“Courtesy, friendliness, and service exceptional”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Spokane, WA
“Courtesy, friendliness, and service exceptional”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed here November 14-18, 2013 as part of a wedding party. The whole party rented about 35 rooms so we had a lot of vested interest in the service and physical characteristics of the hotel. The place is lovely - clean, well-cared for, interestingly appointed in a "green" - environmentally friendly motif. A beautiful pool and spa area, also very well-maintained. Individual rooms are small, as are the bathrooms, but fully serviced and modern with mini-frig. and coffee maker. Beautiful, large walk-in shower.
The key strengths of this hotel are the service, courtesy, and friendliness of its staff. Each person you meet offers a smile and an offer to assist. By way of example of the exceptional service, we hosted a brunch for 80 people on Sunday a.m. after the wedding. I learned late on Saturday night that several guests would not be able to attend the brunch because they had to leave earlier than anticipated for the airport due to road construction. At 8:30 a.m. on Sunday I spoke with the restaurant/banquet manager on duty and asked if a few "to-go" boxes might be prepared for these guests, with brunch foods that would travel well. By 9 a.m. (the brunch was not to be ready until 9:30) eight "to-go" boxes, well stocked with fruit, yougurt, pastries, bagels, and utensils were sitting at the door of the banquet room for my guests. That is service beyond the call of duty, and done graciously as well. We have family in Santa Cruz and will definitely stay at the Paradox again.
PT PHD

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face the pool will overlook the parking lots. Noise was not a problem, although...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear PTPHD,

What a wonderful review! Thank you so much for the lovely comments and recognition of the staff for their handling of your request during a recent event. We are blessed to have an engaged team, dedicated to the art of service. Thank you so much for taking the time to review us for this and I will commend my team for their efforts to meet and exceed your expectations. We do hope to see you again very soon, thank you again for a detailed review of Hotel Paradox.

andrea.murray@thehotelparadox.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
california
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I grew up in santa cruz and visit santa cruz often. before the paradox opened there'd never been a hotel that has been clean, comfortable and as modern as this place. chaminade whitney? out of date. monarch inn? nostalgic beauty but rough around the edges. the venetians? forget it! they need a huge renovation. the paradox room we had was much to small for a king bed and when the bathroom door was open you couldn't access the closet (the designer chose form over function)...but those are really the only cons about this place. every other aspect met our needs in a stylish, CLEAN & comfortable way. the staff was very nice, from the room service server, solaire restaurant servers to both the check-in & check-out lobby clerks. (also, they don't offer in-room TV check-out which is another con). all in all this is the place i've been waiting for when visiting my family on holidays! hopefully santa cruz's small tourism industry can support it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brewsterstravels
Dear Brewsterstravels,

We thank you so very kindly for your review of Hotel Paradox. We are very excited to hear that you enjoy us over many of the other Hotel options in Santa Cruz and we are the newest Hotel with full service amenities and stylish décor. We look forward to welcoming you back to us and we appreciate you taking the time to give us a great review! Look forward to seeing you very soon.

Many thanks!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Paradox on Saturday night in November before heading to big Sur. First of all I need to mention that stuff is very helpful and when I e-mailed with a few questions before our arrival they got back to me very quickly and provided answers to all the questions. People working at front desk are sweet and accommodating. We arranged late check out with no problem and they were in general very understanding and flexible with our requests.

Design of the hotel lobby and pool area is really nice. Rooms are very nicely decorated, however insanely small and ceilings are really low. Before booking keep in mind that the building is a renovated motel and despite all the renovations, rooms still feel like motel rooms.

The night of us checking in hotel restaurant had a few large parties and the whole place including the lobby was insanely noisy and smelled like fish. Pool area was reserved for a different private event and was not accessible till later on. When finally able to use a hut tub we found broken glass which probably was the private party after math.

It still a great deal for the money and I would stay there again, but definitely far from "excellent".

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear SoniaK11,

Thank you for your recent stay and review of Hotel Paradox! I am so happy to hear that the staff was responsive and quick to reply to your inquiries and accommodated you with a late check out. We always try and do our best to accommodate requests. I am so very sorry about the Jacuzzi not being accessible when you wanted to use it, but am happy to hear you were able to access it a little later. I have brought the glass issue up with staff and reminded all team members no glass on the pool deck. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance to you, glad to hear overall the experience was a positive one.

Tracy, California, Usa
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed here Nov.5 and 6th husband had conferences here and I came along for relaxation.This hotel has the best customer service that I have ever stayed at.The staff always says hi,I was sitting by the pool and was asked if I needed anything.The pool area is absolutely beautiful,very relaxing with music playing,at night they have a fire pit.The hotel is not on the beach but the beach is only 5mins away.We always pay the high price to stay on the beach but that won't happen again. The food at the hotel was fabulous,my husband is very picky but enjoyed all the meals he had during this time. The only thing I didn't like was the 5.00 parking fee and that it is next to a big park that a lot of homeless people stay at. The hotel seems to cater to businesses during the week days, not sure about the weekends.The rates are very good for this hotel compared to the hotels on the beach.

Room Tip: The 4th and 5 the 5th floors are better and also rooms that face the pool which are the even numbers...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lorna S.,

I am so happy to hear we have converted you into a Hotel Paradox believer! I love to hear that you will not stay at the beach again! I will be sure to commend our service team for their efforts of ensuring you were well taken care of throughout the stay. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Paradox just recently and experienced excellent service all around....from check in to the time we left. All staff extremely competent and friendly. Dinner at the Solaire restaurant was excellent. We definitely would recommend this hotel!!!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pauline C,

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with Hotel Paradox in Santa Cruz. I will be sure to give the team a pat on the back and recognition for their efforts to provide excellent service to you. I am very proud of my team here, they do try very hard to make sure everyone is happy and comfortable. We do hope to see you again very soon!

Thank you!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night and really liked it. We got a great deal, the decor was "chic" and it was very clean. I would definitely stay here again. All the details were excellent. Loved the wood headboards. Wished we'd had time to enjoy the heated pool and the fire pit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Alittledabble,

We do hope to see you again in the near future and hope you make it back to relax by the firepit and take a dip in our pool! Appreciate the positive review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Many thanks!
charlottesville
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I just spent one night at the Hotel Paradox with a friend and was happy with the motel overall. Oddly, i spent one night in the same motel about three years ago before it's conversion. Previously, it was a Holiday Inn. The rooms open to the outdoors with a view of the parking area or pool. As such, i still consider this place a "motel" rather than "hotel."

The rooms have been stylishly updated with barn wood headboards, sliding barn doors into the bathroom, striated ceramic tile in the bathroom, metallic photo prints, and fresh white linens. The rooms and lobby are certainly "on trend" with regard to decor and i suspect it will feel dated within the next 4 or 5 years. I also suspect should the motel become infested with bed bugs, they will have a challenging time ridding themselves of the pests because of the nooks and crannies inherent in the barn wood headboards. I did not make note of anything that led me to believe the room i rented had any problems in that regard.

The pool are is an oasis with ample outdoor seating, bar service, and a hot tub. Cabanas are available for rent.

I thought it was a bit money grubbing to charge $5 additional for parking especially considering i booked via the "hotel's" website. There is plenty of parking around the motel and parking could easily be included in the room rate.

My friend and i wanted to explore downtown santa cruz by foot and found the hotel's locked gate inconvenient. I understand they are securing access to the property from the drifters/homeless people who congregate in the park next door but it seems like providing daytime access to the pedestrian path during could be just as effective. Rather than exit the front of the motel and walk around the block, we jumped the fence near some water pipes. so we would have a more direct path off the property.

The staff in the lobby were very friendly and helpful. They printed out directions to a local attraction when we checked out.

I would probably stay here again especially considering many of the hotels in santa cruz are either run-down or over-priced. This is a comfortable mid-ranged place to stay that's close to downtown and the beach.

Room Tip: The "quiet" rooms are on the opposite side of the motel from the pool.
Dear Oriahlee,

Thank you so very much for the recent review of Hotel Paradox and your stay experience with us. Glad to hear you appreciated the décor elements and the renovation touch points we have done seeing that you have stayed here when it was a different Hotel. We do still consider ourselves a Hotel as we offer many more offerings and amenities than you find in motels; Soft robes, luxury bedding, valet and laundry service, a business center and fitness center, a full service upscale restaurant on site...I do understand the rooms are exterior facing, but we hope to counter any sense of motel feeling by the service and amenities we provide just as the agent took the time to print directions for you-that is what we feel (hopefully!) can set us apart as we want the stay to feel high end and service oriented in every way. We do look forward to seeing you again and if you have any notes for me on how we can be more hotel like-I would appreciate your thoughts as we continually strive to improve our business and create w from your vantage point, I would appreciate your thoughts. We strive to create wonderful hospitality moments for all our guests. Appreciate your insight and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Feel free to reach out if I can be of service.