“Great location and views.”

Beach Street Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stopped by for one night on our way to LA from San Francisco and it was great. We could walk to the pier for dinner and walk to the fairground on the beach. The staff were very accomodating and just lovely. The amenities were very clean and the room/bathroom was generous in size.

Room Tip: Beach view was awesome!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Beach Street Inn and Suites

Reviewed April 18, 2013

It's all about location, and this place has it. Right across the street from the beach! There are three levels, and I recommend the 2nd level. First level is right above the street so it may be a little noisy, and the third level is next to the parking lot which may also get noisy. There are rooms off the beach, around the pool, but if you want a beach view you can have one. The rooms are really nice, very clean, great "beachy" decor and HUGE bathroom's. The staff couldn't be nicer, kudo's to Cathy and Sean. This was such a lovely place and we will be back!

Room Tip: Room 210 has the best view, at the far corner of the shared balcony.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rochelle78
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is friendly and well run. The location couldn't be better - right next to the beach and walking distance from everywhere you need to go. The rooms are immaculate and the bathroom we had was fantastic with a huge walk in shower. I think this hotel must have recently undergone a big renovation.
Taffy sweets (candy) and a note await you as you enter your bright, spacious and modern room. Our room was not a seaview, it was located on the ground floor next to the pool and it was perfect. Our children asked if they could light the big outside fire and the hotel happily obliged, supplying (for a charge) smores and chocolate. The staff were young and easy going, it had a very relaxed feel about the place but they did not compromise on standards. On the whole, I would definitely recommend this place, I cannot think of a fault.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We've been to Santa Cruz a lot, but usually just for the day. This is the first time we actually stayed over, and I'm so glad to have found this place! We stayed on the 3rd terrace, Ocean view, corner unit with a full kitchen, far from the stairs, and it was absolutely perfect! We traveled with our two young children ( 4 and 6) and the room was spacious for all of us! The deck definitely was an added bonus! The views were spectacular - especially in the evening when all the sailboats and surfers come out. I was afraid my son would wander to the other decks, and he did occasionally, but since there were quite a few families - we all had the same issues, and no one every complained.

The location was also perfect for our family. We were so close to the beach, the wharf, the boardwalk, and some amenities. The full kitchen in the room was definitely another added bonus and was fully equipped with the basics. We also went downstairs to the Picnic Basket, and had a fabulous breakfast one morning.

I usually like places with nice big bathtubs, but the nicely tiled shower with two heads was a great substitute! After a day at the beach or at the pool, it was nice to be able to have both kids in the shower at the same time - not fighting over the water!

I found the customer service to be fairly superior. Everyone we interacted with was super nice and accommodating. The pool was a little cold, but we were there on a warmer day, and so the kids didn't mind, and yes, it is heated. My only little issue was, that at the time of our stay, they were renovating some of the pool view rooms - and so there was a little smell, but if it means that this place continues to get better, and every room is as fantastic, then I don't have a problem.

Cleaniless- definitely! Everything was super clean, even the pool and grounds!

Room Tip: Suites offer the best amount of space for families! The deck was an added bonus. Definitely call t...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Having never been to Santa Cruz I did not know what to expect and I really didnt know what to expect for Beach Street Inn and Suites. I will say, in all honesty, that when we pulled up I was a bit disappointed as it felt like a Motel (of which I gather it was for many years). Outside pool, big parking lot, kids running around,a common outside area where people were sitting out smoking. Being that my husband and I were escaping our kids for a night I was feeling a little let down upon first appearances. HOWEVER, We had a really nice corner room with a great view of the pier. For more privacy ask for a corner room on the second level. The decks are all open so no one will be walking past your window like they would if you are in the middle or the rooms closest to the stairs. The room was great. Super clean and cute. Very comfortable bed. Perfectly updated with a small kitchen. Location is great. Walkable to all the sites on the beach in Santa Cruz. I had read that noise was an issue and yes, you do get street noise but it isnt the worst and if you come knowing that you are staying on the main drag in SC then it shouldnt be a shock. All the staff was very friendly.
So, if you are looking for a super romantic, private getaway, this probably would not be your place but if you want something casual, particularly if you have kids, I think this would be a great place. Next time I could actually see us going with our kids, getting them an ajoining room so that we get a little privacy but we all get to spend some fun family time vacation together. They are a little older so it would afford them the independence to go wander in the cute beach time while Dad and I hit a nice restaurant on the pier.

Room Tip: Higher floor. Not in the middle or closet to main stairwell
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Firstly, there was nothing cosmetically wrong with the hotel. The room was spotless and well appointed with everything we would need. The heated pool looked lovely, and we had an Ocean View room (we were upgraded free of charge to room 207), the view was spectacular.

My issues were 3 fold. Firstly, we arrived very early in the morning and popped into reception just to check that it would be ok to leave our car in the car park. We didn't get an answer, we were told we were far too early and our room wouldn't be ready until 3. Given the convsation started with "I am really sorry, we are not looking to check into our room right now as we are far too early, but could we possibly park in the car park" it really didn't go down to well with me.

We came back at 2.30 (half an hour before check in, again because we were in the vicinity of the hotel) and we were told that our room was going to be ready later, come back at 4. Again, this is fine BUT if your going to stick to a check in rule, actually let me check in at the time I have paid for.

So we came back at 4, and my heart sank as we arrived as the noise was just unbearable. The hotel is opposite a lovely bar / restaurant. They have a Karaoke on a Sunday afternoon, and it's loud! We asked at check in how late this noise would go on for and they were unable to say, we got a shrug of the shoulders and were told it wouldnt be too late.

This is where the review slides off to my personal opinion of what you use a hotel for. I have young children, we did a 2 hour car journey at the crack of dawn to get them down to Santa Cruz so they could make the most of the boardwalk and beach. When we are on a small break like this, we go back to the hotel room at 4ish for a rest, a shower, a lie down and a rest before heading out for dinner. It's essential aftert a full on day for us to be able to do this, otherwise our evening turns into one big nightmare with over tired children and restaurants which lets face it, no-one enjoys!

We couldnt do this at all. We could hear every single word of the badly sung music in the shower. There was no chance of getting our head down, no chance of the kids getting down time and the whole situation was a huge, big stress. We did our own investigation and found out that the music would stop at 5 as it was still early in the season, we were relieved (although frustrated that the hotel were unable to provide this information to us at all) and decided to stick at it and hope for a break at 5.

True to their word, the karaoke finished at 5 and the music stopped. And then, the Samba band on the Wharf beside the restaurant started to play music through their large, full volume speakers.

It was at this point where staying at this hotel became pointless. Our children were tired but unable to get a nap, we could have gone our for our dinner with over tired children (and exhausted parents) that wasn't going to be fun for anyone, especially not other diners. The noise was simply intolerable and we had to leave the hotel.

Essentially, we wasted our time hanging around the hotel for a late check in that was pointless, and wasted a lot of money on a hotel room that it was impossible to sleep in.

Genuinely, if you are looking for the type of break we have with young children this hotel really is not for you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Superdella
terracecourt, Manager at Beach Street Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

I want to extend our sincerest apologies for your disappointment in the service and the noise during your recent stay with us. I want to assure you that we take your feedback seriously and will address the service and communications issues that you encountered with our staff.

We also sympathize with you regarding the noise coming from across the street and want to assure you that we are taking steps to try to get the bar to limit both the volume and the hours that they have the music going so that our guests are not disturbed in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback and I am so sorry your stay did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family and I have been vacationing here for the past 20 years. It has recently been remodeled so it's a bit more expensive now. However, best motel ever! Everything is within walking distance - beach, boardwalk, pier, bowling, restaurants. You can swim in a nice heated pool even on the foggiest day! Incredible views and only a few blocks to downtown Santa Cruz. We have never been disappointed staying here.

• Stayed: July 2012