“Nice little motel”

Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Iowa
“Nice little motel”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Stayed here on our visit to Santa Cruz. Rooms are neat and clean. Staff is very friendly and helpful! Bright and cheerful. Just1/2 block from the boardwalk. The boardwalk is very disappointing. Bypass the boardwalk and head to the pier. We watched whales! The coffee in this motel is as good as Starbucks!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side on the third floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Last time I stayed at this motel was in 2006. It has been completely updated. The rooms were remodeled with bright beach colors, tasteful artwork and very comfortable beds. Everything is clean and well maintained. We had a minor problem with our air conditioner and stopped by the front desk to report it. By the time we came back from the Boardwalk, it was fine. The staff was friendly and professional. The location is right across the street from the Boardwalk rides but you can not hear any of the noise once you close your room door. We stayed in room 103 and enjoyed a quaint courtyard right outside our room. Parking is included in the room price which is a huge plus if you've ever been to Santa Cruz. I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the first floor but my husband could hear the running of tiny feet first thin...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Settles1961
Sacramento
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I was stunned at how close we were to the BW! The staff was so accommodating. They allowed us park our car at 10am and then had our room ready (204) at 2pm. It faced the BW with a wonderful balcony, which was perfect for watching the action. It doesn't get any better than having some wonderful Mexican takeout and cold beer on a balcony overlooking the ocean, listening to the screams and laughter of kids and kids at heart.

The room was very simple, but very clean. The staff keeps a watchful eye of the property with many cameras. Key activated gates keep the outdoor corridor rooms very secure. A small but well thought out mini-breakfast consisting of muffins, bagels, fresh fruit, coffee, teas hot cocoas is provided. All staff members were extremely kind and polite. The location alone is perfect, but when you add the attentive service and cleanliness, I would not stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Boardwalk are perfect! Although nothing fancy, they felt cozy, but bright. You also...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Vickie N
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This inexpensive, no frills motel was clean and well-equipped. The staff were very friendly and there was ample parking on site. It is one of the best motels that we stayed in on our road trip from SF to LA. The real beauty is its convenience for the boardwalk which is one of the highlights of any road trip on the PCH. The complimentary continental breakfast was a good start to our day. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone passing by.

Room Tip: We stayed in 201 which gave us a boardwalk view but there are better rooms at the front.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Hannah C
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Upon arriving to SC we were a little worried. I knew this hotel was not high on the Tripadvisor list, however it was the closest to the boardwalk that offered free parking, early morning muffins and coffee at an okay price. The room were very, very clean. That is a huge plus as our family needs clean rooms it is one our biggest concerns going into a nights sleep. We spent two nights at this hotel and found some of the following. Our room was on the ground floor and I found it to be great, it was quiet and we were able to walk out of our room through the security fence and straight onto the sidewalk. The bottom rooms have walls and do not allow for much of a sight line, however nobody can see you. Nobody in the parking lots or the street levels can see you hanging out on the deck. That was a nice surprise. Plus the wall helped keep some of the noise from the BW out of the room. The room was quiet of the outside noises which made sleeping easy each night. Parking is tight so be expecting that if you decide to drive a SUV to the hotel parking. The front desk staff is a little concerning at times. I found the front desk staff to be the biggest issue if "Anthony" came to this hotel he would go nuts over the lack of knowledge, friendliness or hospitality the front desk provides. We might stay at this hotel on our next visit to SC, however I think we will be looking for more a welcoming front desk staff. BTW the rooms are a little on the tight side. Putting a family in a king room might be a challenge.
Clean Rooms, Great Location, Free Small Breakfast.
Safe Travels
*When brushing your teeth please turn the water off.**

Room Tip: Go for a room in the 100's or a room that faces the street. Rooms facing the parking lot do not...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank airblue1
Oakland, California
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Some friends and I made our annual trek down to Santa Cruz for Friday Night Bands on the Beach and to ride rides on the Boardwalk....one of our group made reservations at this motel, and it truly can not be MORE convenient! Six of us shared two queen rooms the first night, and my boyfriend and I relocated to a King View Room the second night. All in all, a nice, uneventful stay. The rooms were cute, all the employees we dealt with (on a limited basis) were very friendly, and the parking was included - definite bonus. the "Continental Breakfast" I think consisted of just so-so bagels and muffins and coffee, which they yank precisely at 10am (which is unfortunate for me as I'm not an early riser or eater. My BF had to run down there at 9:50 to grab us bagels and coffee before they were gone!).

The biggest downside (which coincides with its upside) of this place is the price - at least in the summer. $230 the first night, $260 (with tax) the second night. For a no-frills place, it really is $$$$, but seems to be in line with most of the other motels in the area. For that price though, I'd really like a pool :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank glam72
Biggs
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

The location can't be beat! It was great for our family. We have teens that could walk over to boardwalk without us. The rooms have been updated they are bright & great art work. We arrived early. I called & asked for a room facing the boardwalk & was accommodated. Our room wasn't ready but we checked in & parked then went to the boardwalk. We were facing the boardwalk & with the sliding glass door open it's rather noisy but amazingly once you shut door it blocks out all but the loudest noises. I would say my biggest issue is the bathrooms have not been updated & there's only a small mirror outside of the bathroom. I read several reviews so I knew what we were getting but still would be nice if bathrooms were updated. We were gone from our room for several hours came back & our room had not been clean. Housekeeping was in room next door she offered to clean it we declined & she gave us towels & emptied our trash. All employees we had interaction with were pleasant, efficient & accommodating. I would say for location it's worth it & worked for our visit. If I was going to Santa Cruz & plan on spending the majority of my time on boardwalk, wharf & beach this is the place to stay. Just realize this is not a hotel.

Stayed June 2014