“great room”

Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Armona
“great room”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I took my grandchildren to Santa Cruz to see the boardwalk and this motel is right there. I seen alot of mixed reviews about this motel. I found it to be clean. The beds and linen were also clean so we were happy.With it being on the boardwalk it was very quiet at night. We did have a small problem with the breaker but the management was right on it . The management was very friendly and helpful. We will come back to this motel again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor it was a very quiet area.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Deborah W

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
New Mexico now (lived in Jamaica and Trinidad)
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I knew it would be no-frills, but I just needed a place to sleep and the price and central location were right. I'm not easily grossed out... I've spent time in lots of developing countries.
This hotel is near good areas, but not in one. The hotel lobby was full of broken vacuum cleaners and junk. Front desk clerk was weird and threw a tantrum when he couldn't figure out from my online receipt if I had pre-paid for my room or not. Unfortunately I had.
I'm not making this up: the guy staying in the room below mine had a full-size Nazi flag up in his window. He came out of his room, smoking a cigarette, and looked scary. I saw reviews that said the place was popular with late night partiers, but I figured, being the off-season, it wouldn't be bad. Wrong - I could hear people above, below and beside me, gearing up for the night. My room smelled strongly of cleaning products and bad vibes.
Went to dinner with my friends and then came back and checked out. I'm going to try to get my money back for three nights stay, but I went through Priceline, so not sure I can (any advice appreciated), because I didn't even spend one night.
I walked past the wharf and found the Seaway Inn, that was perfect. There seem to be a lot of nice, reasonable hotels near the wharf, and I should have waited till I got to Santa Cruz to find a hotel. I don't know what the summer rates would be, but I will *never* try to cut corners that way again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Jill G
AquaBreezeManagement, Manager at Aqua Breeze Inn, responded to this review, February 10, 2012
I'm sorry to hear you had such a terrible stay in Santa Cruz, but I do not believe that our property was the one you stayed at. As a person of color, I, nor any of our staff, would ever allow anyone to display a Nazi flag in the window of one of our rooms, that along with the specific mention of broken vacuum cleaners in our lobby, not to mention the remarks about the room's cleanliness, really makes it appear as though your review was in regards to a different property. Also, we did not have any guests that booked online that weekend check out early.
We do however welcome you to come and stay with us so that we can show you in person that we are one of the "nice hotels" you mentioned seeing in Santa Cruz.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Manteca, CA
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Good location if going to boardwalk. If there is a problem at night, no night person to help.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gjmtrucking
AquaBreezeManagement, Manager at Aqua Breeze Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Guest,
I'm sorry to hear you were not able to find help at night. Though our main office is closed from 10:30pm to 8am, there is always someone available for assistance at our night window, directions to which are found on either door of our office.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay otherwise, and hope you will stay with us again in the future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 25, 2011

New owner - wanted to give it a chance, with its location & value. Checked out in the early morning, after 2nd nite - and discovered I had bed bug bites on my ankles, face, wrist, hand! New experience for me! 1 week later, face still swollen, itching. The room was clean, but musty smell. Bed very comfortable - guess that's why I slept thru the bites! They never made up the room the 2nd morning, only gave an apology. So I cannot say there is good customer service. Would never return. No response to bed bug complaint.

Room Tip: For sure avoid the room over the office. I know bed bugs were a previous problem - they said from p...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen M
Dear Guest,
I am very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us, we do make every effort to make sure our guests have a pleasant stay, so I am sorry to hear that was not the case for you.
I must point out though that the 2 things you have accused us of are untrue according to my findings, and that
In regards to your accusation of us having bed bugs, you never made any mention of bed bugs at any point during your stay or when you left. We did however read your review which prompted us to :immediately call our pest control company to search for and deal with any bed bugs that may have been in the room you stayed in, to which they reported not finding a single one. We have not had a single incident of bed bugs in that room since we took over and remodeled, and haven't had any since your stay, so I cannot believe that actually happened.
In regards to your room not being serviced, we did apologies for the oversight and did offer to service your room right away, but you declined our offer and instead only exchanged towels.

Again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay, but I don't want false information being circulated online.
San Rafael, California
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Well where can I start talking about this great place.... I loved this hotel it was Clean and super near the boardwalk in Santa Cruz..... The costumer service was excellent. To be honest it's really hard to find places like THIS anymore......i almost forgot good pricing also.
Thank you guys so much.

Room Tip: I am all about costumer service and they were great!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank William C
Livermore, California
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I had planned an overnight stay with my daughter in Santa Cruz to have one more night away near the beach before college begins. We made reservations, and the plans got cancelled the day before. I admit I was intimidated by the bad reviews but after speaking with Kamal (he answered the phone) I feel much better about staying there. He explained to me how much they have renovated and are NOT what others have said about the hotel. I believe him and since customer service is a HIGH priority with this hotel~~ I WILL stay there my next trip guaranteed! I value places that honor customer satisfaction...its a rarity these days! Give them a try!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Stacey M
Missouri
Reviewed July 23, 2011

If you are looking for the Hilton, this is not it. However, if you like 1) to be REALLY CLOSE to the beach/boardwalk 2) Free Wifi 3) onsite laundry facilities 4) very reasonable prices, then this place is for you. I can understand why some people would not be happy staying here, but I thought the place offered everything that I needed without breaking my wallet. Parking spaces are very small so vehicles end up being parked VERY CLOSE TOGETHER!! There are actually 2 sides to the motel and it appears that one side may be rented out to locals (??).

We had a 2 bedroom kitchenette that was a perfect set-up for our weeklong stay. There was a tv in the living area and the master bedroom which was really nice since we were traveling with our children. Our room did have new tile, but I would suggest that they either do away with the couch or buy a cover for it, (we actually covered it with our own blanket :>( There was plenty of hot water and our housekeeper was great!! It actually took only 5 minutes to step foot into the ocean from our room, (and we didn't walk fast at all). The location is perfect!

I would recommend this motel to anyone that is on a tight budget and looking for a place to stay close to the beach. If you are one of those people who have high expectations and are hard to please, you might want to go elsewhere. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family