“Bargain”
Review of Bay Front Inn

Bay Front Inn
Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed June 18, 2012

OK. It's a motor court. No air conditioning, so if you open your windows you're going to hear noise ... and possibly get a wiff of cigarette smoke from the parking lot. You get what you pay for: a clean room within walking distance of the boardwalk. The price makes it worthwhile.

Room Tip: Free parking, unless you go out to a show and come back late. The lot fills up quickly. Then you hav...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Bay Front Inn

Reviewed June 17, 2012

The people at the Bay Front Inn did everything to make my stay enjoyable. The property and rooms are very nice and it's only steps to the Santa Cruz Wharf. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Some rooms have upgraded flat screen TVs; some don't. If that's important to you, pay atten...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2012

There will be no checking in early at this motel. The facilty is pretty decent, the room was huge, lots of space, the decor is pretty old, the dressers and night stand looked like they came from a garage sale. The room smelled like smoke even though its a non smoking facilty, but you can cleary see people walking around with cigarettes in theyre hands. My clothes smelled like smoke, the beds are soft which I like, I found a spider on my pillow. Overall, this motel is great for its location, but if youre expecting luxury, this is not the place.

Room Tip: Try not to take your car out at night, parking lot gets full and you'll be forced to park in the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jimmy C
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Even though this hotel is run of the mill accommodations, it is a bargain for the area! If your looking for a clean place at a great price with a pool(great with the kids) you've found it. We've been coming to Santa Cruz for years and though we stay at other places we frequented this place more because of the reasonable rates. And I decided to give it a "very good" because of that. It's location is a very short walk to the Boardwalk, beach and wharf. Also, the staff is always very helpful, and many if not all of the rooms have had minor to major renovations. You can tell that the staff and owner really care about this property. As for the bad reviews, well you get what you pay for, so if a little noise or a small shower or the bed does not suite you, go some where else! But for most of us "Go for it"! You won't be sorry while you visit one of the most fun towns in the world!! Have fun in Santa Cruz!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My wife and I booked and stayed 3 nights at the Bay Front Inn. The manager and staff was very attentive to our needs and very helpful; Sarena even recommended a great veg restaurant …Saturn Cafe i believe. The hotel is pet friendly, so we brought along our dog, Baxter. He appreciated the treats in the lobby. The room was roomy and relaxing room and had nice floors.Above all was the great location because we walked to the Santa Cruz Beach boardwalk daily and the heated pool was great to relax in the evening. I recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John S
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I booked this hotel as a surprise to take my mother away for a night on 6.9.12. Santa Cruz has view 3 star hotels and most require a 2 night minimum to stay in the summer time over the weekend. That being said, a motel is just fine and the reviews on this site and the picture didn't seem all that bad. So I figured why not? Well the place is a complete dive. The inside of the rooms looks disgusting. The curtains and bedding looked like it was from the 1980s. It was so dark in the room even with the curtains open. There was a musty odor. The rug had stains. The beds had crumbs around them. The TV furniture looked like it was picked up off the side of the road. The shower was a stall that you could barley move in. There were people drinking in the parking lot. I got the sense my car if not the motel room would be broken into over night. My mother felt so bad, that it was gross and was trying to put on a good face. However after going for a walk to the beach we both said we rather drive back to San Francisco then even sleep one night there. So we left. The manager would not refund the money or even give back 50%. For $187 you are safer taking that money and going somewhere else. Also, Santa Cruz its self is trashy along the boardwalk areas so save yourself a trip.

Also, the photos they post on this site of the bed room is not accurate, they make it look like a staged motel room with fancier bedding than is actually there.

Room Tip: Do not book anything here!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I came to visit Santa Cruz with my daughter, we checked in to the Inn (motel) and didn't check our room before heading straight to the boardwalk. We returned about 10:30 pm, after being completely surprised at the room we were given, it looked like a truck stop. The floors were really dirty, the wall around the doors had cracks as if the door had been kicked in before. Being that it was late we decided to just go to sleep and change to a hotel the next day, when we pulled the covers back off the bed we were surprised to find the sheets were not clean. They were not just soiled but they had a nice size wet spot on the bed. I tried to get assistance but NO staff were on site. I called the manager and he sent me through a vacant lot to the closed front office, did I mention it was raining? To get a card from under the mat to go to a different room. The card didn't work, I asked if he could come to assist us as there were some shifty looking people in the parking lot. Again surprised he said no, got really rude and offered no courtesy discount. It has been over a month and I have still not resolved my issues. I spoke with the owner (his father) and he is really not providing any assistance either. The owner promised a refund but wanted his son the manager to take care of it. But as of today, he says he doesn't know he has to ask his son. The only nice person there is the front desk lady, Shannon. She was very apologetic and assisted me with locating the owner. So if you want to have a ruined vacation and get ripped off Stay at the Bay Front Inn. I almost forgot, the pictures online are deceiving!

Room Tip: Don't stay at this place, the pictures do not reflect what the rooms really look like! Very nas...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family