“This place sucked”

Ranked #40 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Dixon, California
“This place sucked”
Reviewed August 1, 2010

The pictures are VERY misleading... Trick photography maybe? Dirty and smelly rooms; beds that were hard as a box spring and walls that allowed us to hear our neighbor opening their sliding glass door. The staff seemed to be working very hard at the breakfast bar which was pretty good. For a hotel as large as this the seating at the breakfast area was minimal, at best. Couldn't get a good signal for internet either. Travel lodge across the street came in though.They told me at check out that I could not use my AAA card for the reduced rate and that I should have given it to them at the time of check in. I will never go there again nor will I recommend this hotel to anyone. Not worth the money we spent AT ALL. I suggest anyone who reads this to drive 2 miles further and go to Capitola. No methadone clinics there...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
santacruzbeachinnca, Webmaster at Hotel Solares, responded to this review, November 25, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Santa Cruz Beach Inn at which to stay during your recent visit to our area.

I am very glad that you enjoyed your breakfast.

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training as to the level of cleanliness which they are expected to maintain.

2) Both management and maintenance were notified about the problem with the internet and this is being looked into.

3) The reason that you couldn’t use your AAA card is being looked into.

I hope that the next time you are in our area you will again choose to stay at the Santa Cruz Beach Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Pro's: it's clean, it's reasonably comfortable, and it's four blocks from the Boardwalk. The beds are comfy and we actually all slept like rocks.

Con's: It's old and a bit shabby. The front desk couldn't find our reservation (or the person's in front of us), even though we had our confirmation e-mail in hand - it took 45 minutes to check in. They yelled at us for taking towels off the premises as we were headed through the lobby to pick up our teenagers from the beach and didn't want to get the seats of the rental car wet....like we're gonna come all the way from Seattle to steal their crappy thin towels. The pool is tiny. The hot tub is tiny. There are two working outlets in our room. There are bare, exposed wires on the lamp cord. Their free in-room wi-fi has a poor connection and dies about every 20 minutes (the lobby area might be better). The fridge leaks water onto the floor. The continental breakfast is slim pickin's - cold cereal, watery juice, coffee, cocoa, tiny pastries, red apples, and you can make waffles. We stayed here 3 days and never saw the lovely strawberries and kiwi spread like their web site shows. The "on site laundry" is two washing machines in a closet, there is no change machine, the front desk refused to give change, and the detergent dispenser is broken. Nice. Bring your own beach towels, your own laundry detergent and quarters, and you too can spend an hour of your vacation sitting on the cold floor waiting for your clothes to get clean while writing your review of this place.

All this and they still charged us 10 bucks for a rollaway bed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

perth
Reviewed July 17, 2010

rooms are clean, beds not the best, majority of staff friendly. Got a rude welcoming after driving 5 hrs where the guy on the desk just said "dont even look at check ins until after 1.30pm - come back then" when we came back at 3pm the girls were helpful apart from giving me the wrong room number and then saying not she didnt but my husband and I both heard anyway not the best impression.
Unfortunately location is not the best, it is not safe to walk at night and the area really gives you an unsettling feeling even at dusk. Its a good walk to the broadwalk, I would try and get a hotel closer to the boardwalk before the bridge.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Cardiff, Ca
Reviewed June 10, 2010

I wish I had checked this site before booking. Came up to pickup my son from UCSC for his summer off. What a sham. Plopped in a thug neighborhood with thug clientele. Walked in the lobby to prisonwear vatos and their chain smokng girlfriends all with foul mouths. The pool was surrounded by the same.
Room is decent but definately worth the price. Hell, I got a way nicer room in downtown Monterey for way less.
Will never stay here, or recommend this hotel to anyone other than those on a furlow from prison.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am sorry that you felt uncomfortable during your stay at our establishment. The management has received additional training in their responsibility to see that the language in the common areas is one that is not offensive to other guests. We are also looking into the possibility of providing smoking and non smoking areas.

I hope that the next time you visit in our area you will choose to stay at the Santa Cruz Beach Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Modesto, California
Reviewed May 12, 2010

Picutres can be worth 1,000 words, but my 1,000 words wouldn't be fantastic about this hotel. Location - Poor, this hotel is located in a shady residential neighborhood! Locals have tarps up as driveway covers, and screaming kids running up and down the street! Room - ugh - where do I begin - the room smelt like a dirty motel (not what I expected when paying this much for a hotel room. The room didn't have real curtains, it had cheap imitation venitian blinds on the windows (of which only 1 of the 3 in our room opened). The balcony was filthy - I'm not sure if the floor had ever been washed down! The towels in the bathroom were harder than a rock. They literally scratched my skin when drying off after a shower. The plug for the bathroom sink broke when I tried to plug/fill the sink. The TV was in the center of the room, while the bed was on the far right side of the room - makes it difficult to watch TV. Breakfast - ok, typical continental breakfast at any dive hotel... lastly - They charged me for the room on the day we checked in (Saturday), and when we checked in I told the girl at the front desk that my card had already been charged.... she said ok. We checked out on Sunday she had me sign again, and on Tuesday - they recharged my card! I have now paid twice for a room that wasn't worth paying for the first time. Wouldn't stay at this hotel again, nor would I recommend to friends or family... the picutres on the website do not fairly represent this hotel!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Santa Cruz Beach Inn for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is greatly appreciated. These reviews are one of our greatest tools in being sure that the standards which we have set for our establishment are being maintained.

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken:

1) The housekeeping staff received additional training in meeting the level of cleanliness which we expect them to maintain as our employees.

2) The matter of the location of the television is being looked into to see if the televisions in the rooms could and should be relocated to make them more convenient for our guests.

3) The matter of your being double billed is being looked into.

I hope that the next time you visit our area you will choose to stay at the Santa Cruz Beach Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Puyallup
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I’m a 60 year old professional man. A friend and I have been coming to Santa Cruz for the past eight years to surf (and attend an annual eye care meeting in Monterey). We have enjoyed Santa Cruz and the surfing so much that we are now coming 2-3 times per year. We had stayed at various places in the area until we found the Santa Cruz Beach Inn approximately 5 years ago. Our criteria for choosing a place to stay are pretty simple:
• Clean rooms and facility
• Firm mattresses
• Quiet area
• Helpful and polite staff
• Free breakfast
• Spacious room
• Cable TV
• Good access to the beach and down town Santa Cruz
• Reasonable prices (stay 3 nights and get one free, etc.)
The Santa Cruz Beach Inn (SCBI) met all of these criteria and then some (e.g. swimming pool, hot tubs, free wireless access, balconies off of our room, etc.). It is not a “full service” hotel, but it meets our needs beautifully. We simply want to feel comfortable, safe, and have a management and staff who seem sincerely interested in the quality of our stay.
If your criteria for lodging are similar to ours, then we highly recommend the Santa Cruz Beach Inn.

Woody H from Seattle

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Kingsburg
Reviewed November 26, 2009

The outside and courtyard are a great facade to a terrible stay. Although the rooms were spacious and the balconies/patios for each room were pleasant, this did not even come close to overcoming the terrible mattresses, curtains falling from the rods, stained comfortors/curtains/carpet, and broken down everything. When we first walked into the room, my jaw simply dropped. The mattresses droopped so badly your back hurt just looking at them. The curtain covering the sliding door was missing about a third of the hooks and the cheap mini-blinds were bent/broken and barely covered the window. And to top it all off, there was no A/C. Hot, sticky, and smelly!!! Never again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. It is these reviews that help us to maintain the level of care we demand for our establishment.

Upon receipt of your review, The following actions were taken:

1) Housekeeping, maintenance and management staff all received additional training concerning their duties in seeing that the guestrooms are properly maintained.

2) Missing hooks, stained or dirty comforters or curtains are being replaced.

3) Broken appliances are being fixed or replaced.

4) The matter of no A/C is being looked into.

I hope that the next time you visit our area you will again choose to stay at the Santa Cruz Beach Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.