“Great Place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Mare

Cafe Mare
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe Mare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 368 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cooper street
Transit: Metro bus station 1 block away.
Description: Old world charm in the heart of Santa Cruz, authentic Italian cuisine with an extensive wine list and a full bar. Open for lunch and dinner as well as brunch on weekends. Ample public parking.
Los Angeles, California
“Great Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We were there to celebrate UCSC graduation. They were very busy. Nonetheless we had a great time and great food and wine nice atmosphere.

Visited June 2013

“Downtown Italian Eatery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

The dining room is surrounded by glass windows and is below street level making for a nice ambience. All the food was quite good. My wife had the special red snapper and was thrilled with it. I had the Zuppa de Mediterraneo, with prawns, calamari, mussels, clams and scallops in a tasty broth which is actually a soup. Delicious. My son had gnocchi with Prawns in a cream sauce and his girlfriend had the gnocchi in tomato sauce and they both loved them. all the other dishes- bruschettas, salads, and pastas were also very tasty. the desserts- tiramisu and panna cotta were outstanding. The service was outstanding despite the fact that this was dinner on Father's Day! Glad to have found this place!

• Visited June 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great option for downtown Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

We really enjoyed our meal at this restaurant.

The service was very attentive, the setting pleasant, and the food was delicious. The restaurant is also large, so it's likely to be easy to get a table, even at short notice.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Priceless seafood ravieri”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I have ordered brushetta, ravieli and tiramisu. I am not sure which one I loved more. We loved this place with my girlfriend. Must go in Santa Cruz if you have enough time even for 1 dinner

• Visited April 2013
los gatos
“Due For A Return In The Future”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

I rate this restaurant high for its location, appearance, comfort, friendliness, and service; but I only rate the food good, slightly above the average. It deserves another visit to try the food selections again, which are plentiful and varied. Part of my high rating is because i saw a couple of patrons eating dishes not listed on the evening menu; I believe they were able to order things to their liking (child), that was not listed. Good waiter and good kitchen.

There were four of us and I liked each of the dishes ordered, but somehow felt they were lacking in something. My lasagna was multiple pasta layers with flavorful fillings, but it seemed not to have been baked to caramalize the cheeses or the tomato sauce; that's where I find baked lasagna at its best. The cannelloni looked the same way.....almost the appearance of two enchiladas without any sauce. The gnocchi looked OK but was too much a mass of similar colors. The veal Marsala was just a plate of food. I think we all enjoyed the flavors, but I can't say I would hanker to come back again at any opportunity except to give it another trial.

Visited May 2012