“Horrible, smelly & dirty place!!!”

Capri Motel - Santa Cruz
Capri Motel - Santa Cruz
Ranked #50 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
“Horrible, smelly & dirty place!!!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Me & my friends stayed here for one night in room 135. The room was a non smoking room but when we first opened the door it smelled like cigarettes & poop. The bedsheets looked old & felt like they haven't been washed. Luckily we brought our own blankets,pillows & air mattress. The floor was dirty & had crumbs. No carpet. Bathroom walls had mold & the water in the shower wouldn't go down while showering.We slept uncomfortable the whole night thinking of what if there was bed bugs. The only thing good was the 5 minute walk to the boardwalk. Never will I state there again.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank hellokitty90

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lincoln, California, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2012

A group of us stayed one night here in early June. We had 4 rooms between 12 people. The rooms were VERY small and smelled musty. There were two double beds in each and there was hardley enough room to walk around the TV thats between the beds. The bathroom has a single sink and a smaller than average tub. The beds were very bouncy and the linens were just ok. The towels were so small I couldnt even wrap it around my body and I am not a large person. They were also VERY VERY rough - not good for skin that is sensetive from being in the sun all day. The front desk clerk was nice and took care of guests problems - we got a couple calls about our group being too noisy (which was not unfounded). The clerk also gave us the TV remote at check in (there wasnt one in the room) which was really weird and we were told to make sure to close and lock the windows when we left (even though they were open when we got there). The room was failry clean, but it is an older hotel. The pool had no water in it even though their website said there was a pool. It is in a good location though, close to the boardwalk and the beach.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Serena P
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I only stayed one night but it was a horrible experience. The room reeked of cat pee, bed was uncomfortable and something in the room made me itch. A previous poster mentioned bedbugs but I can't confirm that nor can I say it wasn't. The motel quite simply is a dump and should be demolished and perhaps the motel next door could expand their place. The parking situation was lousy too. The spaces are too cramped and one has to be careful backing out so they don't hit another car. The worst thing about my stay was the lack of sleep. A group of guys from a wedding party was staying at this dump and made noise throughout the night. They slammed doors continuously and had lengthy conversations just outside my room. This nonsense went on throughout the wee hours of the morning. I had maybe one hour sleep and had a 4 hour drive to look forward to. I was so annoyed and creeped out by the icky room that I decided not to use the horrid looking shower. My only interest was checking out! And it was extremely overpriced! $142.00 for a night stay in this rotten motel! I should have stayed at the Super 8 across the street. Lesson learned!!!

Room Tip: Forget about a room here, find another motel!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank MRSmith1968

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

north carolina
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I have stayed here a number of times. I travel to Santa Cruz about 6 times a year and always go to The Capri first and end up renting a room from them. It's just me and my room has always been clean and warm. The owners remember me every time and I apprieciate that very much. It's quiet at nite and I need that. Nearby is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and restaurants. It's a no brainer!!!

Room Tip: If you are a non-smoker, get a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank charlesfmagers
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Overpriced, in need of major repairs. The was pool covered with plastic held down with bricks, out of order.They have a bedbug problem and are in denial. No customer friendly service. I wanted my money back

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Payne56
Dublin
Reviewed July 4, 2009

Easily the worst place we've ever stayed in our lives. We had low expectations as it was a motel. So we thought nothing of the room when we saw it. We left the room for an hour to go into town to get something to eat and when we came back the wire mesh had been ripped from the window and our bags taken. After filling out police reports etc we went down to reception expecting some sort of reimbursement only to be met by a horrid man who wouldn't give us our money we paid for the room back. As we had been robbed we had no money to go stay anywhere else so we had to sleep in fear of the robber returning! Do not on your life stay here, it is a godforsaken dump and is not safe!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
4 Thank Traveller1234Dublin
Sacramento
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We ended up staying there on a last minute whim to spend the night in Santa Cruz but it so happened that there was a fujitsu conference that weekend and Laguan Seca in Monterey so every hotel was charging top dollar. It cost almost $100 for the night and the only good thing about it was close walking distance to the Boardwalk. Everything in the room was very old. Towels were thin and hard, blankets had burn holes from cigarettes and there was only in the bathroom ceiling where the fan was supposed to be. The carpet looked like it had not been shampooed let alone vaccumed in years. It was disgusting to look into the carpet while walking in my barefeet. It made me feel like squinching up my feet so as to not track any mysterious particles enroute to the shower. Everything in the room looked old, cheap, and very dirty.
Another kicker was the earlier than usual 11 am check out not that we wanted to be there any longer than absolutely neccessary. An experience that made me look forward to comfort of my own clean decent sized bed. The man at the front desk became rude with me when we asked if we could leave our cars at the hotel while we walked around Santa Cruz. He said that parking was not free and that it would be $10 more. I said that that we paid $100 for a flea bag of a room close to the Boardwalk to at least have the benefit of walking to the Bardwalk. Clearly, he was not concerned about getting repeat business. When I told him that I was not satisfied with the experience and that I did not think I visit that hotel again he said "good, we don't want you as a customer anyway"! Afterward my girlfiriend and I became convinced that they must hear that from customers often but that they really don't care because it is a crappy overpriced tourist trap.

• Liked — walking distance to the Boardwalk
  • Disliked — dirtiness and rude staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple