“Great 2 star option”
Review of Hotel Solares

Hotel Solares
Ranked #39 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed September 17, 2012

You need to take into account that this is a 2 star hotel and have the expectation of 2 star. Additionally Santa Cruz doesn't have a lot of nice places to stay and hotels seem to be overpriced especially on summer weekends. That aside this is a solid option. Rooms are large, clean and even have a fridge/microwave/coffee maker. The complimentary breakfast is pretty good too, it had something for the whole family. Location is good as well, just a short walk to the beach boardwalk and close to the downtown with better resturant/shopping options. One negative is no AC but it cools down at night and if you ask they will give a fan. All rooms appeared to have a small balcony which was a nice bonus.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Ash is who took care of us on the phone when reserving and when we got there, he is fantastic. We were in rm.320 with a really nice balcony overlooking the pool. I am very particular about cleanliness, I always take my own sanitary wipes ( for doorknobs, remotes, etc.) the rm. was very clean ( I checked it out really good, not even a black hair on the bathroom floor from the housekeeper, LOL. ) which I have always seen in most hotels they will even be on the beds.( the black hair). Its in between where you can walk downtown and also just a short walk to the boardwalk. the man that was taking care of the breakfast area was Johnny on the spot right there refilling items and making sure everything was clean , they had waffles, bagels cream cheese, juice all hot drinks cereal, oatmeal, danish pastry , toast, fruit, my husband had to tell a couple of the people how to use the waffle maker (lol). The outside area is very well kept and neat. the only negative the bed sloped to the middle (king ) and the electric outlet by the desk didn't work. We were very happy with our room and Ash is extremly nice and helpful, there also was a man working outside and doing doing things around the motel , he was also very nice and friendly, they go over and above the call of duty, they are not just doing their jobs, you can tell they really like their jobs, the day we checked out (labor day), they even let us keep our car parked there while we went back to the boardwalk and the wharf for lunch before we left.

Room Tip: corner suits are larger and sunny, I would ask for a room overlooking the other water feature or the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Cons:
No towels in room
Washcloths were filthy with hair in them
Speckled paint all over room
Dirty ceiling
Spiders in room
Paper thin walls and ceiling
Moldy smell
Only two accessible electric outlets ...one in the bathroom and one behind T.V. stand
Noisy "kids" in both hot tubs which deterred us from enjoying them
Dirty iron and ironing board
No A.C.
No water pressure in shower
Filthy carpet
Very old building period. This should not be qualified as a certified Days Inn.

Pros:
Short walk to the pier

For the price we paid for a one-night stay, the accommodations should have been 4 star. We stayed at an equally priced Hilton hotel near Disney with much, much better accommodations than this "hotel". Building needs to be condemned.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is very nice, and close to the beach and board walk, the building is old,and kind of needs to be renovated but service make up for it though, and price it's average like Santa Cruz price, I would recommend it specially if you want to be close to the board walk.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We needed a room for 12 people, but we're on a budget!!!
We found this hotel by calling around because alll hotels were booked.
We ended up getting the family suite (room 300) which was BEAUTIFUL!
It is 2 levels with spiral stair case, two pull out beds ( full size) down stairs and a king bed up stairs . A half bath downstairs with bar sink, mini fridge, microwave, long balcony with seats for 4 and an tv and dining table.
Upstairs has the king bed, tv, 2 night stands, 2 seats and a little table, ironing board and iron. Also had the two exposed double sinks ( his and hers), the jet tub ( for two... Ya right! For one!) with shower curtain and NO DOOR? And a toilet with a door! Lol
He paid for 6 people and snuck in 5 more ( family) and made it work because we brought 2 queen size airbeds that fit perfectly upstairs!
This was a huge room and so great for our trip!
The hotel has a heated outdoor pool, clean and big with two outdoor hot tubs, vending machines in each floor with SNACKS and soda machines, public restrooms for guests, plenty of parking on property and on street and a FULL BREAKFAST in morning from 6-10a with tins of options and 'make your own Belgian waffle bar' !
The lobby is breakfast area and has 4 tables and 4 chairs each!
The hotel was about 3 1/2 blocks from main entrance to boardwalk, just a straight shot over the overpass and a very safe area, even at night and WE HAD three 4 year olds!! They walked and didn't complain!!!
We will be back again!
Hope this helps you!!! I was scared when I was looking....but we were very pleased!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Our room was filthy so was the bathroom and the towels. The blinds were broken and too small. The door jam on the lock side was broken. The room was missing furniture. This should NOT be qualified to be a Days Inn!!!!

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel. I would share the photos that I took but feel it isn't fair to Days I...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here two nights in a double queen room which is bigger than most we have stayed in. We have no issues with this hotel apart from it being a little difficult to find. 10 minute walk to the boardwalk, clean room and bathroom, friendly staff, decent breakfast. I cannot understand the bad reviews quite honestly I suppose it just depends on how picky you are.
Believe me, I am and I cannot find anything wrong with this place.
Contact me if you need answers to anything, I'd be glad to answer...

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family