“Everything you need to know about the Hotel Paradox”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
paso robles
“Everything you need to know about the Hotel Paradox”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

On the plus side:
1) The beds are wonderful and the rooms are squeaky clean.
2) The staff is very friendly and professional.
3) Free WiFi

...so much for the good points

4) Unfortunately, while the lobby, restaurant and conference center is in a brand new building, the hotel itself is an old Holiday Inn, probably built in the 70's. It is your typical 5 story, concrete construction, quite old and dated despite their best efforts to conceal it under a new coat of paint and modern furniture. The rooms all open onto a common outside walkway. Being un-carpeted concrete, it makes the housekeeping carts rolling by sound like you're in a bowling alley.
5) Unless you pay for an upgrade, the best rate rooms they advertise all back up to the very noisy elevator shafts. These are also the smallest rooms in the hotel, measuring some 10' x 10'. An upgrade will set you back around $180+/night, which is way more than I would ever pay for this hotel.
6) If you do stay here, be sure to request a room AWAY from the pool. On one of the two nights I was there, they sponsored some sort of pool party packed with college kids complete with techno-pop music blaring poolside from 4:00pm - 8:00pm.
7) Parking is an extra $5/night if you care.
8) I can't resist but to mention the shelves of books throughout the lobby all sporting plain white paper book covers. When I asked what that was all about, the front desk clerk happily replied: "You can't judge a book by it's cover". All things consdidered, it brought to mind the expression: "You can't make a silk purse from a cow's ear", or better yet, the famous "Lipstick on a pig" comment.....

Room Tip: If you stay here, be prepared to pay for an upgrade to one of their larger rooms away from the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Llork
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Mr. Llork,

Thank you so much for your recent stay with the Hotel Paradox. I am glad there are some points on your stay that you enjoyed, the complimentary wifi, our staff engagement, and we do have a great Housekeeping team and they take great care of the rooms.

I am sorry to hear that your joy with us stops there, we appreciate all your feedback as areas we can improve upon to make the experience better for you for your next stay with us. We do occasionally have events on the pool deck, but we do try and keep them to just the afternoon/early evening. The pool deck is quite fun when in use, I am sorry you found the party atmosphere a detractor to your experience with us. Sizes of rooms vary from 220 sq ft all the way up to 880 sg ft (suites) so there is a range available according to availability and preference.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do at this time to make it up to you and we do appreciate your comments and feedback in light of your experience. I am happy that service was good, but am aware that your vision of our hotel has been blurred by the observations in regards to appearances. I do hope you will give us another chance and if there is anything I can personally do for you at this time, please feel free to let me know.

831.600.4501.
andrea.murray@thehotelparadox.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
San Rafael, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Overall, I'd say this hotel has promise. The staff are eager, but unpolished. There were several glitches with our stay (first, a room next to an extremely loud elevator, then a hotel pool where no one greeted us, no deck chairs were available, etc.), but given the chance to correct them, they did. The waitstaff and front desk were overall pleasant, but need a great deal more training (in the restaurant, for example, you don't need to ask if I want more water - if my glass is empty, refill it... this was the general tone of the entire stay). Overall, the property is nice and thank goodness for an option like this in Santa Cruz, where it's so difficult to find a modern hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't book the smallest king size room. They are all apparently next to the elevator and e...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear SanRafaelchica,

Thank you so much for your review of the Hotel Paradox. My sincere apology for the issues you experienced in relation to your recent stay with us. We will be sure to beef up staffing for the pool deck area and we will be sure to express your concern to the Manager of this area. As far as the noisy room goes, every room is insulated, but some face the pool, some are near the elevator and this can impact noise in the room from these areas. We will be sure to do all we can to improve the experience for your future return. I plan to hold a service training and will be sure to include your experience with service. If there is something I can do to make it up to you, please feel free to let me know. I do want to make it right in your eyes and make sure you come back to give us another chance in the future.

650.862.7191
Province of Malaga, Spain
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed here with my sister for a weekend family event in the area. This hotel has beautiful, contemporary, unique touches. The registration desk is a huge trunk of a felled tree. The wall in the dining room have ceramic squirrels running up it. The rooms are comfortable and clean. Our room faced the pool on a upper floor (view, quiet).

The service in the dining room at breakfast was efficient and the food was excellent. I would return to this hotel given the chance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Culturelover22,

Thank you so much for such a lovely review of the Hotel Paradox. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed all the designer inspired touches throughout the Hotel. We do look forward to welcoming you back to the property and seeing you again in the future! Many thanks for the review!

831.600.4501
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I love this hotel so much that we've stayed here twice on our weekend trips, even though we live only one hour from Santa Cruz. It was probably a run down motel at one time that has been renovated into a beautiful, upscale hotel. Decor is charming... lots of rustic wood features used in a surprisingly modern way. Service is great. The rooms are clean. Beds are so comfortable. There's a hot tub and a pool, which I didn't use, but other guests seem to enjoy (especially the evening hot tub guests). The restaurant, Solaire, is ok and has wonderful service, but don't expect to be blown away by the food. For the price points, I expected more. Presentation was an "A", but taste was average. The bartender makes great drinks, though... so be sure to stop at the bar for a nightcap.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the pool side of the building. The other side faces a parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel has a lot to offer young hip couples and families, and at the same time my elderly mom and disabled sister also had a wonderful stay. All of the staff were welcoming, friendly and could not have done more to accommodate our needs. The clean, nature base decor is very restful and calming. As a local with a small house, I will definately book this for family in the future. I'll also be back for a drink poolside with friends.

Room Tip: Book a room on the ocean side on one of the upper floors for a view. The first floor poolside rooms...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jasmine230
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Jasmine230,

Wow, thank you so much for the great review of Hotel Paradox. We are so happy to hear that the service you received made your stay special. We love our indoor forest that our design team created, it is unique and glad to see it enhanced the feeling of your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you poolside for cocktails. Our full liquor license should be in effect soon. Time being, enjoy a Soju cocktail or a glass of wine by the pool.

831.600.4505
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Central location, spotless, comfortable, charming, reasonably priced, nice restaurant, great pool area....felt safe and happy. Downside, thin walls and we had loud drunk people in the room next to us. Earplugs were an easy fix. Will recommend to my family and friends. The redwood decor is a nice touch too.

Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Brilliant location, close to the main strip which had loads of great restaurants and shops. The staff were super friendly and provided brilliant service. Went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed, gave us bar and restaurant recommendations. Rooms were cosy and plush. The heated swimming pool, hot pool and surrounding pool area was heavenly. The pools stay open until 10pm and theres a fire pit so you can spend the evening by the pool. Cocktails were reasonably priced at $8 dollars and you can have them sat in the hot tub! Utter bliss.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple