“The Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #36 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Hollywood, California
“The Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2009

Imagine my surprise when I checked in to the Bay Front Inn in Santa Cruz California, where I stay two or three times a year. Room I thought were nice had been recently and elegantly redecorated. From new carpeting to bathroom tile.... lovely. Happily, the rates remained "friendly" ... as did the Managers Frank and Heidi. This older "gem" is just half a block from the beach. Still!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank turboscarab

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2009

We were looking for a place to settle in for the night after a long day at the beach and a tour of the city. The staff that greeted us was down to earth and treated us like family, not a scripted conversation like in a 5 star hotel. In short she made us very comfortable that we decided to stay for another day.Perfect location not very close to the beach crowed. Coffee is served all day which is + .Bicycle rental across street and a very nice walk to the Lagoon near by.
Not very fancy but a pleasant comfy accommodation. Looking forward to stay here again in our next visit to Santa Cruz.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
San Leandro, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

I can imagine the thin walls being an issue in the summer months. Okay, we were reluctant audience to an operatic, er, love session in the wee hours; thank god our pre-teens were asleep. Room clean and basic, and the woman at the desk was friendly. The garden setting is nice. Don't bother with the "free breakfast;" think as basic as possible then shave it down a notch. Would recommend if the person got a great deal, and was easygoing. We are used to staying in fancier digs, but found the place safe and clean.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Easy_Ramblers
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

Stay away from the Bay Front Inn! Our room was totally ghetto, particularly the bathroom (no shower head, already opened/used shampoo/conditioner/lotion, hair and dirt on the floor and countertop). Our toilet was backed up the entire two day stay, despite our reporting it to management multiple times. Manager kept promising to fix it, but never did, didn't offer us another room until an hour before our check-out time, and then insisted that we had intentionally flushed something down the toilet to block it. We paid a "discounted" $168/night for an absolute nightmare of a room and service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nasty bathroom and unaccommodating management
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

I read the most recent reviews and hoped that this place had fixed the previously reported problems. Unfortunately they had not. This place is really not worth what they're charging. The rooms are not very clean (dirty shower floor, hairs on the bathroom floors). The bathroom was very unpleasant. I don't know how to describe it other than SHABBY. For example: painting the walls and slopping paint all over the tiles. The shower nozzle was a water saver, was in an odd spot way over to the side and didn't really spray, only misted. It ran out of hot water quickly. They advertise wi-fi but it did not work. The continental breakfast is sweaty cellophane covered pastries, juice and coffee. They don't have enough parking spots for all the rooms and so if you don't lock in a spot fairly early in the day, you have to park in a meter on the street. They were willing to pay the meter but my car didn't feel safe out there. It's not a great neighborhood.I don't know how this ever got a AAA approval. This place was definitely not worth $150 night. The people seemed friendly but were shooting sugar coated bullets. They need to get their act together.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

Pros: Location, affordable, pool, friendly owners/managers, microwave/fridge a nice touch. Must of the furniture is updated.

Cons: I personally would avoid any rooms in the back outdoor hallway (from the lobby - rooms directly across the parking lot and through the open-air hallway). Why? A few of the rooms have poor ventilation windows are blocked by cyder block wall . One room I was originally in had water coming up the floor (it had rained the previous night); giving the room that basement water type smell. I also couldn't get any wireless internet (a fluctuating one bar) from where my room was; but ironically, I was able to get four bars from the hotel next door (I went to the hotel next door and asked for their password). The bathroom was sort of dated and could use some TLC.

Would I stay here again? Certainly. However, if I wanted to impress a date or my wife, I would choose another hotel.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — some rooms have poor ventilation/smell like a basement
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Cupertino,ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

"I think the personel are the owners and they were great. I had two rooms, one a king and the other had two queens. Both rooms very clean with fridge and microwave. Continental breakfest was typical especially since office area is small. Nice pool with solar heating. Very close to Pier/Boardwalk. Exterior was clean and nice looking. The prices were very reasonable. In response to other reviews, there were plenty of drawers for clothes. Bathroom fan loud?, my wasn't and I know my wife appreciated the fact that we had a fan (I ate a lot of junk food at pier). This will be my Hotel whenever I go to Santa Cruz

• Liked — Location, Physical Appearence, Excellent staff, Good pool for small hotel.
  • Disliked — My kids were with me. What a Drag!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family