“Great food - slow service”
Review of Cafe Limelight

Cafe Limelight
Ranked #137 of 372 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, CA
“Great food - slow service”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This place serves panini almost exclusively. And the one I had was absolutely delicious. My companion's choice was also great. So the food really is top notch. The only negatives were that the appetizer came at the same time as the entrees, and the service, though really friendly, was very, very slow. Because we were having a leisurely lunch, it didn't really matter, but if you have a limited amount of time, I can see it not being the best choice. Still, the food is really, really good and the atmosphere is very nice, very cozy, and interesting. I really enjoyed this place and I intend to go back. I recommend it highly, although, as stated above, don't go there if you are in any kind of a hurry.

• Visited October 2013

Santa Cruz, CA
“Try the Hummus”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Cafe Limelight is casual, intimate and funky. It's a bit like eating over at a friend's house. Always great jazz on the stereo. We have some favorite grilled sandwiches here, but we always get the house-made hummus. It's served with bell peppers, bread, carrots and cucumber. It so so good it's worth trying this place just for it.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank PacificAve
“Best Caesar Salad in the World”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I fell in love with this place initially because of the unparalleled panini. I fell deeper in love when I realized that if you sit outside you can bring your dog and order a treat for your pet from a special dogs' menu. But it's the pace and friendliness of this restaurant that's so special. Owner Farouk likes to know his regular customers, and he greets you like family. Cozy seating, cool jazz, movie nights with a drop-down screen, and a personal touch all make this one of my favorite spots in Santa Cruz.

But it took me a while—I was distracted by the panini (especially the Cheddar, Onion and Cumin)—to find the hidden gems on the menu. The homemade hummus with pita and veggies is the best hummus I've ever had, by a wide margin. And the Caesar salad is a revelation. Farouk does a light dressing. There's nothing heavy or mayo-y or out-of-a-bottle here. He shaves the cheese, so you get big surface area and therefore big flavor on your tongue. And the croutons (panini-grilled wedges of bread, thin and perfect) are rubbed with fresh garlic for a giant burst of flavor. You should absolutely try this place if you haven't already.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank KOtraveler234
Santa Cruz, California
“nice ambiance and staff”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Food is good but the menu is very limited. cozy atmosphere and nice staff.
The soups are tasty and paninis yummy.

Visited October 2012
Bay Area, CA
“Great little gem with amazing paninis”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I love the paninis here. The salads are very fresh too. It's a cute little restaurant that is decorated very nicely.

Visited September 2012