“AMAZING!!!”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was such an amazing find. We booked rooms for three families for a mini getaway. The hotel was far beyond our expectations from the moment we drove up. The staff were all nice and accommodating. We happened to be staying the same night as the grand opening party. We were all invited to attend for a night to remember. Incredible food, wine tasting, fire dancers, stilt walkers, photo booth, band, dj and on and on....All at no charge! The design is so unique and well done. The details put into this to make it such a special hotel are throughout the property. The restaurant was incredible and a perfect match with the hotel. Such a great vibe at this hotel we can't wait to book our next trip and tell all our friends!! Special thanks to Guy who went far beyond to make us feel special. Thank you so much Hotel Paradox and we wish you the best success! Great job!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Alicia N

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at this sleek and modern hotel (reminded us of staying in Norway) at the end of a 3 week trip and it was excellent.
the restaurant was very good and the rooms spacious -also you can swim in the pool before breakfast or relax in the hot tub by firelight in the evening.
the staff were warm and welcoming ----and some have very interesting hobbies.
i would definately return if in Santa Cruz again

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear UK Guest,

We are so pleased that you found us during your vacation in the United States and that you love Santa Cruz and the Hotel Paradox as much as we do. The unique and contemporary design of our property is delighting our visitors and local community alike, everyone wants to come and see us. Your comments regarding our amenities and staff are most appreciated and will be shared with all. Please contact me directly if you need anything in the future.
Warm regards,
Tony

Reviewed September 20, 2012

After leaving Napa we were looking for a place to stay in the Santa Cruz/Monterey area and happened to stumble on this hotel. Had checked a few websites and after my wife noticed it was "newly renovated" we decided to give it a shot. We were greeted by a pleasant young man named Patrick and he answered many of our questions about the hotel and Santa Cruz as well as showing us to our room. The lobby has a huge Eucyliptus tree for a front desk and lots of tree sections being used as tables and other accessories throughout the hotel.The hotel is still in the process of being renovated and work was ongoing while we were there. There is a new modern restaurant and bar area. The pool area with cabanas, hot tub and firplace were all very warm and inviting. The pool was crystal clear and the pool area was spotless. The room was a bit small but the bed was comfortable and the bathroom was immaculate and new. There was a mini fridge and wifi in the room. Close to the downtown shopping district and there is a park next to the hotel which gives some privacy to the hotel. Some minor things need to be worked out (elevators were not working well, couldn't locate ice machine and seemd to be a bit shorthanded with staff). Overall a great place to stay and would stay there again in a minute.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Santa Cruz is one of those places that just doesn't have great lodging options. Either you're stuck at an old B&B with way too much floral wallpaper or you're at some dodgy motel. The prices in Santa Cruz do not reflect quality at all.

Hotel Paradox is a great addition to a town that needs reliable, clean, quality lodging.

LOCATION - I loved the location of the hotel. It's about a 5 minute walk through a park and across a pedestrian bridge to downtown Santa Cruz. There is a Trader Joe's and CVS. Coffee at LuLu's (artisan coffee roaster that grinds and brews by the cup!) is amazing and they also have gluten free pastries. The walk to the boardwalk is not that much further.

ROOMS - Very new, very clean. You can hear people walking upstairs a little bit but I didn't hear my neighbors or people walking down the hall at all. The bathroom is well done but it is a shower only. The shower is glass enclosed, so no slimy shower curtain. Bed, pillows and linen are quite comfortable. I stay at Starwood properties on a regular basis (100+ nights a year) and I would say it is comparable to W/Aloft standards. There is Keurig machine with coffee and tea. Since the rooms are new, there is a light switch and outlet next to each bedstand. Key!

POOL - Decent sized pool to play and do laps in the morning if no one is in it. There are about 30 or so loungers and also a hot tub. I think I remember seeing a couple cabanas as well. You can order food and drinks from the pool area bar.

SERVICE - The service was just ok. It wasn't because people didn't try - it just seemed that they were new and weren't quite polished yet. For instance, the front desk couldn't quite remember what was open and what was still being remodeled. She forgot to tell us when checkout was. The pool waitress couldn't find someone to get us a towel.

CONSTRUCTION - I was told when I called to make the reservation that construction was still going on in some parts of the hotel. Apparently all the rooms are done but the front desk area and meeting rooms aren't done yet. Construction is 9am-5pm. I was told there was construction on the weekend by the man who answered the phone and was told there was NOT construction on the weekend by the front desk during check-in. Either way, I didn't hear anything on Sunday morning but you may want to confirm this.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sanchang
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed with a friend at the Paradox for one night. We came down the coast from the Bay Area for a quick overnight getaway. The hotel is brand new, with a modern, hip vibe. There is a bit of nature flair, with a eucalyptus tree acting as a front desk, which was a very cool touch. The hotel has a redwood forest feel in some parts and the eco decor was unique and refreshing, it gave off a very Santa-Cruzy air which was nice. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The bed provided an excellent nights sleep and the bathrobes were very soft and excellent for lounging around in. The staff was friendly, welcoming, and helpful, and saw to our every need, even though we were only guests for one night. We didn't get to eat in the restaurant, which wasn't open yet, but I look forward to doing so. I will definitely be staying at the Paradox on my next overnight trip to Santa Cruz.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christopher I
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The Hotel Paradox is a new upscale hotel in Santa Cruz, the first of it's kind in the area. Very contemporary, modern, clean, and a friendly staff. It has been completely remodeled and everything is new. It has a very unique design and decoration to give the hotel a bit of the Redwood forest meets the beach feel, which is what Santa Cruz is all about. Room was well designed, everything new, comfortable bed. It's a short walk to downtown Santa Cruz and you can even walk to the boardwalk. I have already booked my next stay at the hotel and looking forward to experiencing it again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Beau32
Reviewed September 8, 2012

What a wonderful, clean and beautiful place to stay. My husband and I were traveling from Boise back home to the OC and decided to make a stop in Santa Cruz. I travel and stay in many hotels for work and I'd have to say Paradox has jumped to the top of my list. The hotel is modern with a nature feel to it, I liked that the products provided and food served were Eco friendly, animal friendly and local/ organic. For me a comfy bed is key and it did not disappoint after our long drive. The towels and robes provided are the softest I've experienced in any hotel across the country. The ambience is great! We did not mind it but noticed that there were some paint splatters in the room and elevators ... If that kind of stuff bothers you. Be sure to have the food, the chilaquiles were delicious!

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank Tiffany714
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Dear Visitor,

Thank you for noticing our comfortable beds, silky smooth bed linens and plush terry in the bathrooms. We are striving for exceeding expectations and I will share in particular with our culinary staff that you thoroughly enjoyed your meals in our Solaire Restaurant + Bar. I will have our maintenance department walk the area's that you noted that had some touch up from our recent renovation.
Please call me directly 831-600-4501 for your next visit and I will insure VIP treatment.
Warm regards,