very dusty. Also VERY dusty are the Venetian blinds in both rooms--visible dust that could be seen from a distance. But I say don't even bother with dusting the blinds--just replace them entirely, because they are very old and warped and bent in several places, giving the rooms a shoddy, worn-down appearance. The carpet in the unit is worn and needs replacing, and as the evening wore on, the rooms began to smell quite musty, which I didn't notice at first. (not sure why) High up on the wall of the main bedroom there are spots which look like someone began to apply spackle or primer, but then never finished the painting job. All of these things seem so easy and relatively inexpensive to fix, and would really make a big difference.
On to the TV/remote control problems: the TVs in the units are older, small screen models, which was fine, we'd live. But we had nothing but problems with our remote control. Finally my husband went down to the front desk to ask for fresh batteries, which he promptly obtained. The remote still didn't work properly, so he went back downstairs and they helped him program or re-program it, or something. The reason he had to keep physically going downstairs is because there are no telephones in the rooms. Anyway, the remote worked after that, but the next morning, it completely died--not even the little light on it worked. So back downstairs he went, and got a whole new remote, which finally solved the problem. My husband said that the owners were very polite and helpful the whole time, which was good.
We left our room at around 11:30 on New Year's Day and went into Capitola. When we returned at 2:30 in the afternoon ready to rest and get ready for dinner later, our room hadn't been cleaned yet. So we went down to the office and the person working the desk was the owner's husband I think, but I'm not sure. I said, "Hello. We are in room 11 and our room hasn't been cleaned yet--" Before I could continue speaking, he replied, "That is correct." I perceived his tone to be somewhat defensive and curt, which threw me a little bit. So I said, "it's just that we've been gone for several hours, and we need to get back in there soon." Then he replied in a more congenial manner that the housekeepers had showed up late, and there was a lot of work because of New Year's Eve the night before. This is understandable of course, but it seems as though they are understaffed and need help. No wonder the blinds are so dusty! So we walked down to the beach and returned 50 minutes later. We were glad to see that the housekeepers had finished our room.
So, to sum up:
Pros:
1. Mostly very friendly, helpful service
2. Comfortable beds
3. Just steps from the beach
Cons:
Too many to list, see above.
Bottom Line:
This place has great potential, but the owners need guidance and help. It could be so much better than it is. Very disappointing, overall. I will not return, and will not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Geiman3
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our property. We truly appreciate our guests’ feedback and do our best to address any concerns and issues that are brought to our attention. For example, the TV has been replaced and the broken lamp removed from the room.

Our rooms are not your standard cookie-cutter type hotel rooms; they are all different and unique with their own nuances. Obviously, we are not for everyone, but still it is our desire that each and every guest have an enjoyable and pleasant experience when they stay with us.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

After having such a wonderful time last year celebrating the arrival of 2012 at this property, my fiance and I had a large group of friends join us to do the same for 2013. Once again, we had a wonderful time. From the moment we arrived, the staff we incredibly accommodating and led us to our cottage, which is equipped with everything we needed. We had a private deck and grill and were able to bring our two dogs as well. For New Year's Eve, we built a fire on the beach, which is located at the base of the property, and had a relaxing and fun time. While it isn't very modern or sophisticated, if you're looking for a rustic, quaint, cozy and quiet place for a week or weekend, you won't find a better one in the area.

Room Tip: If you bring pets, be sure to call rather than booking online as they have specific cottages that are pet-friendly.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thanks so much for your review, we really appreciate it! Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Loved this place! My husband and I took a little three day holiday to celebrate his birthday and this place was perfect. We had a little kitchen and livingroom and deck with a bbq. We were able to have a few people over to bbq and celebrate hubby's big day (The motel even had board games we could borrow!). The kitchen was not completely decked out, but the owners Mark and Betty were very accomodating about supplying us with kitchen gear and helping us make everythink work. Ocean Echo is just what you would expect from a beach cottage....it is not luxurious, but it IS charming, quiet, near the beach and the owners are sweet as can be.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5, which had a veiw of Monterey Bay from the deck. I think there are only a few rooms with a bay view, so you might want to ask if this is important to you!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn G
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Thanks for your review! So glad the weather cooperated for your party!
See you next time!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had the most amazing time this last weekend surprising my boyfriend for a weekend getaway to Santa Cruz. The trip was last minute and Mark was more than willing to accommodate my last minute reservation and he and his sweet wife, Betty, were awaiting us when we arrived! The arrival was smooth and I was shown our gorgeous cabin and we were able to walk the 30 seconds to the beach just in time to see the most magnificent sunset! Then it was back to our room for a little R&R and I was able to make us a delicious dinner in our kitchen! Betty supplied a wine key (of course I forgot mine!) and they even had games for us to borrow making our night that much more fun! When the sun rose we were up early and were treated to a delicious continental breakfast that went perfectly with the bacon I was able to make in our cute little kitchen! Then with the referral by Mark to check out the Santa Cruz pier and the sea lions, we were on our way to an enjoyable day at the Santa Cruz boardwalk! The whole trip was perfect, the weekend was warm and sunny in December (!!) and I thank Mark & Betty for their friendliness, willingness to help, and their giving spirits! I loved the Ocean Echo Cottage and would recommend it to anyone and everyone I know! The room was adorable, private and clean! We were able to cook our own food, saving money on going out to eat, and the views of the ocean were to die for! Next time we'll definitely bring our kids to Ocean Echo Inn and Cottages as well. It was such a wonderful experience! Thank you!

Room Tip: We stayed in Cabin 7 and it was perfect for a couple! We'll stay in a larger cabin when we bring the kiddos and Cabin 10 allows pets! It even has a fenced in yard for your dog!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nicole S
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thanks so much for your review! Glad we were able to provide such a beautiful sunset for you!
See you next time.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Nice location centrally located to key spots and surf breaks. Brought my 4 yr/old son for his first Daddy/Son Surf Trip and had a great time. I would not bring my wife here because of the mold stained shower curtains and yellow saliva-stained pillows. Cleanliness is everything for me and especially my wife. Those are cheap things to replace. The cottages would be great if the cleanliness issue was worked out. The ones with kitchens were cool to stay in.

Unfortunately a week after my departure I realized that I left my very expensive camera next to the bed(I didn't want anyone to find it while I was out and about with my son). Obviously with that amount of time a couple of people stayed in the room. SOOOO, either the house keeper cleaned the room and kept it for herself, or, they didn't clean it and the next guest kept it for themselves. Either way, my camera was stolen. Quite a bummer. Thank God for insurance. Too bad for dishonest people. (And I did not leave it on the beach or at a restaurant as the owner may want to think, since I did not take it out of the room.) Just wish I had turned my GPS on in the camera. Then I could find out who really has it.

Either way, good place that needs a little more cleaning. I would rate it a 4-5 if it were for issues as stated above.

Room Tip: don't leave anything in room upon checkout.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends