On the plus side:
1) The beds are wonderful and the rooms are squeaky clean.
2) The staff is very friendly and professional.
3) Free WiFi
...so much for the good points
4) Unfortunately, while the lobby, restaurant and conference center is in a brand new building, the hotel itself is an old Holiday Inn, probably built in the 70's. It is your typical 5 story, concrete construction, quite old and dated despite their best efforts to conceal it under a new coat of paint and modern furniture. The rooms all open onto a common outside walkway. Being un-carpeted concrete, it makes the housekeeping carts rolling by sound like you're in a bowling alley.
5) Unless you pay for an upgrade, the best rate rooms they advertise all back up to the very noisy elevator shafts. These are also the smallest rooms in the hotel, measuring some 10' x 10'. An upgrade will set you back around $180+/night, which is way more than I would ever pay for this hotel.
6) If you do stay here, be sure to request a room AWAY from the pool. On one of the two nights I was there, they sponsored some sort of pool party packed with college kids complete with techno-pop music blaring poolside from 4:00pm - 8:00pm.
7) Parking is an extra $5/night if you care.
8) I can't resist but to mention the shelves of books throughout the lobby all sporting plain white paper book covers. When I asked what that was all about, the front desk clerk happily replied: "You can't judge a book by it's cover". All things consdidered, it brought to mind the expression: "You can't make a silk purse from a cow's ear", or better yet, the famous "Lipstick on a pig" comment.....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Paradox is the newest boutique Hotel in Santa Cruz. The hotel has been fully rebuilt by designer David Oldroyd of Orlando Diaz-Azcuy Design Associates of San Francisco. The design elements replicate the feeling of being in a Redwood forest to bring the outdoors indoors. Enjoy the feeling of the forest in our specially designed guest rooms and suites. Visit the Hotel Paradox Pool Deck complete with private, rentable Cabanas, chaise loungers, tables for poolside dining and outdoor/indoor bar area. Hungry for more? Dine with us in Solaire, a fresh farm-to-table organic produced and sourced dining experience headed up by Chef Ross McKee. Solaire serves Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner with a wine and beer bar area. All guest rooms feature the outdoor elements to enhance the feeling of the outdoors, yet offer all the amenities you seek to ensure a completely fresh, sunny Santa Cruz experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and HRS so you can book your Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.