“Caring Staff, Comfortable Room, Close to the Beach”
Review of Bay Front Inn

Bay Front Inn
Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed September 21, 2011

It's a motel in a college beach town, not a 4-star hotel, but you will be pleasantly suprised. The rooms are good size and comfortable and the bed was great. My room had a spa tub in it!, fridge, and a microwave. Very nice flat screen television. The staff is friendly and helpful and responded immediately to any requests. The grounds were clean, neatly kepy, and pretty with flowers blooming in boxes and along the front and a small clean pool area was relaxing. The Bay Front Inn is within walking distance of the beach, the pier, and downtown and they had free parking. I left my car in the parking lot and walked all weekend. It was 2-night stay for me and if I hadn't had plans already in place I would have been tempted to stay and explore more of the nearby attractions. I was a woman traveling solo and felt completely safe at the Bay Front Inn and didn't worry about my car. Additionally, internet access was available from the room and coffee and some basic muffins and such were available each morning in the lobby.

I was pleasantly surpised by the quality of the room and extremely pleased by the staff. I did have a minor problem with a bathroom switch not working and they did everything they could to make sure I was happy with a temporary solution. I have been in 4 star hotels in Vegas where they cared a whole lot less than this small, friendly motel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been renovated, others won't be done for a few months yet, so ask for one of the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Lizlizzie
There are newer reviews for Bay Front Inn

Reviewed September 13, 2011

Being from the UK we didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised - very helpful front desk staff, clean rooms with fresh bedding and towels every day, with maid service. Decor is not up-to-date but is not shabby - may be this one hasn't been refurbished. Beds were very comfortable. Easy access to the beach and a short walk to downtown. There was a small pool which was very clean, with sunloungers and chairs. A very pleasant time was had by all. Would recommend it as a beach holiday location.

Room Tip: we were on the back of the complex near a roundabout and another hotel, however, we were never distu...
1  Thank pleasantlysurprised2
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The friendliest and most helpful front desk staff we have encountered. This has led to repeat stays for our family.
This is a work in progress motel; reasonably priced. Some of the rooms have been refurbished,others not. Very much a two star reaching for a third.
It is located near the Beach and Boardwalk and easy to reach.

Room Tip: Request a refurbished room
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank seasoned68
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This is a motel. So, noise is normal. Rates are usually good but were high for Labor Day weekend, but that's down to location.

I've stayed here several times. Safe, park near the beach, walk to the boardwalk in the day, stagger back from the best bars in SC in a few minutes at night. Perfect!

Plus they've renovated (some) rooms, looks much better than a typical motel. Check in and park 3pm, ask for a renovated room, and go enjoy Santa Cruz 'til late. Enjoy!

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Fraser1893
rzavar, Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2011

Fraser - Thanks so much for those kind words. We love our location - too!! Plus, our new rooms are awesome. Our rates are very reasonable during weekdays and in the upcoming Fall. Please see us again soon, we look forward to seeing you again.

I would invite any guest considering us to ask for our new rooms, we do give upgrades when we can ;)

See you soon,
Rupesh Z - GM

Reviewed August 19, 2011

A great find just 3 minutes' walk from the centre of Santa Cruz. The bay front inn is a traditional motel that's been updated with bright fresh and fairly minimalist decor, comfortable beds and crisp white bedlinen. Big flatscreen tv's.
At $ 60-80 a night we thought it was amazing value for money and a brilliant alternative to other tired motel rooms within the same price range.
Complementary coffee, muffins and fresh fruit were available in reception in the morning, and an in-room folder suggests favourite local eateries, bars and sights to see. Reception staff were also very helpful offering more suggestions when we checked in. We didn't bring our dog, but next time we will they even had doggy treats in the lobby.

3  Thank lance g
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We came to Santa Cruz for a family mini vacation.. The outside appearance of the hotel was very clean and beautiful.. Some rooms have been remodeled, some haven't. Ours wasn't. I arrived in Santa Cruz at 1:40 p.m. tried to check in they said the room wasn't ready and said to come back at 3pm. so we went to the boardwalk walked around a bit. Went back at 3 and they told me it would be another hour so reluctantly I stayed in the parking lot with my family and waited. By the way the parking lot is tiny and even tho the sign on the pool fence says "Parking for ALL hotel guests" don't count on it being available. We had a suite and it held up to 6 people well my family had 4 and brother and his fiance came and they wouldn't allow them to park there even tho they were paying guests as well..1st strike. When we were finally able to check in we were greeted by this lame cocky punk at the front desk He was rude, and such a smart mouth.. and so on.. so paid my money and got into the room... Let's see I had a broken AC unit right outside my door that was just left there probably due to laziness.. fabulous right?! then the room just ok.. my tv broke 4 hours into the evening and couldn't do anything about it, dirty towels, and the fridge froze all the stuff I put into it.. All in all thank God I only had to stay one night because I sure as hell couldn't handle 2.. Totally recommend going ANYWHERE else.. even the hotels that have prostitutes there because it would at least be worth your money! I think the family that owns it definitely needs to rethink their service and employees, and maybe sell the place and go somewhere where you might succeed!! Cause you SUCK!

3  Thank Jackie0385
rzavar, General Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Jackie, thank you for writing us a review. Admittedly, when we are busy our free-parking does become limited, so we can only allow one vehicle per room to park. Nevertheless, I apologize for our parking and ask if you give us another opportunity so that next time i may personally reserve you parking, near us, for your family. We do try to create positive experiences but can sometimes fall short of expectations, however your feedback does help us get better, thanks again for your review

Rupesh Zavar

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I booked the reservation for my boyfriend and I to visit an old friend of his, and see where he lived at the height o his rock and roll days. He recommended the Pacific Coast Lodge but I couldn't get us in there so went with the place next door. For over $200 including tax, this place is disgusting. The room was a basic motel room from $30 a night days. It was clean so we felt OK about sleeping there but the bed was over stiff and saggy at the same time.

the next morning, my boyfriend opened the shower door and the hardware fell off in his hand, almost ripping his skin. then to make matters worse, there was no hot water for our morning showers.

NO NOT BOOK HERE