“definately recommend”

Beach Street Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed October 11, 2009

Good motel with pool, close to beach and not too far away from main street. staff very helpful and reasonably priced!

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
terracecourt, Manager at Beach Street Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Thank you for your response. We here at the Terrace Court Motel hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed September 20, 2009

Needing a few days away I chose to stay at the Terrace Court Motel. I'd stayed here years and years ago and thought I'd give it another try. You can't beat the location! Directly across from the beach and within footsteps of the Wharf. Since it was post-Labor Day when I called for my reservation I asked if they were still charging summer rates and I was told that mid-week reservations were going at the winter rate. Definitely a better deal, so I chose a 1st Terrace room for $198/nite.

Pluses: Full kitchen with everything you need from full size 'fridge to dishes to microwave. Nice. Large bedroom area with desk area for computer use. Free wi-fi that was mostly available (but I wish they'd put a card in the room with the access code. Had to call to get it.). Bed was comfortable enough, but man those pillows SUCK! Luckily I remembered to bring one from home. Clear, unobstructed view of the beach and bay. Wonderful to listen to the seals and surf. Nice flatscreen tv with large selection of channels. Room appeared to have been recently updated.

Minuses: Those pillows! Why can't hotels provide decent pillows?? Despite upgrades, there's little air circulation. A ceiling fan would have been a great addition. The deck area was nice, but not private. I felt obligated to socialize with my neighbors, and I just wanted some alone time. It says it's a Non-Smoking hotel, but both neighbors would sit out on the deck and smoke. This should not be allowed! I could smell the smoke in my room and it was impossible to enjoy the deck when they were out there smoking. No Smoking means NO SMOKING! They need a designated smoking area if that's what people are going to do! ICK! There were a few occasions when I needed to call the front desk and more often than not the call went to VM because no one was in the office. Very inconvenient to have to hike those stairs just to ask a question. Also, I didn't understand why if only 3 rooms were occupied on the 1st Terrace, why we were all crammed together three in a row. I likely would have enjoyed my stay more if I'd had more personal space, ya know?

For the most part it was a nice place to stay, but I think more based on location than actual amenities. The smoking really put me off more than anything.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
terracecourt, Manager at Beach Street Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2010

We here at the Terrace Court Motel wish that your stay would have been a better experience. Thank you for your review. We the management will be making improvements on the issues listed above, such as having a smoking area away from all rooms, making sure our pillows are more comfortable, and also having fans to check out at the front desk. We also take pride in trying to take quality care of our guests sometimes leaving some of our guests to have to leave a voicemail, we are confident that our staff will get to you at a timely manner if you do so. We hope you do stay with the Terrace Court Motel again on you next visit to Santa Cruz.

Reviewed August 28, 2009

just stayed in the terrace court motel really enjoyed it. Pool area is lovely. Beach is just across the road. Had room with sea viewand very reasonable rates. would recommend for couples families and surfers or anyone who likes to chillax.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay! Come back soon.

Reviewed June 8, 2009

After much research on Santa Cruz lodging, we actually opted for a more budget motel, 2 blocks inland from the boardwalk. We checked in to our other place, and immediately left to recon what else was available. I originally didn't entertain the Terrace Court, because I felt it was too expensive. When my husband saw the location and vacancy sign, we went up to check it out...yes, it's a good walk UP, because of the great view, and the staff let us check out a unit they had available, held it for us for an hour to make sure we could check out of our other motel and get a refund, and then even let us negotiate a better rate for us since they were slow and we were going to stay 2 nights. We stayed in Room 2, on the Third Terrace. It is a Family Unit, with separate King Bedroom, kitchen, and living area with 2 roll out beds included in one of the closets. Can I just say, LOCATION, CLEANLINESS, and RELAXATION. Yes, the unit we stayed in was dated, probably back to the 60's or 70's, but who cares about that when you are at the beach, looking out at the water, with a nice little lawn area, lawn chairs, very clean and spacious amenities, and nice little acoutrements such as a desk, refrigerator, porch light, closet space, dressers, pots/pans/plates, and everything you need right in walking distance. Although some of the fixtures were a little loose, or had some slight rust as comes with age in the ocean air, this was a non issue, as the room was great and made for a true beach feel. Everything was truly clean, although I did eventually find just the slightest bit of dust on the blinds. Even the full size refreigerator, stove, and microwave were spotless. The unit was full of windows and light, and we were able to go to sleep and wake up to the wonderful loud sound of the waves pounding the shore. We totally could have stayed there for a week and been comfortable. The parking spaces were large enough for our Dodge Durango, the staff helpful and friendly, the pool lovely and heated to 85 degrees, and the lawn area wonderful for hanging out in between adventures, and in the morning upon waking up. The only drawback was the price, which I just consider a lot at $275 including tax per night during summer, but you are paying for space and location, and like I stated previously, we were able to negotiate this price down due to staying more than one night, and the place not being full. We walked by most of the places we saw reviewed on Trip Advisor, and hands down we will pick the Terrace Court for our next trip to Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank trahaha
terracecourt, Manager at Beach Street Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2010

Wow! We here at the Terrace Court Motel would like to thank you for your detailed review. We are also glad that you enjoyed you stay and hope you do come back soon.

Reviewed May 17, 2009

I recently stayed at this motel that seems to be mostly on the up and up. The rooms were clean, the staff were friendly, and the location was a big plus. The only dissapointing expieience was when I rang the bell at the front lobby and was greeted by the assistant manager who appeared to be under the influence of alcohol, his speech was slurred and an alcohol odor emitted from his breathe. I don't care what people do on their own time but I was led to believe this was a family oriented motel and this was a bit offsetting. Other than that, my stay was pleasant and would recommend this motel to friends and relatives.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sparks_chevy1964

Thank you for your response. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, but are disappointed that you experienced what you did. The Assistant Manager you speak of no longer works here, (for obvious reasons), and hasn’t since then. We hope you do visit us again soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2009

My parents and I stayed at the Terrace Court while visiting a friend for a recital. The price, while higher than the average Santa Cruz rate, was less expensive than the surrounding beach and ocean view Hotels/Motels.
The front desk staff was attentive and helpful. There were some difficulties with the wireless internet, but the front desk not only had someone out to fix it the same day, but let us use their office connection in the interim.
Though the room we stayed in was one of the older ones, it was spotless, which was a testament to the thoroughness of the housekeeping staff. We were lucky enough to snag one of the rooms on their 3rd terrace which has both an ocean view and a grassy area to sit out and enjoy the weather on.
Parking is tight with only 1 space per room, which wasn't a problem for us, but some of the other guests were complaining about it.
The large outdoor heated pool was a major plus. It's too bad it's only open during office hours.
All in all, a great time was had and we will definitely be going back on our next visit to Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank Folsom_Kid

Glad you enjoyed your stay. We apologize for the issues regarding the wireless internet; we here at the Terrace Court Motel have now fixed most of the kinks allowing for better wifi access. Hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2009

It is with great saddness that we will not be coming back to the Terrace Court Motel. We have been coming there since 1956 and all our family would come and enjoy a wonderful weekend. We had always reservered the same weekend for years in advance. Familys would come from So and Northern Calif and it has been great to see the many generation grow-up and have children of their own. New people in the office gave our rooms to others and now the rooms we have are $379 a night and the rooms around the pool are all ready taken. We are very disappoint in the establishment and that they are not honoring last years prices. Had they told us of the increase we could have made other arrangements. I really don't think anyone will pay the high prices for the front baloney more than once when they realize they have to listen to karoke all day and into the night on Sat.
Good luck owners and may your greed and lack of committment serve you well.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank wise12345

We here at the Terrace Court Motel are sorry to see you go. We understand there were some issues with your last stay, but are now under new ownership. We hope you do stay with us so that we can redeem ourselves.