Club Ed Santa Cruz Surf School
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Decided to try a surfing lesson on a recent trip to Northern California. I knew it would be hard but I wasn't counting on just how hard it was! I give surfers all the credit in the world for making it look so easy! Met with the instructor and people in a small group by the beach. Juliano was really supportive, accomodating, and did his best to get everyone up and surfing. I did end up catching one wave which I was very proud of! The price was great for what you get with the lesson and I highly recommend this school. Very laid back but professional

All reviews
"private lesson"
in 7 reviews
"great teacher"
in 5 reviews
"teaching style"
in 2 reviews
"stand up paddle boarding"
"surf school"
in 7 reviews
in 8 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had unexected FUN today, the 16th of March 2013! I have ZERO experience in surfing (I don't even know what to wear under that rental wet suit) and my 7 year old kid has ZERO experience taking formal swimming lessons. Both of us had never taken a dip in the cold, frigid California waters. In fact, because we did not have any expectations for the surfing lessons for this day, I chose a 4:00 pm one-hour-lesson-for-two in an almost low tide (it was still high tide when we were paddling out to sea) Cowell Beach, where we were not expecting to catch a wave. It took me three years, or so, to sign up for surfing lessons, and when I did, my kid ( who has more guts than me) convincingly talks me into having the lessons with her. Sky and Matt of CLUB ED made us surf while prioritizing our safety, built our confidence by giving us a sense of accomplishment and gave us FUN back when we least expected it. Sky taught us the basics of surfing in the beach without overloading our brains. Matt taught me how to demonstrate what Sky taught us. Sky "tandemed" with my kid on his board at least 4 or 5 times without dropping her into the water and made her stand up on the board with him in less than an hour's time! Matt taught me to stand up and balance on the board at sea, tread to navigate my board to the right or left, and remember the words "catch the wave...paddle... kneel the left knee...pop up," in my head, while actually trying very hard to surf. So, if you are a rookie/newbie/pleabian in surfing, like us, sign up and catch the wave with Sky and Matt! They will make the impossible happen and will actually let you surf within less than an hour's time--- all you need to do is bring your guts with you. They are very good (they know what they are talking about) straight A +++++ surfing instructors (take that from a person who seldom gives any compliment to anyone)!

2  Thank gig938
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were in town and wanted something to do so we tried surfing. My friend and I and my 10 year old daughter were all first time surfers. Ed and Matt were both great. We got up on our boards very fast. They just told us when to paddle and stand up. All of us had a great time. Will definitely take another lesson in the future.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was my 2nd experience surfing and it was absolutely fantastic! The surf instructors provided exactly what I needed. I'm fairly athletic and like to try new things so I was only looking for a little guidance to get up on the waves. They fit the bill and pushed me further. What most impressed me was the care they took care of all their students. A young girl (probably about 11 yo) was next to me for the first part of the lesson on the sand. I sensed she was a bit nervous & hesitant about the whole thing. One of the instructors made sure she got the one on one attention she needed to feel comfortable. Midway through the lesson she was grinning ear to ear and loving it. What a testimate to the great job they did to catering to all the needs in a big class!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I took lessons at Eds Surf Camp recently. Surfing is something that I always wanted to try, but the conditions were never quite available (or so I thought.)

I signed up for a lesson; a tad nervous since I am an older cowgirl. I signed up a month or two in advance. Ed called me personally to discuss when and where the conditions were best for the day I wanted to take the lesson. I took a private lesson. Both Ed and the instructor put my mind at ease enough that I thought "maybe I have a chance."

I actually did well and got up and surfed 3x during the first lesson. I signed up again for a lesson the next morning and again, SUCCESS.

Because I had friends visiting, I had previously signed up for a group lesson the third day. The conditions were not quite as good and it was more crowded, but I did well again.

This was a great experience. The only downside was that I could just kick myself for waiting so long to try this.

I will say that I try to stay in fairly good shape, even with my desk job, and have windsurfed in the past and kayak regularly. I have a decent sense of balance.

Still, Ed's School really *ups* your chances for success because they break things down. Also, the areas they teach are good spots for beginners.

They can advise you when and where the best area is for the time you are on vacation. They advised me to meet with them earlier than I might have liked to while on vacation. By listening, it improved the wind and currents for my success.

1  Thank groovin087