“Clean and friendly”

Ranked #35 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
San Leandro, CA
“Clean and friendly”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

I can imagine the thin walls being an issue in the summer months. Okay, we were reluctant audience to an operatic, er, love session in the wee hours; thank god our pre-teens were asleep. Room clean and basic, and the woman at the desk was friendly. The garden setting is nice. Don't bother with the "free breakfast;" think as basic as possible then shave it down a notch. Would recommend if the person got a great deal, and was easygoing. We are used to staying in fancier digs, but found the place safe and clean.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Easy_Ramblers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
San Francisco
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Stay away from the Bay Front Inn! Our room was totally ghetto, particularly the bathroom (no shower head, already opened/used shampoo/conditioner/lotion, hair and dirt on the floor and countertop). Our toilet was backed up the entire two day stay, despite our reporting it to management multiple times. Manager kept promising to fix it, but never did, didn't offer us another room until an hour before our check-out time, and then insisted that we had intentionally flushed something down the toilet to block it. We paid a "discounted" $168/night for an absolute nightmare of a room and service.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nasty bathroom and unaccommodating management
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I read the most recent reviews and hoped that this place had fixed the previously reported problems. Unfortunately they had not. This place is really not worth what they're charging. The rooms are not very clean (dirty shower floor, hairs on the bathroom floors). The bathroom was very unpleasant. I don't know how to describe it other than SHABBY. For example: painting the walls and slopping paint all over the tiles. The shower nozzle was a water saver, was in an odd spot way over to the side and didn't really spray, only misted. It ran out of hot water quickly. They advertise wi-fi but it did not work. The continental breakfast is sweaty cellophane covered pastries, juice and coffee. They don't have enough parking spots for all the rooms and so if you don't lock in a spot fairly early in the day, you have to park in a meter on the street. They were willing to pay the meter but my car didn't feel safe out there. It's not a great neighborhood.I don't know how this ever got a AAA approval. This place was definitely not worth $150 night. The people seemed friendly but were shooting sugar coated bullets. They need to get their act together.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Pros: Location, affordable, pool, friendly owners/managers, microwave/fridge a nice touch. Must of the furniture is updated.

Cons: I personally would avoid any rooms in the back outdoor hallway (from the lobby - rooms directly across the parking lot and through the open-air hallway). Why? A few of the rooms have poor ventilation windows are blocked by cyder block wall . One room I was originally in had water coming up the floor (it had rained the previous night); giving the room that basement water type smell. I also couldn't get any wireless internet (a fluctuating one bar) from where my room was; but ironically, I was able to get four bars from the hotel next door (I went to the hotel next door and asked for their password). The bathroom was sort of dated and could use some TLC.

Would I stay here again? Certainly. However, if I wanted to impress a date or my wife, I would choose another hotel.

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — some rooms have poor ventilation/smell like a basement
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Cupertino,ca
Reviewed July 29, 2008

"I think the personel are the owners and they were great. I had two rooms, one a king and the other had two queens. Both rooms very clean with fridge and microwave. Continental breakfest was typical especially since office area is small. Nice pool with solar heating. Very close to Pier/Boardwalk. Exterior was clean and nice looking. The prices were very reasonable. In response to other reviews, there were plenty of drawers for clothes. Bathroom fan loud?, my wasn't and I know my wife appreciated the fact that we had a fan (I ate a lot of junk food at pier). This will be my Hotel whenever I go to Santa Cruz

• Liked — Location, Physical Appearence, Excellent staff, Good pool for small hotel.
  • Disliked — My kids were with me. What a Drag!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Washington State
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The managers, Frank and Heidi Notaro, were very hospitable. I noticed travelers from other countries were passing through. Heidi is from S. Africa and along with English, speaks her native tongue... German. The Bay Front Inn is a 1 1/2 block walk and very picturesque. I happened by this Inn on my walk. The flowers Frank and Heidi have blooming drew me to this place;personal. Coffee is excellent and their ever ready to serve their guests was evident. The pool warm and convenient to all you care to explore.

• Liked — flowers and pool
  • Disliked — not applicable
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Bavaria
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We just dropped in driving by and liked the place so much that we indeed stayed another night: Nice, cosy room, clean facility, friendly staff. Add a complimentary breakfast and a really fast internet access as a bonus.

But what we liked best: The beach and Santa Cruz Wharf are within walking distance (app. 5 min), as is the downtown shopping and nightlife area. Perfect for any beach lover and anyone wanting to get a grip onto California surf lifestyle.

I have no idea why some of the reviews of this place are so negative - it does not connect to the experience we had just recently at all. Even the rate was very reasonable, considered that we checked in just before Independence Day holiday rush.

The only person I would perhaps not recommend this place to would perhaps be very old people who like to stay in a very quite, remote and ultra-exclusive resort - but what would that kind of folks looking for at Santa Cruz anyway?

• Liked — Ideally located within walking distance to beach and nightlife/shopping facilities
  • Stayed July 2008