“Nice location & value for the price”
Review of Carousel Beach Inn

Carousel Beach Inn
Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We weren't sure of staying this close to the boardwalk; I had heard that it could be very noisy. They had a great Boardwalk package deal that made it easy to give it a try.
I found the rooms to be of decent size, clean, well stocked with towels & the usual motel amenities. It appears the motel has had renovations in the last year or two, which gave it a nice feel. The front desk staff were friendly & professional.
There would only be a couple things I could say weren't great: the electrical sockets are old & loose, which meant things plugged in didn't always stay on, sometimes we had to "jiggle" the plug a bit to get things going, but it wasn't a huge inconvenience. The second thing would be the amount of people who do not know how to use a quiet voice when they are in the hallways outside the other rooms. Between squeeling toddlers & loud adults, we got an earful, sometimes early in the morning (6:00 a.m.!). The last thing was the amount of people smoking on their balconies - YUCK! Without air conditioners, and especially this time of year, we wanted to have our sliding glass door open to enjoy the fresh air. However, with smokers on the balconies around us, the air was anything but fresh, leaving us the choice of breathing the 2nd hand smoke in our room, or being closed up in a stuffy room. We chose the stuffy room.
Being right across the street from the Boardwalk was a HUGE plus, and one we really enjoyed. The noise wasn't a problem this late in the year, since the Boardwalk closed at 7:00 p.m.
The parking spots are a bit tight as stated in other reviews (we have a Toyota Sienna), but being so close to everything, we only took our car out once. Again, that closeness to the boardwalk saved us!
If we were going for a "Boardwalk" weekend, and I got the same deal, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank ItsMommaG
There are newer reviews for Carousel Beach Inn

Reviewed October 24, 2010

Perfect spot to stay for the money and right across the street form the Boardwalk. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kadfun
Reviewed August 9, 2010

This was our third stay at this little motel and I must say we will stay again on our next trip to Santa Cruz. Although it isn't the most luxurious place I've stayed, it is clean and just steps away from the boardwalk. The staff are very friendly people and always helpful. It was truly a pleasure to stay at the Carousel Motel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I've stayed at this motel 4 times. The rooms are OK but the location is great. I've taken my grandson and it's so nice to walk across the street from the Boardwalk so he (and grandma) could take a nap and rest. Even though Santa Cruz can be a bit seedy I've always felt safe here. The room are clean and I've always had a room with a balcony. I like the fact it is so close to the Boardwalk since I don't feel safe walking at night in this city. Good value for the money.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank jopav
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed for just one night and really thought this little motel was a great choice.

It was extremely well located for the boardwalk and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful (evening brining extra pillows up to the room when we called).

The breakfast was nice a simple (muffins, bagels, fruit) but was all really fresh.

There is no aircon, but we didn't need it anyway as it was wasn't hot - that could maybe be an issue in the middle of Summer though.

The room was spacious and whilst not maybe the most luxurious, it was adequate and we all slept wonderfully! For $89 a night (which included parking and breakfast) we thought this was great value for money given its perfect location.

Maybe the outside doesn't look that appealing, but this motel really does serve a fantastic purpose when luxury isn't your number 1 priority.

We'd recommend this motel to anyone, and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank BeverleyT
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Excellent value for the price. Right by boardwalk. There is a little market next door that is ghetto but has what you need, even alcohol. We walked a lot during day and in evening and felt very safe except for the homeless crowd that frequents the boardwalk. The pier was a great place to eat dinner. We went to Stagnaro's, old family run business. Had fish and chips, yum. My daughter and I shared a plate. They give you plenty of food. The hotel staff friendly at the Carousel was frienly. We arrived at 2pm, best time to check in. We asked for a top floor, room 604, I think. Balconies each room. Quiet at night, slept great, comfortable beds. Very clean. Decor charming. Refrigerator and microwave in room. Breakfast was bagels, hot coffee, cantaloupe and toast. Delicious. Great value for the area and being by the boardwalk. Also, free high speed internet!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank BenThereTraveling
Reviewed February 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for a romantic getaway from our four kids on Valentines day 2009 ... It was Great !! I love this motel .. not only are you just across the street LITERALLY .. from the boardwalk .. there is a bar, bowling alley, resturants, laundromat and convience store within walking distance. The staff was great upon check in and our whole stay .. The room was really clean (and I am very picky) the shower had great water pressure ... !! The front desk clerk Antonette was super great ... told us some great local spots to eat, gave directions and tips even phone numbers for delivery pizza places. I also was able to get the package deal which is a super deal ! It came with 2 summer passes .. (normally $69 each) 2 day passes for friends to the boardwalk (normally $40 each) 2 games of bowling ( normally $14) and miniature golf ( normally $14) Then we got a bonus at the boardwalk with the 2 season passes .. they gave us 2 more all day guest passes for the boardwalk ( normally $40 each ) .plus 2 coupon books for lots of buy 1 get 1 free food on boardwalk (normally would of been $328 worth of stuff .. WOW .. and 2 NIGHTS Fri & Sat .. all for $292 total out the door .( this is the winter price but only goes up $100 in summer).. SO you do the math ... great room ... great deal .. great time .. The breakfast was coffee .. tea ... hot cocoa ... and home baked muffins some fresh cut fruit .. Was not impressed but who cares .... I saved so much by staying here that I ATE out for breakfast but the coffee was good and strong !! :) as for the people hangin around .. all I seen was lots of boardwalk employees coming and going becase the motel is across street from parking lot for employees ..but you see security 24/7 across street felt safe whole time .. was quiet .. . there are pictures of the view from our room (rm 309) on my myspace feel free to check it out :) I will NEVER stay anywhere else in Santa Cruz ... it was to good !! NOT one complaint sorry ....

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple