“Totally Incompetent”

Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Redondo Beach
“Totally Incompetent”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I made a reservation for my wife to stay at the Bay Front Inn for two days. I asked for a confirmation email-three times. And when my wide went to check in, SURPRISE! There was no reservation. Total Incompetence. I called three times to confirm the reservation. I asked for a confirming email three times. NO Reservation. Well, guess what-they'll never get a second chance from me. or any of my friends.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Reviewjunkie70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Can you say amateur hour? My boyfriend and i stayed here for a last minute getaway for two days. This hotel had horrible service. Our room was not refreshed with towels or new amenities. When calling front desk after returning from being gone all afternoon the lady was very rude when i asked if there was a maid service. They promised to offer a better offer then a third party company, then at check-in claimed to not have authorization to do so.  Front desk staff has a horrible attitude. The rooms were bare bones. Aside from the new flat screen the room falls very short of expectations. Walls are paper thin... With a pet friendly hotel one can imagine falling asleep to yapping dogs. Never coming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Gilmodan
danthemanTheBay, General Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Thank your for your comments, i was trully distressed to hear of the issues you encountered, which by no means experience we provide, Please accept our proffuse appologices. We are in the process of updating our guest services guide to reflect our current polices. We feel we provide good value and prompt service to our guests, but it seems we fell short in your case. I sincerely apologize,

Rupesh Zavar
GM

Travelers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Hercules, California
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Check-in: Although the guest services directory say “Check-In Time 2:00 PM”, they didn’t let us in until 3 PM. We arrived 2pm, but the guy at the front desk told us that check-in time is 3pm come back later unfriendly…. So we killed the time for an hour, and came back 3pm. He gave us the room keys, so we parked the car in the front of the room, and carried our suitcases in the room. The room wasn’t clean, the garbage cans were all full, the beds were mess, pillows were on the floor. We told the front desk and he gave us the different room.

Room: We got the room #124. After unpacking the suitcases, I took my shoes off to relax. Then I felt wet on the floor, we checked where the water from, and found that water is coming from the wall behind of the bathroom sink. We told this issue to the front desk, and the same guy came back and check. He said, water leak is just little, and put the sheets on the floor, and said “thanks for letting me know” but didn’t give us the different room. We already unpacked the suitcases and we already moved the room once, so we didn’t want to move again. So we just decided to stay the wet room since we are staying only one night. But I didn’t feel good at all to stepping on the sheet.

Breakfast: Although the guest services directory say “Continental Breakfast from 7:30 to 10:30 AM”, they don’t start preparing until 8am. They open the door at 8am but they are not ready yet. I really needed to have a cup of coffee because THE GUEST ROOM DOESN’T HAVE A COFFEE MAKER. I never seen any hotel that doesn’t offer the coffee maker in the guest room.

Pets: Although the guest services directory say “$15 per pet” they charged us $25 on the credit card.

Office: Although the guest services directory say “from 7:30 AM to 10:30 AM”, they don’t open the door until 8 AM.

Only good thing I can give two circles is the location. You can walk to the beach.

Room Tip: stay away from room #124, water leak from the wall
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank your for your comments, i was truly distressed to hear the issues you encountered, which by no means experience we provide, Please accept our profuse apologizes. We are in the process of updating our guest services guide to reflect our current polices. We feel we provide

Rupesh Zavar
GM
Sunshine Coast, Canada
Reviewed May 26, 2011

For around $70, taxes in, this was a true peach. Nice restaraunt/bar right at the peir, 2 blocks away. Boardwalk 2 1/2 blocks, great. Only stayed one night, had to get moving. One complaint is noise. You can heat your neighbour's every move. If the owner reads this, the noise can be easily fixed. You are doing a good job reburbiahing the units, maybe think about noise levels.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Reggie44
Vic
Reviewed May 11, 2011

As i was checking in to this hotel I heard the guy at front reception say to other guests "you are staying in one of our new suites. If you like it, could you please leave a review on Tripadvisor".
I have no misconceptions as to why he didn't ask me to write a review.

Admittedly, we booked at the last minute, it was the only place we could get into and apparently it was Spring Break time - take heed people, plan ahead during Spring Break time and book in early, so that you don't get caught out like us!

At first when i walked into the room, i thought it was quaint and quirky. The lampshade was crooked, the pictures on the wall were really crooked, and the curtains were half pulled off the rod and hanging crooked. I guess that impression kind of sums up the whole place.

When we got back to our room after dinner, we heard screaming and banging on the door next to our room, at 11pm at night, it was actually quite scary. We laid there awake and listened to people fighting in the corridor outside our room. The banging on the door and screaming happened again at 3am and 7am. Needless to say we didn't get much sleep. The only conclusion that we could come up with from the noise and fighting was that a pimp and his girl were in the room next to us, and whenever she came back to the room, she had to bang on the door loudly to wake him up to get him to let her in.

Yep, it was that kinda classy place...

Room Tip: Ask for a new suite
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jetsta
Reviewed May 10, 2011

The staff is friendly! The room was VERY clean,modern. Huge flat screen t.v w/ HBO! Location is great. The ocean is right around the corner. I LOVE that they allow pets here. It was hard to find a nice hotel that allowed pets,especially for a reasonable price !! I will definantly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank floracupcake
Brentwood, California
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Ok, let me start with a small issue I had. Water got extremely hot for a couple seconds a couple times while showering. Other than that I was very happy with the room. Was very clean and I have never saw wood floors in a hotel room before, thats a nice touch. The desk person was very informative and helpful. Great location a couple blocks from wharf and boardwalk. It was very affordable especially for the location. All in all I will make the Bay Front Inn my first choice the next time I visit Santa Cruz.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo