“Great food, lovely ambience”
Review of El Palomar

El Palomar
Ranked #35 of 374 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Soquel Avenue
Description: Since El Palomar’s opening in 1983, we have been serving Santa Cruz unique and fresh Mexican cuisine inspired by authentic family recipes. Our commitment to excellence has continuously earned us the “Best Mexican Restaurant in Santa Cruz” award.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had lunch here with my son and a few friends. The snapper fillet was excellent, perfectly cooked and delightfully seasoned. My son had a Palomar Special Burrito and was barely able to finish it (he's 17, so that's saying something). It was fun to sit in El Palomar and remember hanging with friends decades ago, listening to them playing mariachi music, and I'm happy that they're still open and still serving great food. The courtyard was so bright and warm, it chased away the deep-rooted Pacific Northwest chill that I've been carrying for months (I'm from the Seattle area).

There are newer reviews for El Palomar

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Loud, noisy, fun.consistently good food and margaritas!
Always a good choice for Mexican food...just make sure you make a reservation!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

El Palomar has been a years-long favorite of mine. Food and service are always tops, ambience and location unbeatable. The only "knock" I've had on the place is the wait for a table at dinner, hence I've usually just gone there for lunch. I'm removing that small quibble entirely, though, because reservations are now available there on OpenTable.com. We have used this service several times recently for dinner reservations there, and they are spot-on, seating us immediately at the time of our reservation. Great for a pre-movie or pre-Santa Cruz Warriors basketball game option, or just for a fun dinner out in Santa Cruz. Prices quite reasonable, too.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We went here on a chilly December evening to get tacos at the bar. Everything we ordered from margaritas to tacos & rice were delicious. The super salty chips & guacamole were kind of addictive too.The place is pretty cool looking. I can recommend the bar area, but the dining room looks pretty nice for a sit down in a big booth kind of meal.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I have been to El Palomar many times ove rthe years -- maybe more than 30? Our latest favorite is to have a couple of custom margarita's while spliting a bowl their delicious Chili Colorado. El Palomar is a great place for lunch in downtown Santa Cruz.

Johan E, Manager at El Palomar, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Rocheville, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We're always happy to see you and your wife, and glad to hear you're both big fans of our Chile Colorado! Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Johann, Manager