“Not bad; some work needed here and there”
Review of Bay Front Inn

Bay Front Inn
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Pros: Location, affordable, pool, friendly owners/managers, microwave/fridge a nice touch. Must of the furniture is updated.

Cons: I personally would avoid any rooms in the back outdoor hallway (from the lobby - rooms directly across the parking lot and through the open-air hallway). Why? A few of the rooms have poor ventilation windows are blocked by cyder block wall . One room I was originally in had water coming up the floor (it had rained the previous night); giving the room that basement water type smell. I also couldn't get any wireless internet (a fluctuating one bar) from where my room was; but ironically, I was able to get four bars from the hotel next door (I went to the hotel next door and asked for their password). The bathroom was sort of dated and could use some TLC.

Would I stay here again? Certainly. However, if I wanted to impress a date or my wife, I would choose another hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed July 29, 2008

"I think the personel are the owners and they were great. I had two rooms, one a king and the other had two queens. Both rooms very clean with fridge and microwave. Continental breakfest was typical especially since office area is small. Nice pool with solar heating. Very close to Pier/Boardwalk. Exterior was clean and nice looking. The prices were very reasonable. In response to other reviews, there were plenty of drawers for clothes. Bathroom fan loud?, my wasn't and I know my wife appreciated the fact that we had a fan (I ate a lot of junk food at pier). This will be my Hotel whenever I go to Santa Cruz

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The managers, Frank and Heidi Notaro, were very hospitable. I noticed travelers from other countries were passing through. Heidi is from S. Africa and along with English, speaks her native tongue... German. The Bay Front Inn is a 1 1/2 block walk and very picturesque. I happened by this Inn on my walk. The flowers Frank and Heidi have blooming drew me to this place;personal. Coffee is excellent and their ever ready to serve their guests was evident. The pool warm and convenient to all you care to explore.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We just dropped in driving by and liked the place so much that we indeed stayed another night: Nice, cosy room, clean facility, friendly staff. Add a complimentary breakfast and a really fast internet access as a bonus.

But what we liked best: The beach and Santa Cruz Wharf are within walking distance (app. 5 min), as is the downtown shopping and nightlife area. Perfect for any beach lover and anyone wanting to get a grip onto California surf lifestyle.

I have no idea why some of the reviews of this place are so negative - it does not connect to the experience we had just recently at all. Even the rate was very reasonable, considered that we checked in just before Independence Day holiday rush.

The only person I would perhaps not recommend this place to would perhaps be very old people who like to stay in a very quite, remote and ultra-exclusive resort - but what would that kind of folks looking for at Santa Cruz anyway?

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed June 11, 2008

We were stuck in this place for 3 days. Booked on Priceline and they would not cancel or would the hotel. We had prepaid, so there was no way to get out of the stay. We went to the area for a wedding. The local people could not believe that we actually stayed here. The room was clean, but so small you could not turn around. We put our suitcased on top of the TV. There were no drawers in which to place your things. The bathroom was very out of date, as were the towels . . . . so thin you could see through them. I certainly learned to NEVER book with Priceline for anything less than a 5* hotel and read the reviews of a hotel prior to booking anything. The owners were very friendly, why not? They knew we were stuck. Speaking of stuck. We were there over Memorial weekend. The place was sold out. There was so many cars jammed into the lot, if the fire department had to come it would have been deadly. There are many hotels in the area, I would NEVER recommend this one.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PhoenixBama
Reviewed April 25, 2008

We stayed here for 4 nights. My son is at UCSC, so the rest of the family all met in Santa Cruz for a little get together. We rented 2 rooms, both were just fine. It is a funky, beach town motel, not the Ritz. The motel manager and his wife were very welcoming and accommodating. I had read the earlier reviews and was a little leery. I didn't tell my family about the negative review I had read, and I'm glad I didn't. The motel was clean, comfortable and very convenient. To the motel staff, thank you for making our stay in Santa Cruz so easy.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I have probably stayed at every hotel/motel/cottage in Santa Cruz since I was five years old! (now 55) I booked this motel on orbitz for two rooms, and to be close to the beach....After reading the reviews here I was packed and preparred. My husband who did not come on trip thought I was freaking out for no reason. I went with three other people! They all asked why I brought so much and I told them I even brought extra incase anyone needed anything.! I had towells, sheets, pillows and pillow cases. I just have to comment that this motel is just like every other motel in Santa Cruz. Our rooms were clean, fresh smelling towels, and sheets. The breakfast in the morning was good, all pastries were wrapped in original wrappings and the coffee was great! People at the front desk were very nice and friendly. I cannot see how people who commented on this motel could indicate what they did. Did they bring back bugs from the beach themselves.?and that comment about the hair on the pillow, now that really got to me.....ellkkkk.....what??? Yes, the pipe's were wrapped (it does get cold it is a beach town) and yes the fan was loud in the bathroom.. but everything else was fine....Of course I had to lug everything back and face my husband who said did ya bring home any crabs? wise guy! lol For Santa Cruz and if you are not expecting the Westin or a four or five star hotel this hotel is fine. ...the rate was great too!!!

Stayed: February 2008