“Fraud by tiffany and lies by manager Tracy Guzman”
Review of Continental Inn

Continental Inn
Ranked #22 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I am thankful I did not stay here, but a friend (ex-friend) of our family had a family emergency and had to travel to Santa Cruz - he called and asked if I would help him out with a hotel room until he arranged to stay with family members - i spoke with the clerk, Tiffany on the phone and told her I would pay for one night only - I repeat ONE NIGHT ONLY - she said it would be $65 and gave her my credit card info and didn't think anything further. The friend was suppose to arrive home the following Saturday but never called for a ride - well come to find out he was still sitting in the hotel room. I found this out by going on line to pay my credit card and seeing a charge of close to $300 on my credit card. Called the hotel and spoke with Tiffany and manager Tracy Guzman and told them I only gave them permission for one night!!!! they charged me 8 nights but agreed to take off some ???? and charge me$257.90. I filed a complaint wih Discover and received a letter that Tracy Guzman had written to them - she stated that I checked in with my friend and provided them with my license and credit card and told them I was paying for the room. Accordingly to her I saw my friend all 8 days he was at the hotel. Kind of hard to do since I live in Phoenix, Az and have plenty of proof - especially since I was at work all week! Guess I have a twin??? The letter she wrote my credit card company was full of lies lies lies - my credit card company paid them!!!!!! I can't believe the way this hotel operates and would never ever trust them to have any important imformation as it was really convienent that they couldn't produce proof that I was there and that I gave them my license and credit card - because of the law. I am filing a complaint with the BBB and the attorney generals office - granted I learned a valuable lesson in not trusting low life friends, but now you can't even trust the clerks and managers of a hotel!!!

Room Tip: don't stay there
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank jeanette b
There are newer reviews for Continental Inn

Reviewed December 19, 2012

wow. beautiful hardwood floors, super cute, beach-y decor complete with framed prints of old santa cruz postcards, this place is amazing. the room is tiny and can barely fit the bed, but it is gorgeous and doesn't smell like a homeless person was sleeping here the night before, Great location because you're a 5 minute walk from downtown, perfect for after a night at the catalyst, and you're only a 10 minute walk from the beach! i wish i could live here, the room was so beautiful and the wi-fi is super-fast too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank MckinleyAlvarez
Reviewed October 24, 2012

What a horrible experience. The only positive thing I have to say about this motel is that the rooms were very clean. Other than that, the entire stay was a disaster. From our room not being ready until over 2 hours after we were told, to the "heated pool" being dirty, cold and ACROSS THE STREET, and the "Spa" in the back corner of the parking lot, I am honestly surprised this motel is still operating. Upon trying to discuss my experience with the motel manager, she couldn't stop herself from telling me how terrible she has it there to listen to my issues as a customer. And good luck trying to speak with the owner, I was told by 2 different employees that they don't know her name, and only see her once every 2 weeks, to get paid. Poorly managed, horribly ran and pathetic excuse for a motel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank carrie g
Reviewed September 7, 2012

just asking around in Santa Cruz, looking for a non expencive hotel/motel to stay for a weekend in the city, we found this hotel and was very very good. Big breakfast, very clean and comfortable rooms, free internet.
I told the hostess that i was going to positively review this place and I did it.
Ciao from Milan (Italy)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had a conference to attend and all the other places I checked were much more expensive than this one. The Inn isn't is as trendy of a place, but is still only a few miles from the coast. I didn't have any of the issues with my room that others wrote about. The jacuzzi is out back in the corner of a small lot, but I didn't use it. If there was a 'musty' smell, I didn't notice it as I like the windows open. I stay in hotels 3-4 nights a week for work, and although not a pricey brand, was fine for an 'inexpensive' nights stay. (I have seen a lot dirtier and in need to repair at the big name hotels.) The price I got out the door for a night was $75.20 and most other places I tried wanted over $100 for a room that night. Not in the budget for a 12 hour stay, so I picked the Continental and it was a pleasant stay.
I found the bathroom just fine and room itself was clean too. Laminate flooring replaced the dirty dark colored carpets you find at most chain hotels. There was a fridge & a microwave which was nice as I had leftovers with me. Included are some pix I took of my room.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Trixie_Flygal
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel is disgusting. The pictures they showed us is completely different from the actual hotel room. We showed up at 3 p.m( check in time), our room wasn't ready until 5. The room smelled of musty air. The bed had a blood stain. It reminded me of a run down Motel 6. My child slept on a towel because she was afraid of getting dirty. The area is gross. We got cornered and chased by a hobo. The hot tub is in the middle of the parking lot.It's dirty too. The pool is across the street with the rest of the hotel. They also have a lot of cats running around. Lastly, we asked for our money back. The owner gave us half of our money back after crying. The owner literly cried giving us back half the money. I would stay away. I would recammend staying down the road at Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Go to a differnt hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Megan M
Reviewed July 4, 2012

changed hotels last minute due to terrible reviews of another hotel so we were expecting this one to be much better, how wrong we were. The hotel is extremely noisy with loud banging stomping around over head, next door shower is like a drill through the wall and the neighbourhood is really rough.
Room is fair but small and view was of a wall. If you can avoid this place do so as we made the mistake of booking this place for 2 nights. Santa Cruz is very different from Monterey and other nice towns along the coast so it will come as quite a shock to the system the location, noise and crowd in this area

Room Tip: book anywhere else
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple