“As they say in Cali - OMG, like such a cute hotel...”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
London, United Kingdom
“As they say in Cali - OMG, like such a cute hotel...”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was a fantastic stop for us just after labour day weekend where we paid over the odds for a number of suboptimal motels/hotels. Then there was the Paradox - an oasis is a sea of mediocrity! The decor, ambiance, pool, food, service, rooms and vibe is that of a Soho House establishment. This place is absolutely worth every penny. If you are anywhere near or even if you aren't you have to stay here. Highly recommended! ;-)

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Naoa68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

We purchassed a night's stay on hotel tonight. The hotel decor was very hip and fun, while still natural and cozy. We ate at the onsite restaurant and it was delicious. Enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Nichole3
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The room is clean and very modern. Great coffee machine, shower, tub whatever, it's all high quality and new. The rooms are small as measured by square feet but are designed well enough that you don't need any more space.

Room Tip: I'm in 120 and I like it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sethra L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel was a great surprise. Very tastefully renovated throughout and is a real upmarket gem for very reasonable prices. We really enjoyed the Happy Hour in the restaurant and bar, sitting out in the sun by the lovely pool area.

Our room was very comfortable with a nice bathroom to match.

Would recommend to anyone staying in Santa Cruz!

ps we booked on the hotel's website directly and got a $20 credit to spend on food and drinks in the hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank domfoster99
stockton ca
Reviewed August 24, 2013

No warm colors or decor to make me feel cozy, just a fallen tree to serve as a barrier between customer and clerk. I gather that the clerk had a flat surface somewhere on her side but mine did not. Nothing functional about this huge tree trunk lying in the room except to conceal her work area I suppose. The pool and jacuzzi were nice except I saw that some folks in the area were non-residents. Either that or they always jump in their cars with wet swimsuits on. Room had a gorgeous glass shower along with a very loud toilet flush. That may be a Paradox, I'm not sure. The two Queen Bed room was not really big enough for three as I had hoped it would be. It certainly appeared to be in a nice area and the building next door has something to do with the police dept.

Room Tip: only one chair in the room and if three of you get the Queen beds, you'll be falling all over ea...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tippitendren
Basalt, CO
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

At more than 400 a night, my king suite was not good. The living area was freezing and the bedroom sweltering. And i was shocked by the view of the homeless sleeping in the park behind the hotel. It did not make me comfortable. Restaurant and the food were both great ... Best part of the place .... Just a very dressed up old motel at an extra expensive place.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank BasaltDuo
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear BasaltDuo,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Paradox in Santa Cruz. My apologies that you felt the room was not worth what you paid for it. Rates do fluctuate during the week and weekend based on demand in the area. You should have a consistent temperature in the room itself and this needs to be addressed as the HVAC should work properly. I'd love to catch up with you personally to see what you think we could do to add value into the Suites that would make it worth what you paid. Also, I'd love to invite you back for a complimentary stay if you would let me have some time with you about what we can do to improve it from your point of view? I am certainly concerned about creating a great guest experience and we want to be able to earn your future business as we try and build up loyalty with our guests in the Hotel. Please let me know if you would take me up on the offer? Please feel free to reach me at my contact information below.

Thank you!
Andrea Murray, General Manager
andrea.murray@thehotelparadox.com
831.600.4501
Vacaville, California
Reviewed August 23, 2013

First let me start off by saying I got the government rate of $135 a night for the King Suite.

Overall the Hotel was a good stay. There were a few things I would have expected though that I have gotten in other hotels that this one seems to be missing on.

For the goods...the decor was nice as well as the beds and sheets. The Hotel was very clean and the pool area was amazing. All the staff members I ran into were extremely helpful, but some were more professional then others. The front desk staff and bell hop were more then willing to help out and take care of any requests. I never used the room service or restaurant so I can not comment on those aspects.

For the not so goods...The building is not a hotel as advertised, but an upgraded motel. There was no iron or ironing board in the room, nor was there a microwave (however with all my travel this seems to be hit or miss). The area that the Hotel was situated in was in a decent (at best) part of town during the daylight hours, but a place I would not want to get caught out at night time. One member of the staff, while being very nice, also gave the perception of being very unprofessional. While at the pool the lifeguard seemed to have quite a few of what seemed to be college buddies at the pool and that's where he spent most of his attention. Also, ice buckets were provided in rooms however there were no Ice machines on the first floor. It also lacked vending machines to by a soft drink, but I think this is so you had to go to their bar and pay $2.30 for a 10oz (est.) soft drink.

Overall, this was an average hotel with nothing special. There was nothing outstanding but it provided a good nights rest after long days for me and my family. At the rate of $135 it provided what I expected. As long as the rate didn't go up to much we would return to this place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mtborer
Dear Mtborer,

First off, thank you for your honest feedback and review of Hotel Paradox. We are so happy that there were aspects of the stay that were a win for you, the cleanliness, the pool area, the beds and the Front Desk staff. I am sorry to hear the experience went down for you in terms of the professionalism of the wait staff on the deck area. We would never want you to have a negative viewpoint of our staff or give the impression that it would be acceptable to have their buddies just hanging out as I can tell you, that is definitely not the way we would want that to happen. As far as the ice machines go, we do have them on the 2nd and the 5th floor, but if you want us to run and get ice for you, the team is more than happy to fetch it for you. Just call us, we will bring it right up. We did at one point consider vending machines, but we don't think that is something we will add at this time. We do thank you for your thoughts and we can review it again. I would be more than happy to assist you with a future stay or booking to ensure all is perfect for you and to assure you that we have taken note of the areas you showed concern over. We are still in our first year, and we want to make a great experience for every guest. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Thank you!