“The Hotel Paradox is a Paradox!”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Malibu
“The Hotel Paradox is a Paradox!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

We are staying here this weekend for a tennis tournament that my daughter is playing in and this hotel is a really wonderful surprise! Located in a long line of Motel 8's and Holiday Inn's, this hotel is surprisingly modern, new and clean. The interiors are forest themed in a very hip, modern way! The rooms are great. The shower is large with a pebble floor. The beds are very comfortable. The only downsides were that the elevators are not working, but we need the exercise and the restaurant did not open until 9 on Saturday. The fitness center has new treadmills, ellipticals and bikes, but no free weights. There is room for them, so I expect they are on order. This hotel has only been open for about 3 months. It is a fantastic value and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can't walk up stairs, ask for a first floor room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Folsom, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Very nice place. Elevators were down and we got upgraded to fifth floor but nothing wrong with a little exercise! Would definitely stay here again. Really nice bar/restaurant/pool area. Employees friendly and very helpful. Room did not have iron/board but they brought one up right away. Bed was very comfortable!!

• Stayed November 2011
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here for two nights with my sons so we could visit my daughter at UCSC. The service - in all areas of the hotel - was superb! The beds were extremely comfortable with quality linens. The bath towels are also of great quality and the robes in the rooms are divine.

Heated pool, jacuzzi, fire pit, covered cabanas with sofa seating, and poolside bar service added to the quality of our stay. The restaurant serves local and seasonal dishes - very very good food!

Have already booked a room for my next stay.

Room Tip: While the rooms are not tiny, the floor space is a bit limited which worked fine for myself and my t...
Campbell, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Paradox hotel in Santa Cruz has only been open a few months, so I thought I should write a review after staying there this last weekend. This property was previously called the UCSD Hotel. I never stayed there, so can’t compare. But I think a huge amount of changes have been put in place. I was really stunned, since most if not all of the hotels in Santa Cruz tend to be dated and a bit moldy around the edges.

On the plus side, the lobby, restaurant, bar, and pool area are great. The pool is especially wonderful – cabanas, fire pits, a large spa, large pool, an outdoor bar, and snack/beverage service at the pool and spa! You had me right there, when I get someone to bring me munchies and wine while I loll in the hot tub.

The rooms are spotless, modern, with a large shower (I liked the pebbly shower floor, my sister didn’t), guest fridge, etc. The beds were comfortable. The rooms, though standard size, were fine for 2-4 people, I thought. There is free wi-fi. Parking isn’t free, but is only $5.

Overall, I loved having such a modern, attractive hotel to plan to visit for future overnights in Santa Cruz, esp. when the weather allows lounging by the pool.

But, a few downsides. The location isn’t great, meaning mainly you won't be walking to the beach. On the other side of the river from the Pacific Garden Mall (downtown Santa Cruz), it’s next to government buildings, which is fine, though there’s a tattoo/piercing parlor across the street. (But this IS Santa Cruz.) It's a short drive to the beach and boardwalk (but then you have to deal with parking). You'll probably also drive to downtown, though that’s more walkable.

One big problem for my sister and me was the hot tub full of little kids. At one point I think there were just my sister and me, and 9 kids unrelated to us, playing Marco Polo, tossing a beach ball, and splashing chlorinated spa water into my glass of wine. There were fully clothed adults letting their three-year-old go into the spa! It was a noisy and inappropriate setting. Other parents may have been at the bar, I don’t know. The kids needed to be in the pool, not the spa, and the parents of small children need to be in with them or at least in bathing suits. I didn’t see any spa rules posted. The hotel staff saw all this because they were around serving drinks. I’ve taken a child into a spa but I always insist on “spa behavior.”

The layout of the hotel is a little odd. After you check in, you exit the lobby/restaurant building and then the rooms are in the building next door. If you have a room overlooking the pool, nice. The other side overlooks the parking lot and government building. The first floor porches are nice on the pool side, but pretty pointless on the parking lot side (see photo).

The front desk is presumably inexperienced because they didn’t seem to know how to print a receipt for our expenses while there, showing the $20 Groupon meal credit. They just provided individual receipts for meals, drinks, etc. But that might be just the one person who checked us out. And they were all very pleasant.

We ate dinner at the onsite restaurant, right next to (in the same building as) the lobby. It was very attractive, had a fireplace, and open cooking area. But the menu was fairly limited, and seemed pretty pretentious. LOTS of words that we had no clue about, and we eat out quite a bit, both in this country and internationally. The risotto I had wasn’t particularly memorable. But again, they are very new and no doubt things will improve. And the atmosphere was nice.

All that said (quibble quibble) I definitely plan to return. The outdoor/pool area alone (esp. with the food and drink service) would be enough to bring me back, and the hotel’s attractive décor, new rooms, and overall luxuriousness compared to most other Santa Cruz hotels (along with a reasonable room rate) makes it a standout, in my opinion.

Room Tip: If you want an outside sitting area, ask for first floor poolside, though you may get some foot traf...
1 Thank Sharon M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

No luxury hotel, but then again, it's not trying to be. And frankly, I don't think such thing exists in this town. Staff was clearly trying very hard to be helpful & friendly (and succeeded). The restaurant has a small menu, but food was good, fresh, and reasonably priced. Pool & bar area were great! Would be a cool place for out of town wedding guest to gather & visit.

Convenient, location to downtown. Easily walkable. Just be aware that you are walking through a local park and its homeless residents. They didn't seem to bother anyone, as it seems the homeless are unavoidable in Santa Cruz.

My only real complaint was that we could never get the AC to cool the room down enough. I suspect it may have had something to do with being a "green" hotel. May be more energy efficient than powerful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

It's a six week old hotel, therefore it was very clean and probably we got a lower introduction price.
On the other hand, the staff is a bit untrained (even thought they were very nice)
Bottom line: highly Recommended!

• Stayed October 2012
Portola Valley, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I used a Living Social deal for one night at the Hotel Paradox. The location is great (short drive to the beach/boardwalk, downtown or Capitola). Although we didn't use the pool or jacuzzi, it looked very inviting with quality poolside furniture and private cabanas. Very boutique-like. The room was nicely decorated and very clean, flat screen TV, nice bathroom with robes and small closet off to the side. I would strongly recommend that for the room rates charged, additional amenities be provided (Q Tips, shower cap, more body lotion, etc) as done in some of the better boutique hotels. If they want to be in that category, then it should present itself as one. The room lacked a hotel guide with all of their information, restaurant information, local points of interest, etc. We couldn't find one anywhere and wanted to review the restaurant menu. Now, for the restaurant.....my low rating on the service is for them and not the front desk or valet as they were very professional and couldn't do enough for you. We went to the restaurant for dinner and breakfast since the reviews have been more than favorable. I will state that the food is very good and I don't mind paying for a more expensive dinner but the service has to be as good (if not better) than the food. Our dinner service was very slow (we had to ask three times for bread and butter), but the breakfast service was awful! First of all, it took us 15 minutes to receive menus as they ran out! Really??? In all my years of travel, I've never had that happen in ANY restaurant. Their excuse was the hotel guests had taken them to their rooms (see my comment above on the hotel information guide). It took us 20 minutes to get water and another cup of coffee. Thank goodness the breakfast itself was very good as I was beyond being irritated at that point. I should've complained to management about the service, but was exhausted from asking for menus, water and coffee and we needed to check out. Overall, this is a nice hotel and has a lot of potential, but management needs to address the service issue or lack thereof in the restaurant. I understand that it's newly opened and bugs need to be worked out, but quality and experienced servers shouldn't be hard to find in this economy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple