All reviewsthe cottagessunny covebagels and cream cheesenice deckmini kitchencontinental breakfastpatio furniturehome away from homebeach accessbed was very comfortablenice staycapitolaunitboardwalkmotelproximitycliffs
Reviewed March 22, 2012

After reading so many negative reviews, I started questioning our choice to stay at this Inn. However, our experience could not have been more enjoyable. Contrary to what we read, the Inn was very quaint and settled in a nice little neighborhood. The grounds were well cared for and the cottages were cute. We stayed in a cottage complete with a very clean and usable kitchenette (stove, oven, nice sized fridge). The bathroom was the perfect size, as was the closet, and water pressure was awesome. I came prepared for noise, but it was very quiet. We had a view of the trees and the beach was within walking distance. The staff were hospitable and freely recommended nearby restaurants. In anticipation of our arrival, they had even turned up the heat in our room.

We chose this area due to its proximity to Capitola, which is an easy and relatively close drive away. We were very pleased with our experience and we intend to return.

On a side note, we attempted to leave this positive review on yelp; however, our review was quickly removed (just as the owners of the Inn warned us it would be).

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Slmaurer
Reviewed March 21, 2012

This place is in such a great location. It's too bad it is not well managed or taken care of. Our room had a pair of women's underwear on the floor of the closet. The water barely ran in the rickety shower. We had to throw 2 bagels away from the morning "breakfast" because they were moldy. Come on now. A little attention to detail could make this place very cute and quaint. When I asked the caretaker for a couple of extra towels, he looked at me as if I was a criminal. Please...... The tiny, thin towels in the room hardly wrap around my head and I am not a big person. I was very disappointed for the price we paid for this place. I was not expecting a "resort", just a nice clean room and a little service with a smile. Had I gotten a little of that, I would not have written this.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2012

It is wonderful to be located a short walk from sunny cove beach. It's also convenient to have a small kitchen. But this hotel is over priced for what it offers. All of the units are different, and this review applies to units 8 and 9.

There is absolutely no place to put anything in the bathroom. There is no shelf, no hook on the door, nothing. I had to drag a chair in to use as a stand.

The kitchen is marginally equipped. The tiny refrigerator is missing shelves. There are minimal dishes. Pots and pans are old.

I have stayed here several time because I like the location. But I always leave feeling I paid too much for it. It would be simple and inexpensive for the management to improve some of the deficiencies.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JustMyOpinon
OceanEcho, Manager at Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2012

We appreciate your feedback and have resolved some of the issues mentioned.
We have installed hook hanger units on the bathroom walls.
Installed glass shelves over the sinks.
We are replacing the pots and pans in all units (as we do frequently)
We attempt to stay on top all issues brought to our attention (preferrably while your here), so we can quickly resolve them.
Once again we thank you for providing the feedback, so we could correct the issues of concern.

Bill & Shelley

Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed here as a family of 4, took one of the larger houses with a nice deck. the place is very clean, and has a little path down to the beach (it is not exactly beachfront, but it sure is very close). the cottages are arranged on a little hill, so each one feels like it has privacy. The kitchens and bathrooms are very dated, but clean. the owners were super friendly and helpful. overall, no complaints and would come again. just know that pets are allowed. i suffered some asthma in the night as I do when around animals. I do love animals, so this is something I live with, but be aware. a good value.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank evilexis
Reviewed January 2, 2012

So, first off, a reminder: this is a *motel*. Not a hotel.

Secondly, it's pretty much on the beach (just a few yards from it).

Thirdly, it's in Santa Cruz.

Due to the first point, there should be no surprises that one might not get resort-style service and amenities. Due the the second and third points, folks shouldn't be surprised at the prices.

These aside, the experience that my family and I had was simply phenomenal. I've traveled across the country 6 times, and have stayed in countless motels. This is THE BEST motel I have EVER stayed in. Period. Here are some facts to consider, if staying at the Echo should become a possibility for you:

* My wife, two kids, and two dogs stayed in cottage/suite #1 for $145, before taxes. (We came in late and struck up a good rapport, so they waived one of the dog fees for us; it was also during off-season).

* Everything was super-clean: rug, wood floors (laminate), kitchen, bathroom, linens, etc.

* The service was fantastic: the owners (husband-wife team) were very friendly, good communicators, truly cared that we had a good stay, really love and are proud of their property (as they should!).

* The beach took about 1.5 minutes to walk to. At low tide, there is easy access to the much larger beach just south of the cove.

* There's a great (and *super* friendly) neuvo Mexican place a block north. Across the street is a highly-rated tacqueria, and a short drive away is the best breakfast in the area (Harbor Cafe).

Summary: we'll be back! We're making this our home-base for exploring Santa Cruz.

If you hate it, don't come back! More room for those of us who love this place :-)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family