“Good food, generous portions, and great service”
Review of Royal Taj - CLOSED

Royal Taj
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had dinner here and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The food was nicely spiced and flavorful. We both ordered "medium" spicy and found it pretty hot, in a good way. If I went back I might order "mild" since I now know this place actually does spice up food. Some restaurants serve overly mild food if you don't ask for medium or spicy. That wouldn't be a problem here.

The atmosphere was nice but causal, the staff at the restaurant were polite and helpful, but didn't hover over us.

The portions were huge! We took a large amount of food to go and had it a delicious lunch of it the next day. If we return to Santa Cruz I am sure we'll eat here again.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

If you like Indian food and are in a hurry at lunch time, zip into the Royal Taj and go right to the buffet steam tables. There are vegetarian selections (the spinach dish is great) on one part of the line and chicken dishes on the other. Nan (Indian bread) and chai tea are included in the price, which is around $9.00 There could be a more extensive selection of dishes, but we've never gone hungry here. .

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I come here regularly for the lunch buffet which is very reasonably priced below $10. My wife and I bring our kids and the staff don't charge us for the kids (who mostly eat rice and naan), so we walk out having spent less that $20 for an unlimited amount of food for the family.
The food is very tasty, there is a large variety of choices even if you limit yourself to the buffet. The staff are quiet, but very attentive.
The outside of the building is not much to look at, but don't let that keep you away.
One of the best choices in Santa Cruz. In it's category, it deserves the 5 stars.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

This was my favorite restaurant on our two week vacation in California. I especially liked the mulligatawny and the lamb vindaloo. The food was wonderfully spiced and the portions seemed large. The service was quick and friendly. I wish there was a Royal Taj near my home.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

We just ate here this evening and the food was delicious!
I was a little nervous about the run-down look of the building but, my girl friends and our husbands braved on in and checked out a menu.
The staff are quiet yet made good recommendations.
We had Naan and Garlic Naan. Hot, fresh and buttery. The perfect starter.
My husband and I split the Raj Feast which was more than enough to fill us up. We especially enjoyed the Saag Paneer. It is spinach in cream with cheese. So delicious and rich. We loved the Chicken Tikka Masala and Tandoori chicken as well. All were flavorful and moist.
Our meal included our choice of dessert and we ended up stuffed.
Don't be fooled by quiet staff and rough exterior. The food is high quality and great value.