“Very average”

Ranked #40 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
SAN FRANCISCO
“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I've stayed in several places in Santa Cruz, and this one is as mediocre as the next. I was expecting a bit more from Days Inn, and the place is very good for the value, but there's certainly no reason to stay here over other standard beach motels in Santa Cruz. The reception staff members were fairly unfriendly (both check-in and check-out, different staff members), which suggests that there isn't much oversight at this place. The strangest thing from my perspective was that there were almost NO outlets in the room, which suggests no interest in upgrading to basic modern conveniences. (We all have devices these days that require charging.... I had to charge my phone in the bathroom next to the sink!) Also, the lock to the balcony door was broken, which meant that the only thing keeping the door locked was an old-fashioned chain. As a male traveling alone, I wasn't bothered, but this seems like basic lack of attention to maintenance. The bedding was updated, which is nice for a beach motel, but truthfully the bed was quite uncomfortable, and I did not sleep well. It is nice that there is free (very basic, low quality) breakfast. But again, there is no reason to stay here over any other beach motel I've stayed in Santa Cruz, apart from the fact that this happened to be the cheapest rate for my visit. I certainly won't avoid this place, as it was clean and comfortable enough, but I won't go out of my way to stay here again.

For those concerned with WiFi, the quality was low. I had difficulty streaming a movie I had rented on my computer.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Copenhagen, Denmark
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night on our way to Big Basin.
The room was spacious but dark and not cozy. The bed was soft and the blanket at the bed was very thin and did not give any warm. The heather was nosy.
The breakfast was ok with waffles and bagels.

• Stayed September 2012

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Tracy, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Sure the price might look good but If your room is near there garbage cans 7am on a wednesday morning wake up from the waste company an if you try to fall back asleep he comes back at 8am for the recycling. Horrible beds, I actually found bed bugs didn't want to tell the guy at the front desk cause he was weird, so I threw off my bedding an tried my best to flick them off. I Will never stay at a days inn ever!

Room Tip: stay away from this place all together!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
san carlos, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

You need to take into account that this is a 2 star hotel and have the expectation of 2 star. Additionally Santa Cruz doesn't have a lot of nice places to stay and hotels seem to be overpriced especially on summer weekends. That aside this is a solid option. Rooms are large, clean and even have a fridge/microwave/coffee maker. The complimentary breakfast is pretty good too, it had something for the whole family. Location is good as well, just a short walk to the beach boardwalk and close to the downtown with better resturant/shopping options. One negative is no AC but it cools down at night and if you ask they will give a fan. All rooms appeared to have a small balcony which was a nice bonus.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Roseville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

Ash is who took care of us on the phone when reserving and when we got there, he is fantastic. We were in rm.320 with a really nice balcony overlooking the pool. I am very particular about cleanliness, I always take my own sanitary wipes ( for doorknobs, remotes, etc.) the rm. was very clean ( I checked it out really good, not even a black hair on the bathroom floor from the housekeeper, LOL. ) which I have always seen in most hotels they will even be on the beds.( the black hair). Its in between where you can walk downtown and also just a short walk to the boardwalk. the man that was taking care of the breakfast area was Johnny on the spot right there refilling items and making sure everything was clean , they had waffles, bagels cream cheese, juice all hot drinks cereal, oatmeal, danish pastry , toast, fruit, my husband had to tell a couple of the people how to use the waffle maker (lol). The outside area is very well kept and neat. the only negative the bed sloped to the middle (king ) and the electric outlet by the desk didn't work. We were very happy with our room and Ash is extremly nice and helpful, there also was a man working outside and doing doing things around the motel , he was also very nice and friendly, they go over and above the call of duty, they are not just doing their jobs, you can tell they really like their jobs, the day we checked out (labor day), they even let us keep our car parked there while we went back to the boardwalk and the wharf for lunch before we left.

Room Tip: corner suits are larger and sunny, I would ask for a room overlooking the other water feature or the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Cons:
No towels in room
Washcloths were filthy with hair in them
Speckled paint all over room
Dirty ceiling
Spiders in room
Paper thin walls and ceiling
Moldy smell
Only two accessible electric outlets ...one in the bathroom and one behind T.V. stand
Noisy "kids" in both hot tubs which deterred us from enjoying them
Dirty iron and ironing board
No A.C.
No water pressure in shower
Filthy carpet
Very old building period. This should not be qualified as a certified Days Inn.

Pros:
Short walk to the pier

For the price we paid for a one-night stay, the accommodations should have been 4 star. We stayed at an equally priced Hilton hotel near Disney with much, much better accommodations than this "hotel". Building needs to be condemned.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is very nice, and close to the beach and board walk, the building is old,and kind of needs to be renovated but service make up for it though, and price it's average like Santa Cruz price, I would recommend it specially if you want to be close to the board walk.

• Stayed August 2012