“Dirty dirty rooms”

Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Portland, Oregon, United States
“Dirty dirty rooms”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I am disappointed that I was misled by tripadvisor reviews and decided to book here, the place is disgusting, there is no excuse for the filthy rooms, brown stains all over the bathroom walls, don't make my mistake, spend an extra 40 bucks and get somewhere clean

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Jennifer M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed with my family at the Aqua Breeze Inn for one night in June 2013. Our stay was very "interesting" and I will give you the pros and cons of this motel. I know the owners read the reviews, and I hope they understand this review is not meant to harm their business but rather encourage them to make needed corrections.

The motel seems to be ran by a family, who I feel really are trying to do the best they can. Some of the motel owners are ultra nice and helpful, other's are just....

The motel is located directly across from the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. All you have to do is cross a street, and a parking lot, and you are on the Boardwalk. There are only a couple of motels/hotels that are closer, but their rates are much higher.

The property is a very old three story motel, which is in disparate need of a makeover. As we were walking to our room we saw many areas that are in need of repair and maintenance. Many of the problems we saw were easily correctable, so I'm not sure why they have not been repaired.

We stayed in the 2 queen penthouse room, with a kitchen and view of the Boardwalk. The room was large with a 25" old tube television and Direct TV. There was mixed matched furniture in need of updating throughout the room. The walls were in need of painting, you could seeing patching all over the walls. The one thing that I really didn't like about the room is that it had an unclean feel to it, and a unclean smell. I understand if the owners can't afford to update the furniture and fixtures, but there is no excuse for a room to feel unclean and have a bad odor. We made our small children keep there shoes on when in the room. The room did have awesome views of the Boardwalk. The beds in the room were comfortable.

The bathroom was very small, and the towels seemed dirty, and had stains on them, again, not at all inviting to use, or giving you a since of cleanliness. Only bar soap is provided, but I read on a different review that they will give you shampoo and conditioner at the desk.

The room came with a small kitchen that had a full size refrigerator, electric oven, microwave, sink and cabinets. Many areas of the kitchen were very dirty, and had not been properly cleaned/sanitized. There was visible grease stains all over the oven exhaust hood. I would not feel comfortable in the kitchen cooking or preparing meals.

Everyday from 8 -10am the motel serves a "Continental Breakfast" at the reception desk. the breakfast consisted of three types of cereal, OJ and milk. Neither the OJ or milk are refrigerated, but rather left out on the table in pitchers. They also have 3-4 different kinds of bread that you just reach in to the bag and pull out the number of slices you want. There is butter and jelly in a large pyrex container that are also left on the table and not refrigerated. I'm sure more than a couple of health codes are being violated.

The motel also has a small unheated pool and a washer/dryer room, neither of which we used.

My wife told me it was a shame the room wasn't better cleaned, because she really wanted to like this motel, and I feel the same way.

On the plus side, I'm don't think you could find a less expensive motel, so close to the Boardwalk, on the downside, you get what you pay for. If the owners did upgrade the rooms they could easily charge double the rates if not more.

I would not stay here again, nor recommend this location to my family and friends. I am giving this motel two stars because of the location and very low rates. If the room had been properly maintained and cleaned it would have got 3 to 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank SNAFU23

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Bend, Oregon
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at the Aqua Breeze and found it to be very reasonable. It's a motel but you know that going in. The management is very friendly and professional - I've been annoyed many times by hoteliers putting a phone call ahead of an in-person guest but that was not the case here. The accommodations are basic but I value a fridge, microwave and outdoor seating over cheap shampoo and conditioner (I usually bring my own anyway). I enjoyed sitting on the hotel's public deck with a glass of wine and my laptop during the sunset before venturing across a parking lot to the boardwalk and wharf. It doesn't get much closer than that and the best of Santa Cruz is a short walk or cheap cab ride away. You can pay more for upgraded accommodations close by but this just made more sense for us, especially since it was a late in / early out situation. Breakfast was one of the more sparse continental offerings I've seen but I was happy to have a muffin and juice. We would return to the Aqua Breeze.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hanford, California
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Wife and I took off for a couple days at Santa Cruz for a break. We stayed the Aqua Breeze Inn for the first time. The location is great just across the parking lot to the Beach Boardwalk and the wharf. It is an older small motel. The rooms are medium size for an older unit, a little worn, but very clean. We had a queen bed which was just ok for comfort. There is free Wi-Fi, Direct TV, refrigerator, microwave and free breakfast consisting of only coffee, OJ, milk, cereal and toast. Things not in the rooms you should know is no shampoo, conditioner, lotion (only soap), no hair dryer and no room coffee maker. The office does not open until 8 a.m. to get coffee which is bad for me, but may be find with you.

It is not bad for the price, we only paid $59 per night, so you get what you pay for and overall not bad for the price.

Room Tip: Would look at a room on third floor facing the boardwalk for the best view and less noise.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PurpleDancingqueen
AquaBreezeManagement, General Manager at Aqua Breeze Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are very happy you took the time to let others know that you enjoyed your stay and especially our location. I'm sorry we didn't make it clear though that most of the extra amenities you mentioned not being in the room were available upon request in the office, including shampoo/conditioner, hair dryer and an in room coffee maker, as well as irons and ironing boards.
We do only offer a limited continental breakfast as you described, but in the summer season we add a pastry/muffin to the selection as well.
Thank you again and we hope to have you stay with us in the future. Btw, if you call and let us know you are a repeat guest, we can offer you a better rate than what you would find online.
Columbia, California
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My boyfriend and i took my 14 year old to santa cruz for a couple days to see the ocean and ride the giant dipper. We got a room with 2 queens on the third floor and it was perfect! It was spacious, clean, free wifi, and had a fridge and microwave! We absolutely loved the fact that it was walking distance to the boardwalk. The guy at the front desk was super nice and helpful. They have a breakfast in the moring in the lobby that consists of coffee, milk, OJ, toast and cereal. They also have a pool and coin laundry if needed. We checked in for one day, but ended up staying two! Aqua Breeze is my new favorite and we will be returning!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Conetha S
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

we just stayed in aqua breeze the last night of our stay in santa cruz, and i wish we had discovered the place sooner. great location, clean and really spacious rooms, with internet you need to do the password exercise all the time - it's a bit annoying but it's rather often thing i guess, it's possible to get a nice view. there were just two of us, and we were looking for something a bit cheaper than they had on offer, and the guy on the reception offered us a two-queen beds room (in fact, two rooms) for the price of one-bed room plus a 10 bucks discount, and eventually we managed to find a even a room with a view on to the boardwalk. good stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The staff was nice and the location was perfect! My friends and I went for a night to visit the boardwalk and for the price we were surprised that it was so close to the boardwalk. Free parking which was nice and a cool balcony that you could sit at over the pool and see the boardwalk.

• Stayed April 2012