“Decent enough - not fancy.”
Review of Bay Front Inn

Bay Front Inn
Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Portland, Oregon
“Decent enough - not fancy.”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stay at the BFI for business frequently because of its proximity and low cost. You can't beat the price for the proximity to the Santa Cruz wharf and downtown SC. However, be warned that the quality of clientele that stay here has gone downhill (likely as a result of the low prices). In addition, the rooms are comfortable, but not "plush" by any means: The newly renovated rooms are far more comfortable than those that have not been renovated, but even the newly renovated rooms have a "renovate as quick as possible" look to them. Many many shortcuts were taken in updating these rooms to give the appearance of a high quality renovation.

My compliments: Newly renovated rooms are sufficient for me for business travel.

My complaints: During my most recent stays, I've been woken up by late night domestic disputes and rowdy party-goers. I have also made the mistake of bring the family with me one time, to which they were deeply disappointed. We arrived back in the afternoon to find a dirty rag from the cleaning personnel sitting on our fresh laundry. Where had that rag been? sink? bathroom floor? toilet?? Calls to the manager were not returned during that trip.

Rupesh (the manager) has always been friendly to my face, but given the fact that I am a frequent customer, and that he couldn't return my calls to discuss my concerns leaves a sore spot in my mind for the BFI.

I will continue to stay here for business but be warned - you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: ask for the "deluxe" or "newly renovated" rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I booked here kind of last moment - it suited one of my main criteria - a big TV. I pulled in and thought "oh god, a motel". And it is more or less, standard rooms. no closet etc BUT - super clean, nice furniture. a faux hard wood floor rather than motel carpet and a comfortable clean bed with out those stain hiding bed spreads you usually see PLUS it is a 5 minute walk to the wharf/boardwalk as well as the main strip with all the food you could imagine. Will for sure stay there again. Oh and for those of you with kids - strick no noise policy after 9 PM !

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank phillocs
nimbin
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The staff were great, particularly the evening people. We had a nice stay and the kids loved the pool. The family room was really big and perfect for all six of us. The bathroom was not totally clean but the rest of it made up for that.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Paradise, California
Reviewed June 30, 2012

The rooms have been remodeled and are very homey.. Remna was really great at the front desk, and i love the fact its dog friendly... Parking is an issue, so if you find a spot stay put.. other than that everything was perfect.. and wish it was a little more reasonable on the weekends..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Staff was great.
Stayed there this week and got helped by this young lady Rena in the morning whom was above and beyond for her customer service. She greeted every guest with a catching smile and assisted us in all our needs.The rooms were clean and greatly remodeled. The location was great due to being right in the middle of town. The breakfast was tasty. We will becoming back.,

Room Tip: Book this hotel definitely.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caro M
Maynardville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2012

First the staff at the hotel did the best they could do under the circumstances but the owner of the hotel does not care if his paying guest are paying and extra $20.00 a day to park somewhere besides the hotel parking lot. If you decide to stay here make sure that the owner doesn't turn half of his parking lot over to the city so his friends can park their show cars in the parking lot. We were there during the "Woodies in the Warf", which was not why we were there but what we thought would be an added bonus. WRONG!!!! The owner who is the president of the local Woodie car club allowed about half the parking lot to be given to people who were not even paying to stay there, they just needed a place to park their car. If paying guest had to pay to park somewhere else they were terribly sorry but there was nothing they could do. When guest starting complaining about the parking and one of the staff moved the cones so paying guest could park they threatened to tow the vehicles of they were not moved. Would never stay at his hotel or the one behind it (same owner) and I would not advise anyone else to stay there either.

Room Tip: Stay Away!!!!!!!
Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
rzavar, Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
I humbly apologize for the inconvenience during your visit; we do have plenty of offsite parking when our lot-fills but clearly we did a poor job directing you. Regretfully, the hotel owner is not the president of the 'local Woodie car club'... Lori - I value your input, all of us here want to do more to improve upon our guest experiences. i'm going to commit at working harder to alleviate parking issues especially during those busy events.

Rupesh - General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Antioch,CA
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I would say the customer service is way above average. The rooms were nice and neat and very clean. The furnishings were average but that was fine with me. The staff were amazingly friendly and helpful. The rooms did not have coffee pots because of constant theft but I asked for one and it was delivered. We spent 3 nights and had a fabulous time in Santa Cruz. It is literally only a few blocks from the Boardwalk, Cliff Dr. and some of my favorite eateries downtown. Thanks to Bay Front Inn for an affordable stay in Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Ask for a bottom floor in the hallway. Very little noise even though it was close to the through str...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family