“Fairly Good”

Ranked #13 of 374 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The decor is a fun, quirky, old-school diner. The staff was friendly, prompt, and helpful.

I felt that there was a decent selection on the menu and I was impressed by how well they catered to vegans and people with gluten sensitivities. I ordered the Space Cowboy burger but substituted the fake chicken patty for the black bean burger. It was good but not great. I've been a vegetarian for over 15 years and have definitely found imitation meats that taste like real meat but I didn't find that here. I did appreciate the size of my meal. All too often the portion sizes in the USA are double what I need. Saturn Cafe's portions are very reasonable.

All in all this is a good diner for both vegetarians and omnivores alike.

1  Thank Chingu2012
There are newer reviews for Saturn Cafe

Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is one of my favorite places in Santa Cruz. It was a perfect place of compromise for my friends, some of whom are vegetarians and vegans. They have great fries, so the omnivores were pleased.
I feel that it's quintessential Santa Cruz, open late, veg and vegan options, eco-friendly, quirky, and delicious.
I don't know which type of visit to mark because I first visited with my mom, then later went here with groups of friends, on dates, and even studied here solo. It's great atmosphere, and the staff are so nice.

Also, there's a Suturn Cafe in Berkeley, CA; just as great.

1  Thank CourtUCSC
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The diner is kitschy-cute and charming but the food is just about dead center average. I've been veggie for 20+ years and found plenty of things to eat on the brunch menu but none of them sounded like anything more grand than what i could whip up in my own kitchen. The home fries were more "bland curry" than "home fries" which was fine. The prices are very affordable. The service was quick and friendly.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

If you are a carnivore like me, don't worry...you won't miss the meat here. My wife, who is a vegetarian, first brought me here and I was skeptical, a diner style vegetarian restaurant. I must say, I'm a believe now. I've been to both locations, Santa Cruz and Berkley, this location is by far better. I suggest trying their shakes, thick and delicious! The only thing on the menu that I was disappointed in was a cupcake on one visit. It was a little dry, might have been a day old. I look forward to continuing to eat my way around the menu.

1  Thank stephmc85
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Humongous portions! And, nothing but fresh, imaginative fare - superior service and conscientious business too. Salads to LIVE for - and, I mean HUGE! Even a small one is BIG! Great values - great desserts - the BEST! Healthy food and if I could cook this way I certainly WOULD, however, you actually save money for it would be impossible to purchase all the ingredients they use in the platter served for the price and value. SO many dishes I come back here for - vegetarian's delight but YUMMY recipes - LATE NIGHTS TOO - right on the mall so you can do the Catalyst, etc., and eat here during the evening. They have been in business for YEARS, even in other locations, and are MUCH better than they ever have been. Music, chatty, good for foodies!! FUN!!