“Good Price, Nice Place”
Review of Continental Inn

Continental Inn
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed December 27, 2010

My wife and another friend stayed in two rooms recently. Very clean. Very nice staff and good breakfast food. The rooms are very small but were remodeled recently so everything seemed new. The rooms had a microwave, small refigerator, ironing board and hair dryer. The price was very good for Santa Cruz. The neighborhood is pretty nice and within about a 15 minute walk to the boardwalk. About a10 minute walk to the downtown strip. Nothing too fancy but we'd stay again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Looking for a good night's sleep, safe location, centrally located...at a good rate. We got exactly that. No frills. Friendly and courteous staff. Tiny room; but staff was glad to give us a roll-away bed we squeezed in so we all had our own bed! Travelers were me and two teens. Not too noisey (ear plugs worked fine for light sleepers) - Extra Mile store next door for junk food. Walk to central town, museum, entertainment, restaurants. Walk 'bout mile to Boardwalk - $7.50 to take cab back. Car stayed parked all weekend right outside room. Didn't care 'bout pool or spa. Kids were plenty happy with wifi Facebook connection! Free AM paper & muffins & coffee were enough for breakfast. Guess we were easy to please, but we didn't expect more than breakfast munchies, clean sheets, soft pillows, a hot shower and central location for the price......pay more-get more....this place was just fine!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2010

I stayed at the Continental Inn for one night on the way to San Luis Obispo and had a very good stay. The room was fairly spacious, it was very clean with a powerful shower, fridge and coffeemaker. The continental breakfast was very nice with unexpected choice, they had a wafflemaker and a fridge full of yoghurts, fruit, danishes, etc.. As a solo female traveller, I didn't want to stay in a groundfloor room and they gave me one on the first floor to the front of the property without any problems, athough that meant that the room was facing the main road - which wasn't really a problem for me. It is a fairly long walk to the Boardwalk, but can be done. I thought the place was very good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2010

This Hotel list as Luxury Hotel and affordable prices. Well the old saying to good to be true. If you get a deal from a web site offering under 50.00 per night the Mgr will put you in an old unit. Her Customer service skills are horible and the hotel is not clean we had hair in our bed and after requesting a new blanket she then brought us a bed spread insted of a clean blanet this had pubic hair and blood on it and a cigarett burn , She refused to take a clean one off a bed to make her guest happy, the floor had hair all over it they do not clean well we had to clean our feet with a wet cloth before we got into bed. The mgr is rude andhas no customer service skills, So if you want service and a clean place to stay , stay clear of the place. You truely get what you pay for , she was mad her staff gave us a room the rented for 79.00 per night , this was the room that we found not clean and came with her bad attitude because her staff did not put us in the old hotel, He was only doing a good job! by offering us a nicer room, Kris has good customer service skills. The Mgr should be fired by the owners.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sharidavid
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We stayed in the Boutique room which was the remolded rooms , very nice , but small I would have liked to had our room a little bigger. We had young kids with us so the continental breakfast I thought was lovely , great choices inc...... Waffles , cereal, fruit,yogurt,bagels and pasteries, hard boiled eggs and of coarse tea , coffee and hot chocolate for the kids . I would say the one down fall was that the Hotel was split in two so On one side you had the pool and the other you had the hot Tub we stayed on the side with the hot tub but the street to cross is busy so we just gathered the kids in the car and shot across the street . ALso I liked that the pool and hot tub were very clean and so were the grounds of the hotel . I also liked it was easy to find right off the freeway and down about a mile or so. It is NOT walking distance to the boardwalk , you would have to drive but driving not far. The staff was very nice and we felt comfortable in our surroundings. I would recommend this hotel to someone anytime .

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2010

The rooms were nicely decorated and the staff were friendly. Breakfast was decent, but not great. Beyond that, I can't believe I spent $150 on a redecorated Travel Lodge style motel. I priced B&B in the surrounding area for about the same price and will definitely be staying in one next time (booked too late to find a vacancy at one this time). Down sides: tiny room (though well decorated), light glared in around the edges of the blinds all night, outside access to rooms means people walking past our window into the wee hours of the morning, extremely squeaky spring mattress (enough said?), and there was a hot tub in the parking lot -no secure keyed entry, so transients that frequent that part of town can join you for a soak. Pool was across the busy Oceans street. No option to view movies, only HBO.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I work for an internet review site so you can be sure I spent hours upon hours researching hotels in Santa Cruz. I was planning a weekend getaway for my friends and myself for my birthday. I was paying for the room so everyone could come- I wanted something that was nice without totally breaking the bank.
Most of the other reputable hotels in the area had 2 night minimums- I was SO glad to find a nice hotel that didn't! It was a leisurely 10-15 minute walk to the beach and was a great way to see more of the town. It also made us realize how much safer the area we were in was than that by the beach!
We got in early and our room was not clean. They offered to put us in a clean room immediately (2 hours before check in time) but it wouldn't have been a "Boutique" room so we decided to wait (and it was only half an hour!). They gave us the keys too, so we went and had lunch and came back to a BEAUTIFUL room!
The room had beautiful wood floors and wood beds along with tasteful decorations and nice rugs. The bathroom also had granite and a make-up mirror which was a nice touch. The microwave and refrigerator also came in handy!
We walked to and from the beach and it was a nice stroll. We also walked to lunch at the "Santa Cruz Diner" (recommended if you want the local feel). For dinner we did the Itialian place kitty corner to the hotel. It turned out fantastically as they were hosting a graduation party equipped with disco lights and blasting music! It made for a great celebration of my birthday.
Parking was convenient and there was both a pool and hot tub at the hotel. There were both families and young people staying there so it is really suitable for everyone. I highly recommend the Boutique Rooms! They come with wood floors, nice furniture and classy decor. These rooms truly do NOT feel like a hotel!
At one point my friends and I set off the fire alarms from the candles on my cupcakes (apparently I'm getting old!) but we were pleasantly surprised that we were able to fan the smoke out and turn the alarms off without any issue with hotel staff.
I could not have been more pleased with my experience at the Continental Inn. It was extremely clean, nicer than most upscale hotels I've stayed in (and I stayed at Shangri-Las growing up in Asia). It truly was a 5 star value.
For everyone who is thinking of staying right near the boardwalk- BEWARE! That area is TRULY shady. My friends and I are in our mid 20s and we were appalled by the clientele as we passed by such motels. You're much better off taking a leisurely stroll to the beach and avoiding all the weirdos at night! We felt much safer with our belongings and cars away from that area.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends