“Authentic Italian in Santa Cruz of all places!”

Lago di Como Ristorante & Pizzeria
Ranked #30 of 388 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2014

Amazing Northern Italian cuisine in a small house on a quiet street in Santa Cruz. It's quite a find!

We ordered the fried calamari appetizer- it was delicious and included strips of fried carrots and zucchini. An interesting and delicious touch. The only thing it lacked was a lemon.
Then, we tried the Cannonau wine upon the suggestion of our real Milanese waiter. He didn't let us down, it was superb.

My husband ordered lasagna, my son the saffron salmon ravioli, and I couldn't resist the gnocchi ai 4 formaggi. Each dish was just the way it would be prepared in Italy. Fantastico!
The portions were appropriate, not exaggerated like in a chain italian restaurant, but not tiny like a "gourmet" place either. The ravioli dish had about 8-10 pieces of ravioli, the lasagna was about 4x4 inches. The gnocchi, about 1.5 cups cooked. All items were fresh and handmade in the restaurant. I mean, you can tell when pasta is made in house.
We ordered affogato with vanilla gelato- just like in Italy!!

The service was impeccable. Marco treated us very well and he was nice enough to let me practice my Italian with him.

My recommendations are: make a reservation and ask for a table inside if it's late in the day. Their patio seating faces West and there is no shade. Seating is limited and if they have a few groups, you might be waiting a while. Otherwise, if you're in Santa Cruz and you like italian food, make sure to stop here.

There is no scenic view.

Torniamo a presto!!

1  Thank cromocat

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We were taken here by our daughter and her partner who live locally - and went back twice! Ten meals in total between us, in four days. The stand-outs were the Linguine al' Nero di Seppie - an artisan dish - and a sea bass bruschetta, but also those mentioned in reviews below. On our last visit, a Saturday, we just turned up. The staff were as accommodating as possible (the place was packed) and we had a table in the sun outside - a bit hot, but OK. The antipasti came - but so did the sudden mountain mists, and the temperature dropped to the 50's. We were freezing, especially my wife who'd been ill. The staff moved tables around inside to get us in there...and while we were waiting (and shivering) a fellow diner came over, placed her large cashmere shawl around my wife's shoulders and said: "just leave this with the staff, I'll pick it up later. This is such a great restaurant, I wouldn't want you to miss eating here". For us, that said more about the place than anything else.

1  Thank Tony R
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I am in love with this restaurant!!! Their calamari appetizer was to die for, so light and tender, I've never had calamari anything like theirs. I also enjoyed the Caesar salad with their homemade dressing, perfectly balanced and a little lemony yum!! For my entree I had the best pork scaloppine with an amazing picatta sauce, so tender and flavorful and the sauce was the best!!!! Even the rosemary potatoes which I don't normally care for were delish!!! For dessert of course I had the tiramisu and again was scrumptious!! I am so glad I found this gem of a place and will be back for sure. The staff was so friendly and helpful and the owner Giovanni was a genuine guy who made sure our meal was enjoyable and delicious. If your looking for real Italian food this is the place!!!

3  Thank CaFoodLover03
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had just gotten back from a visit to northern Italy (including Bellagio at Lake Como) so we decided to prolong the happiness by trying this restaurant. We enjoyed the polenta anti-pasta dish (that we split) and a bottle of Pinot Blanc from Mendocino... I ordered their specialty risotto with pan fried sole and my husband kept eating the risotto off my plate! Fortunately it was a very generous amount of food and so completely delicious! He had the veal scallopini which was extremely tender and flavorful...his roasted potatoes and veggies looked good too. We were less excited about the chocolate souffle we had for dessert. Our young waiter was really nice and a lot of fun - we will definitely be going back to this restaurant again.

3  Thank Betty H
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Giovanni is a great host, and the antipasti and pasta here were terrific. My son had the veal with porcini and was happier than I've ever seen him. My wife and other son loved the lasagna. My father in law raved about the lamb shank. The chocolate souffle was superb. Enough said, very nice meal!

1  Thank bkeith