“Nice outside seating”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Chocolate

Chocolate
Reserve with OpenTable
Chocolate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 21 Dessert in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cooper Street
Transit: Metro bus station with links to San Jose, three blocks away.
bloomington, IL
“Nice outside seating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

We were shopping in the area and decided on Chocolate due to reviews we had read. We chose to sit outside for lunch. Was a wonderful place to enjoy lunch in a busy area tucked in behind potted schefflera plants for a neat, private garden feel. This restaurant has a Venezualian feel and food choice. We had the chicken pot pie with a salad and the chicken sandwich with smoked bacon. They were quite different, but not our taste, and not the best we have ever had. Our waiter was very attentive.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank travelgarden

Mountain View, California, United States
“Chocolate: A Santa Cruz restaurant of the gods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

On January 3- the dawn of 2014, my daughters and I went to Santa Cruz to spend see the town before the end of our holiday break.

We parked across the street from the Santa Cruz Mission and toured that great attraction. Then I asked the very knowledgeable guide behind the desk at the mission where would be a great place to have lunch. He told a great story about the history of the mission so I decided to ask his help on a good restaurant. he said what kind of food are you looking for? I said we were looking for café style food and hot tea.

He recommended Chocolate. This restaurant is right next to the Santa Cruz Bookstore. We left our car there at the Mission and hiked the few blocks down to the restaurant.

That was a good strategy because it's hard to park around the downtown Santa Cruz area. There are meters and paid lots but parking near the mission was free.

Once we got to Chocolate we saw what he was talking about. This amazing bookstore is adjacent the restaurant. We strolled through that then headed to Chocolate. The restaurant doesn't have the literary atmosphere of the bookstore; it has it's own distinctive feel. The place is whimsical and romantic. The European and Latin American murals and art are amazing. That was great because chocolate does come from MesoAmerica/South America.

Once seated our waiter poured us refreshing water from a bottle that looked like a fish. Then set it on our table. I joked with my daughters about that throughout the meal. I said to my young dining companions age 11 and 7, when they wanted a refill, Can I serve you more from this fish? They loved it.

They also noticed another table across from us who had a water bottle that looked like the Eiffel Tower. They said they go the Eiffel Tower bottle because they are couple on a date. That was great observation on their part.

The food and service were outstanding. My oldest daughter and I had mint tea and my youngest had hot chocolate. They have at least a half dozen varieties of hot chocolate on the menu alone.
The chicken soup and salad were awesome. My oldest daughter each had that. She needed it especially because she was feeling a little sick. So between the tea and the soup and salad, she was getting the rosy cheeks again. So I figured it was good.

My youngest daughter ordered a pasta (shaped in rosettes) with cream sauce. Next time I will try the desert and especially chocolate desert.

We dined indoors but there were couples on dates outside enjoying the Santa Cruz weather. I had never heard of this place before until the guy at the mission told me about it. It was well worth it. I want to take others there and can imagine this restaurant being a great experience on Valentines Day.

A can't recommend this place enough.

• Visited January 2014
Santa Cruz, California
“Great depending on what you order”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

The Chocolate is fabulous and I am not a sweets fan. Other menu items vary. Soup and sandwiches, not so good. Love their pesto, garlic, cheese, and especially the gorgonzola sherry pots but would like to see a better quality bread for dipping. Sometimes it seems a bit stale. There quiches can be good when not microwaved.

Visited October 2013
charlottesville
“Delicious seasonal offering”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

During a recent stay in santa cruz, i had dinner at Chocolate and was very pleased with the food, atmosphere, and service. We didn't have reservations and they promptly sat us on the patio on a friday night.

We had a rich artichoke dip as an appetizer. The dip was $9 and the portion was HUGE. It would be nice if they offered a half portion for $5 because it was simply too much for two people. For my main entree, i had a half order of butternut squash rosettes with a baby-greens salad ($14). The sauce was a rich and the entree was delicious. I had planned to order some tiramisu but was (regrettably) too full.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank oriahlee
Northern California
“Rave Reviews from High School Girls and Parents”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

One might think that it would be difficult to satisfy a group of teenage girls as well as their parents, but David Jackman's Chocolate Santa Cruz pulled it off with ease. Returning to the Peninsula from golfing in Carmel, there were a lot of hungry folks that descended on Chocolate last Friday evening. We were offered a special party menu in advance and were able to reserve the restaurant's party room for our 8 teens and 12 parents. The parents sat at two large tables and the girls had their own, where they could have some privacy.

A delicious vegetarian antipasto platter was served at each table. The main entrees offered were chicken mole and swordfish. All loved their choices. The only complaint was that there was not much room for dessert. The reasonably priced wines were wonderful and there was a nice selection from which to choose. One parent had some special dietary needs and David was able to accomodate her. Our waitress, Victoria, was so professional and couldn't do enough to make our dinner memorable.

Then, of course, came the wonderful desserts. If you love chocolate, you can't go wrong here.
I can't wait for winter, when I can enjoy their awesome hot chocolate. Take some truffles home with you!

• Visited October 2013