“Sparkling, up to date”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed May 22, 2013

While this property clearly shows the bones of the motel-style building that it is, the rooms are a delight, with lots of modern touches. I appreciated the bathroom lighting, which is very flattering. Front desk staff was personable and helpful. They really ought to consider putting an ironing board and iron in each room rather necessitating a call to the front desk to have those items brought up (which they were, in less than 3 minutes). Also, the $5 parking fee was not welcome. But in all, a good stay and free Wifi. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sandra S
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Taxiwaiting71,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Hotel Paradox, we are so glad you came to stay with us. Thank you also for the feedback, as a result, we have started ordering Irons and Ironing boards to outfit the hotel over time. We will work on this as a project and we will also continue to deliver up an iron and ironing board upon request as well. We do have a small fee for parking which is to cover the maintainence and security costs as we do staff an overnight security person to keep an eye on the lot. We thank you so much for your recent stay and great review. We thank you for your feedback as we always welcome tips to improve our offerings, services and Hotel.

Thank you!
Andrea Murray

There are newer reviews for Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I recently stayed here with a group of three other people. We were searching all over Santa Cruz for a hotel that was reasonably priced, yet didn't seem to sketchy. We came across Hotel Paradox and it was love at first sight. From the location, to the room interiors, to the completely remodeled outdoor pool and bar, it was all fantastic. To top it all off, the service was very good as well! We stayed for two nights without any problems. The room was clean, the amenities were very good, and we loved to urban natural feel of the decor. Great place, would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, on the opposite side from the pool. Quiet, but still easily accessed the p...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gregoogle
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Just got back from a night at this hotel. It is really lovely. The newly decorated rooms and bathrooms are beautiful Pool area is very comfortable with cabanas you can lounge it if it's cool. Walking distance to the downtown area with great restaurants. They have a good happy hour until 7 pm. We got back from dinner and went to sit by the outdoor fire pit until 11pm. They were clearing up around us, but when we offered to leave they said no problem. Got talking to Tony, one of the workers - so charming. Breakfast was very good. The check in area is very striking - front desk made out of a eucalyptus tree trunk! Got a free breakfast through Travelzoo - will definitely go back again.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, but next time I'll ask for one overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear hpsjlt,

Thank you so much for your very kind and warm review of the Hotel Paradox. We strive to make every visit a wonderful and relaxing stay. I appreciate your review of the hotel, we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Many thanks,

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed here for two nights while attending a conference off site. They have done a very good job transforming an old Holiday Inn into an upscale boutique hotel. I loved the lobby area with the felled tree registration desk as well as the wood features throughout the hotel and rooms. The rooms have all been updated with fresh paint, wall coverings and carpet. The bathrooms, although small, are well-outfitted. The shower has a nice rain head and curved curtain rack. The amenities are of high quality. The closet is small but adequate. My biggest disappointment was the lack of an iron and ironing board. The bed was comfy and I slept well, which is often a problem in some hotels. Rooms have a flat screen TV built into the wall and the furnishings are modern and tasteful. Service was always provided with a smile. I did not eat at the restaurant but those in our group said it was excellent, but expensive. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 7, 2013

In April 2013 I attended a three day conference at Hotel Paradox. Our large group put the hotel at 90+% sold out. This made the dining room crowded for breakfast and lunch, but the service remained good expecially with the managers pitching in to help. The food was outstanding. The rooms are well-appointed, the staff was helpful and pleasant, the pool area inviting, the parking easy and safe. They took good care of our conference with ice water attractively offered and coffee in the morning. The hotel is located on a main street which made finding our way around Santa Cruz easy. It was a joy being there.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a pool-side room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I had a discount coupon and stayed here two nights for about $130/night. I wouldn't go back. It's nicely appointed but the owners seem to value fashionable decor and possibly "greenness" above guest comfort.

Our main problem is that all the rooms open onto the community walkway, and the windows do not open. You must rely entirely on the ventilation system for air. The system offers several options: cool, heat, auto, fan and dry. It was functioning, but no matter what setting it was on, our room stayed warm and stuffy. The air outside was quite cool, so air conditioning should not have been necessary, but even when we tried "cool", the air in our room stayed the same temperature. I don't know where the air in the ventilation system came from, but it definitely wasn't fresh. Finally at 2:00AM my husband propped our door open which wasn't entirely safe, but we were able to sleep.

When I mentioned this to the front desk in the morning the girl said that the system is "green" and won't go below 67 degrees, and she was sorry if it was "a little stuffy".

When I stay in a hotel I like to sit in a comfortable chair, put my feet up on something, and read. This hotel provides small pieces of tree trunks instead of tables. They look nice but they weigh a TON. The chair in our room wasn't comfortable, I couldn't move the damn tree trunk to put my feet up, so I gave up on the idea of reading in the chair. I would rather have a normal ottoman or small table than the tree trunk.

I like to have two pillows when I sleep. The bed has nice pillows, but only two king-size, and two euro-squares. The euro-squares had shams but no pillow cases, so they were only useful as throw pillows, not for sleeping. I would rather have a bed with four normal pillows on it, like most hotels do.

When booking our room I asked if the rooms have balconies. The girl said the upper floors have a common balcony, and the ground-level rooms each have a private, fenced-in "patio area". Actually aIl the rooms open onto a walkway. What she described as a balcony on the upper floors is just a walkway. The ground-level rooms have two chairs plus another tree-trunk table outside. There is a railing which separates them from the walkway, but I would not describe this as a fenced-in patio area. It is too tiny, and there is no privacy whatsoever from the people walking by. The chairs are not comforable.

The hotel was clean and quiet during our stay. They have a nice pool and provide extra towels poolside, along with ice water. Our room (131) had a very nice print of trees, although it was crooked and all four corners were affixed to the wall so it couldn't be straightened.

The restaurant is expensive and the food is very good. The people at the front desk are very helpful and nice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Janet W
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Ms. Janet W.,

Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Hotel Paradox, I am sorry to hear that you would not return to us based on your experience. I do think that we do want all guests to be comfortable, as our business is based on comfort, I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations of comfort during your stay and we will work on all areas you have outlined in detail. I agree that the ventilation should work and if you were disrutped by this we should have offered something in the way of follow up to make it up to you. We appreciate your feedback and will go back and share your experience with the team and ensure that staff are trained on proper verbiage for the walkway, it is a walkway...there are small balconies on the first floor. They are small chairs that fit the space. We hope you will give us a second chance, if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to discuss what we can do to make it up to you. Feel free to reach out to me for assistance.

Many thanks!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

On the plus side:
1) The beds are wonderful and the rooms are squeaky clean.
2) The staff is very friendly and professional.
3) Free WiFi

...so much for the good points

4) Unfortunately, while the lobby, restaurant and conference center is in a brand new building, the hotel itself is an old Holiday Inn, probably built in the 70's. It is your typical 5 story, concrete construction, quite old and dated despite their best efforts to conceal it under a new coat of paint and modern furniture. The rooms all open onto a common outside walkway. Being un-carpeted concrete, it makes the housekeeping carts rolling by sound like you're in a bowling alley.
5) Unless you pay for an upgrade, the best rate rooms they advertise all back up to the very noisy elevator shafts. These are also the smallest rooms in the hotel, measuring some 10' x 10'. An upgrade will set you back around $180+/night, which is way more than I would ever pay for this hotel.
6) If you do stay here, be sure to request a room AWAY from the pool. On one of the two nights I was there, they sponsored some sort of pool party packed with college kids complete with techno-pop music blaring poolside from 4:00pm - 8:00pm.
7) Parking is an extra $5/night if you care.
8) I can't resist but to mention the shelves of books throughout the lobby all sporting plain white paper book covers. When I asked what that was all about, the front desk clerk happily replied: "You can't judge a book by it's cover". All things consdidered, it brought to mind the expression: "You can't make a silk purse from a cow's ear", or better yet, the famous "Lipstick on a pig" comment.....

Room Tip: If you stay here, be prepared to pay for an upgrade to one of their larger rooms away from the pool.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Llork
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Mr. Llork,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with the Hotel Paradox. I am glad there are some points on your stay that you enjoyed, the complimentary wifi, our staff engagement, and we do have a great Housekeeping team and they take great care of the rooms.

I am sorry to hear that your joy with us stops there, we appreciate all your feedback as areas we can improve upon to make the experience better for you for your next stay with us. We do occasionally have events on the pool deck, but we do try and keep them to just the afternoon/early evening. The pool deck is quite fun when in use, I am sorry you found the party atmosphere a detractor to your experience with us. Sizes of rooms vary from 220 sq ft all the way up to 880 sg ft (suites) so there is a range available according to availability and preference.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do at this time to make it up to you and we do appreciate your comments and feedback in light of your experience. I am happy that service was good, but am aware that your vision of our hotel has been blurred by the observations in regards to appearances. I do hope you will give us another chance and if there is anything I can personally do for you at this time, please feel free to let me know.

Many thanks!