“What I expected”
Review of Bay Front Inn

Bay Front Inn
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The summer was going fast, and It was our last chance to be with the grand-kids before school started. The location of the motel was quite convenient to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, the City Wharf, and several eating establishments. We closed the Boardwalk two nights in a row, and on the last night the distance from the Boardwalk back to the Bay Front Inn seemed much longer for me and my seven year-old grandson than it had the night before. On our first walk to the Boardwalk we discovered a new attraction added by the Monterey Aquarium, providing a taste what one would find in Monterey. From ages five to seventy-five we all enjoyed it, a must stop. We stayed in the older section of the Inn, in the back. A perfect place for our teenage grandchildren to sit out and chat with there neighbors without disturbing others staying in the Inn. The rooms were a bit spartan, but clean. The only drawback would be that the vanity was in the bathroom. It's much nicer when traveling with others to have it outside the bathroom so two can get ready to travel at the same time. Both the housekeeping staff and office personnel could use some professional guidance; however, they were accommodating and friendly. When we first checked in we were assigned a room that was already occupied. This led to some billing issues, my daughter was charged for a room that should have been charged to my account. On Friday morning, the day we checked out, the desk person didn't show due to an emergency, and a replacement didn't show until almost 10 a.m. Breakfast was on the tables, the coffee appeared to be made, but the doors were locked. Several folks had to leave without getting their receipts, while others went out to find breakfast elsewhere. The clerk was swamped with many disgruntled, angry Guests (customers), and did his best to appease them. Some asked for, and received, a discount because breakfast wasn't served. The pool was a nice size, but wasn't cleaned until mid-afternoon while people were swimming in it, obviously pool cleaning is an early morning task when the debris has settled to the bottom. The side of the pool felt slippery, but this may be because the pool doesn't use chlorine, but some kind of salts, which makes floating on your back a snap for the little ones. All-in-all, management needs to step up their, and their employees skill levels. If the Inn's location wasn't so convenient to the Boardwalk, most likely the Inn would go out of business. However, I would stay there again because of the convenience and the reasonable cost of the stay.

Herb Good

Room Tip: If you like to kick back and chat in the evening, ask for a back room in the old secion, rooms 133...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
rzavar, Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Herb, thank for taking the time to write us a review. I do appreciate the honest feedback and am glad you and your family enjoyed our location, it's very close most local attractions. I, humbly, remember that friday - we did get off to a slow start. We are working towards improving our hotel and above all your overall experience with us; moreover, I do appreciate any suggestions you may have for us; please feel free to contact me

I hope you can give as a chance so that we may improve upon things for the future.

Humbly,
Rupesh Zavar - GM

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed here for the night during the week. The room was very clean... Hard wood floors and that is a HUGE plus cause it just felt cleaner. The room was nice and the bed was comfy. Staff was super attentive and helpful. Seemed like a small staff doing a lot of work but they were very pleasant. Good location with access to the boardwalk, pier and tons of food and bars. We'll be staying here again for sure. Only downside was they charge $15 for late checkout. Other than that it was all good.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Very limited and tight parking. Front desk girl was nice but not very professional looking. She had holes in her shirt. The room was decent with hardwood floors but came to be our demise as we were on the bottom floor listening to our neighbors above clomping around for what seemed to be hours. We couldn't understand what they were doing. The "updated" look didn't quite mask the details of the room such as the broken toilet paper holder and poor quality towels and such. But I guess you get what you pay for. I don't think I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pick a second story room or the rooms without a second level
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I am not sure which rooms other people stayed in that they gave it such good reviews but I had a very negative experience. Go to Yelp and read other reviews, they are very similar to mine. I stayed there the last week in July and I had to clean my own room that night because the maid service had already left for the day. There was hair on the floor of the bathroom and when I swept the room and the bathroom there was a huge pile of dirt (see picture). I mopped the floor of the bathroom with a mop and some spray the night clerk gave me and then used one of their hand towels to go over it. The towel still turned black (see picture). The walls are paper thin and there is no one to monitor how loud other guests are. I even complained to the manager the next day and brought him the filthy towel. He assured me that the noisy people next door were moving out and that they would give my room a deep cleaning. I was foolish and stayed the second night. I got back from the beach and could tell they had not swept. The new people next door were even noisier than the previous night. Cheap but so not worth it. Stay at the Ocean Pacific Lodge next door. It costs more but is newer and I'm sure has a better maid service and quieter rooms and is still within walking distance of the beach.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
rzavar, General Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Michele thank you for taking the time to review us - it helps us improve. I apologize for your stay, we clearly let you down; your overall experience is important. We are working diligently to improve our cleaning procedures. We are doing our best to reduce noise issues and we have enacted quiet hours. Nevertheless, Michele, I should have humbly offered suggestions to alternative hotels in the area at the moment of your dissatisfaction.

We hope in the near future, you can give us another chance when traveling to Santa Cruz

Rupesh Zavar

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was our first time staying at this hotel. It was very clean and the staff was friendly although she was alone and very busy at the time of check in, which made it last longer than I would have liked. The hotel was about a three block walk from the boardwalk, which was great. The room was clean and had new wood floors. The only draw back was the bathroom door creaked very loudly and made it very difficult to use the restroom with a sleeping two-year-old. Other than that, I have no complaints. Will definitely stay there again.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Great value for money hotel near the boardwalk, beach and downtown. We recently completed nearly 2 weeks at the Bay Front Inn and wouldn't hesitate to stay again. The renovations are great and we appreciated the super friendly, helpful and thoughtful staff. Sometimes it's a little noisy as the rooms open up onto each other into the carpark area and, yes, parking was sometimes an issue, although we always managed to find a spot over our stay. Would highly recommend Bay Front Inn!

Reviewed July 20, 2012

The Bay Front Inn is an older hotel that has been partially renovated. It allows dogs and is 2 blocks to the beach. My experience was mixed. Parking is inadequate, accommodations are lacking, and service is marginal.

I chose this hotel because it accepts pets and the online pictures showed a clean, newer facility. While checking in, I was asked if I had a pet. I wish I was asked this question when I made my reservation because they charged me $25 per day extra for my clean, house broken dog. Since I don't travel often with a dog, I'll let you decide if the extra fee is reasonable; I certainly feel that informing me of the fee during check in was deceptive.

The room I received had a bathroom that was renovated by a novice. There were 3/4" gaps between the shower tile and floor, as well as between the door frame and wall. Not a real big deal, but a potential entry way for pests and fire and it just looked bad. Also, the hot and cold water was reversed on the spigot. While the room had a hair dryer, it lacked an alarm clock and coffee maker. Parking availability was poor, those who parked late had to find a spot outside of the facility.

Service is marginal. The front desk person was cheerful and friendly but couldn't direct me to dog friendly restaurants. Housekeeping didn't have my room made up by 4:30 pm, so I had to leave again. The bed spread smelt faintly of urine. The continental breakfast didn't open until 8:00 AM and consisted of cereal, fruit, and muffin slices at a corner of the small lobby. Time your visit well, because guests will clean it out quickly like a swarm of locusts.

I appreciated that the hotel tries to keep noise down after 9:00 PM, allowed pets and is close to the beach. However, since Santa Cruz doesn't allow dogs on their beach or Boardwalk, I wasn't able to use them. I'm not certain if the price is good; I paid $150 per night plus $25 for my dog on a July week day. Next time, I'll find a nicer, cheaper place outside of town.

1  Thank lkstaack