“Better hotels for the $” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Solares

Hotel Solares
Ranked #40 of 53 Hotels in Santa Cruz
South Lake Tahoe
“Better hotels for the $”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

For the money it's not the worst hotel. We stayed in room 209. The AC never worked and the bathroom was disgusting! Bathroom had that orangish slime on the walls mixed with some black hair. None of us have black hair so obviously not ours. Bathrooms don't have ANY circulation at all, probably the reason for that orangish greasy slime on the walls and ceiling. Front desk staff was friendly, pool area was decent and clean, morning breakfast was total garbage! I wouldn't stay here again unless I was totally broke and looking for a super cheap room.

Stayed August 2014
Ash V, Front Office Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this review, February 26, 2015
We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We have recently remolded our bathrooms, so any issue you mentioned has been fixed. We appreciate your feedback and will take all your comments into consideration. We are glad to know however that you found our staff to be friendly and hope that you'll consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted with smiles and told we had been upgraded for free; sounded great. However, we entered our room to find stained carpet, broken door/window locks, and the smell of what I assume was urine(this is a pet friendly hotel; something our booking site failed to mention). The mirror in the restroom was literally hanging off the wall by one nail (I have pictures) and fell off at one point during our stay.

Halfway through our stay, we noticed the hotel had taken the cost of the room out of our account although the card was only to be kept on file. The person at the front desk told us we were mistaken. We checked with our bank and confirmed the money had been taken out and our account was now overdrawn (this is not the card we intended to pay with upon check out). I began to explain to the front desk associate what our bank had shared with us when he put his hand up only about 1 foot from my face and told me I had no right to speak because I was not the person on the booking paperwork. This is by far the worst "customer service" I have ever received. I will say that all other hotel employees were very pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014
      Location
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank julieann88

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel greeted me like I was family. I had had a terrible experience with another hotel and the friendly staff at this hotel changed my view of the chain. This hotel exceeded my expectations. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
DaysInnSC, General Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this review, September 21, 2015
We work very hard to ensure every guest is taken care of and enjoys a nice, comfortable stay while they are here with us . We attempt to ensure that every guests leaves feeling taken care of and I am glad you did as well. We deeply appreciate the time you have taken to review us and cannot wait until the next time you visit us again at the Days Inn & Suites - Santa Cruz.

Katrina Jenkins
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We used this hotel out of need when our plans to head to our San Francisco hotel a day early fell thru. It was dirty from the start!! When we headed to our rooms there was a huge pile of dirty towels in front of our door and a few bags of trash in front of the room my kids used. It was were housekeeping left everything for that side of the hotel before it was taken to the laundry. The room carpets need to be changed out or at least steam cleaned same with the in room chairs. I think I had to kill 4-5 spiders between our room and my kids room. The AC barely worked and was extremely loud. I don't know how these places stay in business if it's not for people like us that don't know any better and rent out of need.

• 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jcerv19
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Santa Cruz is our family's favorite get away spot ,, My kids absolutly love everything there , beach,boardwalk and the Hotel. Ash The Manager has become like part of your family , always taking great care of us with a smile :) Thanks Ash !

• 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Ash V, General Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for your great review. Its really exciting to have our valued guests take the time to write about their stay. Your comments make us all here at the Days Inn proud that we are doing something right. Hope to see you again soon when your travel brings you back to santacruz.

Best Regards
Daysinn Santa Cruz
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The three rooms we saw here ranged from passable for one night to absolutely unacceptable. We have personal experience with three different rooms and hope to give potential travelers a clear idea of what to expect…or better said, what not to expect.
We were traveling with our son (17) and needed a room for one night. I used the online service from Days Inn and immediately received a confirmation e-mail; however, I meant to get two queens (my mistake), so I called. The girl told me none were available, so we stuck with what we had (queen and a sofa bed), gave a credit card to hold the reservation because we couldn’t be there by 6 p.m., and thought all was good.
Arrival and check-in went smoothly. Our friends, who had checked in earlier, were satisfied with their room (two queens), although they indicated it wasn’t anywhere near the Sheraton we had been at the night before. Of course, I didn’t expect that from a Days Inn (even though it was costing me the same amount). Santa Cruz has inflated prices, especially in July, on Wharf-to-Wharf and UCSC orientation weekend. The price of $134 seemed a lot for that caliber, but I was willing to pay it for the convenience of being near the tournament we were attending. Little did I know the pit of a room that was awaiting me!
Our room, #114, was a dump. The lights on the wall wouldn’t turn on, and in retrospect, that might be a blessing. We went on to discover, thanks to the dim ceiling light and the glaringly harsh bathroom light, the complete state of decay of the room. I’m including lots of photos to document this. The carpet was torn, fraying, and stained with I-don’t-know-what. (Animals are allowed on the first floor.) The bathroom had a rotting mirror, numerous cracks in the tile, filthy grout (Tip: Check out-of-the-way places like under countertops to see what the “original” grout should look like. Generally it is grey or white, not BLACK like the grout here.), the towel rack on the ground due to one of the brackets being entirely broken off the wall, and a hole in the back of the door. The handle was also decaying. The sofa bed, which I wouldn’t have let a pet jump on let alone my child sleep in, was broken. The springs and support mechanism were completely gone at the lower left side. When he unfolded it and tested with his hands, my husband went clear through to the floor. To top it off, the bracket for the bolt had been split in not one but two places. Of course, that wouldn’t have mattered since the sliding glass door was wide open when we unlocked the room!
I had gone to the front to tell them about the door (desk personnel showed no surprise) and the lights (reluctantly agreed to come see about it after asking me if the light was broken.), and then returned to the room. My family showed me the horror described above, and I went back to the front, as no one had yet come to us, and was going to ask for a different room. That’s when I heard the desk clerk tell someone that there were only two rooms available, both suites, including the honeymoon suite. The person declined, so I asked for a key to preview the room.
It was on the third floor, room 306, and was passable. The room was giant, it seemed clean but dingy, and there were none of the glaring issues seen in room 114. It goes for $219, but she offered it to me for $189. Although this is highway robbery, I took it because it was only for the one night, and the room seemed okay. [When the rooms have bottle-openers permanently attached to the cabinets, you know it's not a classy joint!] Other that the children tearing up and down the corridor at six in the morning and the crush at the breakfast leaving almost to eat nothing by eight (We went to The Buttery Café, instead…excellent! I didn’t want my family to get the food at the Days Inn, anyway, based on the condition of that room. I wouldn’t even trust this hotel with prepackaged food.), the stay was uneventful. Our friends who stayed in #326 weren’t impressed, either.
We will not be back and encourage you to avoid this place, as well. We checked out as soon as the group was ready, and the man who handled it didn’t ask me how things were. Clearly he knew better.

Room Tip: The first floor allows pets, and that certainly shows in the carpet. It's torn, stained, and ge...
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Cece B
Although we are not the Sheraton we do try to provide our customers with the best service and experience possible. Booking hotels in Santa Cruz you will find all the rates in the area to be especially high in the summer months. The rate you recieved was actually a huge discount from what it should have been since it was Wharf to Wharf weekend. Rates that weekend were going from $399-$200 at ALL hotels and motels in Santa Cruz. We did try to accomodate you by switching your room since you were not happy with the other one. Some of the problems in the room you reported were never brought to our attention by other guests so we were unable to fix certain issues (towel rack, sofa bed) before you checked in . We are currently in the works of remodeling our rooms, it is a slow process since we are a very busy hotel. We want everyone to know that although our hotel is not a 5 star our staff do try to provide 5 star service. It is very unfortunate that although we moved your room and tried to accomodate you by providing a discount, you still found it upon yourself to give us such a negative review. And to make comments about our breakfast although you never even ate it is very dissapointing. To assume that we do not provide a healthy and clean breakfast experience is wrong of you since you did not have any. I find your comments very contradictory since you mentioned your friend was satisfied with their room and then you said they weren't. If that was the case they should have brought it to our attention and we would of done the best to accomodate them. The problems in the pictures have already been addressed by our maintenance staff. Thank you for your very detailed review. I hope new and future customers know that this is one opinion and that they will take the time to form their own opinions.
Carson, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed one night,checked inn everything was fine the fountain was little outdated.manager is great and genuinely nice person you can see he cares for his customers.nice staff as well.overall happy customer will return again in September.Thank you for great stay.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. It give us satisfaction in knowing that the hotel's location, room accomodations, and service all met your needs. We would gladly welcome you back on your next trip to santa curz.Thank you for staying with us.
Best Regards