“Overpriced 1 star beach motel.”

Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages
Ranked #2 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Some guests wrote rave reviews about this place. I will not. I booked 2 nights through Priceline, paid $320+ for a cottage with a king sized bed, without ocean frontage or view. The cottage we got ( #9) is facing the parking lot and is part of what looks like a 50/60 yrs old small compound with deferred maintenance and some upgrades. Our cottage was OK clean, with enough towels and pillows; the bed was firm. The 3/4 bath was very small, had no heater or fan. Getting out of the shower stall was tricky due to the single 15" high slippery step; I would have felt safer had they installed a solid handle grab bar. The room window shades (cheap horizontal mini blinds style) were bentd and would not block much morning light or night parking lot light; both mornings, we got really up with the sunlight. The wall gas heater was providing heat, however I had to turn it off in the middle of the night because its was so noisy I could not sleep. The breakfast consisted of a basket of bagels, some cream cheese, yogurt and fruit. I saw no butter, no toast, no milk, no jellies, no cereals. The kitchen was OK, although without a D/W or sink disposal. The free WIFI worked well, the manager was friendly, the place is away from the main street and at walking distance to Sunny Cove. From our cottage we did not hear the ocean waves, but the guests and their children walking to their cars. Our neighbor to the south (#8) was quiet, with no kids or dog, so the paper thin walls were not put to the test. There was no adjacent room on the other side, however the self-closing wood gate from the other unit patio would slam into our exterior wall and make us feel someone was pounding our unit. We were very happy to leave this place. For me, the lack of comfort and the price charged did no match.

Room Tip: Read my review and decide for yourself.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NewUlysses
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

The issues mentioned above have been addressed and resolved. We are sorry for any inconveniences that may have occurred.
We strive to do the best we can with what we have to work with. To some this obviously is not enough, and for that we are sorry.
Feedback and constructive criticism are always welcome and we will do what we can.

Bill & Shelley

There are newer reviews for Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I booked multiple rooms at the Ocean Echo for myself and members of my staff, who were in Santa Cruz for a business event.

We were so pleased with this place. Sure, this is a beach inn, not a five-star hotel, but contrary to some of the other reviews, there were plenty of full-sized towels, the rooms were sparkling clean, and the only noise was the sound of the waves, the doves in the mornings, and the croaking of happy frogs at sundown.

The breakfast included something extra and fun every day, either specialty bread with a little note (and smiley face) from the owners, or a new variety of fruit.

The grounds and gardens were immaculate, and I lost count at about twenty different types of flowers, blooming trees, and shrubs. The air was actually heavy with the smell of flowers, sea air, and Eucalyptus, and it was fabulous.

Best of all was the atmosphere of warmth and hospitality from the owners, Bill and Shelley. They obviously put their heart and soul into the running of this place, and it showed.

They took time to greet us personally every day we were there, provided all kinds of helpful tips on local excursions and restaurants, and when my plans for the second leg of my trip fell through, they made sure I could stay on at their Inn, even though they were booked.

Bottom line: Great place, great location, and great hosts. You can't go wrong with this place, and I recommend them highly.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kelli S
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We visited over the Easter vacation April7th to April 9th 2012. We stayed in Cabin 5 with our 3 children ages 17,15 and 2 1/2. We had a great time. It was everything we thought it would be and wanted it to be. We were not expecting the Ritz. What we wanted was a small, quaint, cottage steps from the beach where we could laugh with our children, BBQ on our private deck, watch the sunset from the beach, and pick up early in the morning for a day of fun and play in Santa Cruz. Ocean Echo delivered just that. Breakfast is simple, bagels, fruit and yogurt. We knew we were not on a culinary adventure trip so those items hit the spot perfectly on our way out for the day. The interactions we had with the owners were good ones and we found them to be kind and caring. If you like perfect and want perfect, this isnt for you. If you like relaxed, no frills, but a great place to wake up int he morning and lay your head at night while soaking up all those fleeting moments with your children young and old, this is your place.

Room Tip: Cabin 5 for 3 kids and 2 parents worked great for us.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank delibelly777
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We like to travel with our little dog, Sophie, and its hard to find a good dog friendly hotel. We stayed for one night in unit 16 and it was perfect for us and Sophie, door opened to the private drive with easy access to the beach and dog walking areas, grassy area that she loved. I would recommend Ocean Echo if you travel with a pet. Only comment is that the outdoor light outside unit 16 is bright so next time I will bring a sleeping mask. There is an additional pet fee but that is standard.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn F
Reviewed March 22, 2012

After reading so many negative reviews, I started questioning our choice to stay at this Inn. However, our experience could not have been more enjoyable. Contrary to what we read, the Inn was very quaint and settled in a nice little neighborhood. The grounds were well cared for and the cottages were cute. We stayed in a cottage complete with a very clean and usable kitchenette (stove, oven, nice sized fridge). The bathroom was the perfect size, as was the closet, and water pressure was awesome. I came prepared for noise, but it was very quiet. We had a view of the trees and the beach was within walking distance. The staff were hospitable and freely recommended nearby restaurants. In anticipation of our arrival, they had even turned up the heat in our room.

We chose this area due to its proximity to Capitola, which is an easy and relatively close drive away. We were very pleased with our experience and we intend to return.

On a side note, we attempted to leave this positive review on yelp; however, our review was quickly removed (just as the owners of the Inn warned us it would be).

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Slmaurer
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This place is in such a great location. It's too bad it is not well managed or taken care of. Our room had a pair of women's underwear on the floor of the closet. The water barely ran in the rickety shower. We had to throw 2 bagels away from the morning "breakfast" because they were moldy. Come on now. A little attention to detail could make this place very cute and quaint. When I asked the caretaker for a couple of extra towels, he looked at me as if I was a criminal. Please...... The tiny, thin towels in the room hardly wrap around my head and I am not a big person. I was very disappointed for the price we paid for this place. I was not expecting a "resort", just a nice clean room and a little service with a smile. Had I gotten a little of that, I would not have written this.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2012

It is wonderful to be located a short walk from sunny cove beach. It's also convenient to have a small kitchen. But this hotel is over priced for what it offers. All of the units are different, and this review applies to units 8 and 9.

There is absolutely no place to put anything in the bathroom. There is no shelf, no hook on the door, nothing. I had to drag a chair in to use as a stand.

The kitchen is marginally equipped. The tiny refrigerator is missing shelves. There are minimal dishes. Pots and pans are old.

I have stayed here several time because I like the location. But I always leave feeling I paid too much for it. It would be simple and inexpensive for the management to improve some of the deficiencies.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JustMyOpinon
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

We appreciate your feedback and have resolved some of the issues mentioned.
We have installed hook hanger units on the bathroom walls.
Installed glass shelves over the sinks.
We are replacing the pots and pans in all units (as we do frequently)
We attempt to stay on top all issues brought to our attention (preferrably while your here), so we can quickly resolve them.
Once again we thank you for providing the feedback, so we could correct the issues of concern.

Bill & Shelley

#1 of 4 in Capitola
Beach Street Inn and Suites
Beach Street Inn and Suites
#3 of 54 in Santa Cruz

Been to Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages? Share your experiences!